Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 145
  1. #76
    Incredible Member Thundershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    762

    Default

    I enjoyed it for the most part. The art was distracting. And it took a bit to figure out what was actually going on, but most of the character beats were good. I just hope Warren doesn’t have sex with another Gen X girl lol

  2. #77

    Default

    I agree with a lot of the comments here.

    I like the concept...the mutant business world..that's new and different, but the writing was just all over the place. I don't care for Howard's Excalibur writing, but I was hoping "maybe les fantasy and more "real world" would suit her more...nope. And I was really annoyed that Roberto was referred to as "Beto"

    The art was functional, but largely ugly. While I'm no fashion guru, I was distracted by how ugly M's "business" suit was...It didn't feel business chic or mutant chic or even attractive, and Monet seemed to me to be one who's always dressed to impress. shurg.

    Of the characters, only Trinary read consistent to me, and that's just because I've never seen her before. Everyone else was just off in some "if this was setting up pod people stories, it'd be clever, but it's just not good" way
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

  3. #78
    Incredible Member davetvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    812

    Default

    I liked it. I'm intrigued by the premise and excited to see how much worldbuilding this book is able to contribute. Also love the cast. Art isn't my fav but it's not hideous.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    So if X-Corp is doing the manufacture and sale of the drugs; what is Hellfire’s purpose?

  5. #80
    BANNED Rang10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    To be fair Brazil was holding Warren hostage so it was a rescue mission more than anything.
    It wasnt brazil the country, but a corrupt bussiness man. He was really held? because he just flew and they started shooting when they saw a big island floating above them.
    First thing is negotiations not invade foreign airspace, Brazil can say this is a act of war

    Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    So if X-Corp is doing the manufacture and sale of the drugs; what is Hellfire’s purpose?
    distribution of the drugs, it was well established many books ago

  6. #81
    Poor Hacked Diamond Lil Nevets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    507

    Default

    The art, at least with Angel, was a little flat...other than that, I really enjoyed this. Monet was amazing. Happy to see Trinary.

  7. #82
    Astonishing Member Thievery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I enjoyed it for the most part. The art was distracting. And it took a bit to figure out what was actually going on, but most of the character beats were good. I just hope Warren doesn’t have sex with another Gen X girl lol
    I didn't have a hard time figuring out what was going on, so that didn't stop my enjoyment of the comic.

    I didn't pick up on the idea that many people think that Warren and Monet will start dating. Many other people who read the comic came away with that impression. I will have to read the comic again.

    It wouldn't bother me if Archangel were to bang another Gen X girl. Just so long as he doesn't do it in front of her family.

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    It wasnt brazil the country, but a corrupt business man. He was really held? because he just flew and they started shooting when they saw a big island floating above them.
    First thing is negotiations not invade foreign airspace, Brazil can say this is a act of war
    He was in enemy territory so best to be safe than sorry. They already had a deal and the dude decided to change the terms with a threat. Then ended up blowing up the Savage Land lab anyway. Bad dude.
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

  9. #84
    BANNED Rang10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    He was in enemy territory so best to be safe than sorry. They already had a deal and the dude decided to change the terms with a threat. Then ended up blowing up the Savage Land lab anyway. Bad dude.
    Well the comic treats it completely wrong, the bussiness man isn't even brazilian nor the country is responsible for it.

  10. #85

    Default

    Didn't love it. I feel bad for Tini because people are going to attack her even more. I think she has amazing ideas just doesn't seem to get her characters voices. Maybe she should be an editor? Could be good for someone so organized, smart and creative as she clearly is.

    As for the art...I love the setting, the color, but not that much the faces.

    I also hate hate how north americans are paining Brazilians as the new villains, enemies of democracy in the comics when all we did was to be unfortunate to have a maniac elected. Just like the maniac US elected and got rid of last year.
    A picture would last longer darling...

  11. #86
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Not for me, the art and writing or even character motivations weren't intriguing enough for me to stick around. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of Tini's execution in Excalibur, but I was hoping she could offer something different.

    I didn't like her voices for Monet, Warren, or Madrox, I appreciate the inclusion of Trinary because she's amazing. But this title imo has already broken the cardinal rule of a new ongoing...no clear mission statement or purpose for this book.

    A few slight changes could have saved this title but the current offering isn't what it needed to be in this era for me. Oh and that art is off-putting I especially dislike the character models for Monet and Warren their awful.

  12. #87
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    After seeing SWORD's [gorgeous, interesting, stylish]launch, this was embarrassing. I don't know how, after bumbling through 20 issues of Excalibur, Howard managed to score another book... but this was clunky. Monet grew up an ambassadors daughter. She's never managed a business in her life. This corporate persona did not mesh well with her established canon. Bullying Warren didn't read well either; he's close to a decade older than her and actually did grow up with an entrepreneurial family, and has controlled their business personally over the years. I recently read Claremont's X-Treme X-pose story from decades ago ago, and his X-Corporation Warren reads so much better. The characterizations of Madrox and Trinary were all over the place too. Art and plot; pretty boring.

    I feel like the concept of mutant business would be better served by smooshing this and Marauders; Warren(CXO), Emma(CXO), Shaw(Hellfire Distribution), Roberto(Brand Ambassador), Monet(Brand Ambassador), Trinary(Information Technology), Forge(Development), Prodigy(Development), Sage(cyber security), Bishop(security), Madrox(human resources) doing development, distribution, corporate sabotage/intrigue would be better. Get that dragon lawyer in here too.
    So where did this idea of Monet being a business mogul come from?
    "Cable was right!"

  13. #88
    Fantastic Member johnnysv75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Didn't love it. I feel bad for Tini because people are going to attack her even more. I think she has amazing ideas just doesn't seem to get her characters voices. Maybe she should be an editor? Could be good for someone so organized, smart and creative as she clearly is.
    My problem with Tini is that she is in such a hurry to get where she wants to go that she forgets the steps that people have to take to get there. In the first issues of Excalibur the team is sort of randomly put together for a mission. But after the mission is completed they stay together, even though there doesn’t seem to be a reason for them to continue to work together. When they are in Otherworld, and Shogo gets hurt when he is turned into a dragon, Psylocke says to her: ”Soon, Shogo will be back home and torturing Maggie.” (Brian and Meggan’s kid) They had hardly interacted but Tini wrote them as they were family. Julio becomes a druid, just like that, and without having that many scenes with Apocalypse develops a teacher/student relationship with him, and misses him like crazy when he is gone.

    I wish she would slow things down and let things develop naturally.

  14. #89
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I'm always a little surprised when X-Men readers complain about there being to much dialogue in a comic. Claremont always stuffed his comics with a lot of dialogue. And, many of the writers that came after him imitated his verbose style.

    Not that your wrong. Many X-Men comics are to verbose.

    Perhaps Howard felt the need to make sure that things were given long explanations because a big criticism of her Excalibur work that I have noticed is that people get confused as to what is going on and can't always understand the characters' motivations or personalities. I disagree with that criticism.

    I'm not trying to criticize your post, so please don't take offense at my response.
    Claremont and other writers are normally paired with art teams who can portray the story with good panels thereby subsidizing the need to read all the text.

    What the heck am I going to do with a bunch of panels with characters making faces at each other? and text covering up the rest?
    "Cable was right!"

  15. #90
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    So where did this idea of Monet being a business mogul come from?
    Same as Angel.

    She was born to a rich mysterious family. That's the main qualification unfortunately.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •