Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Having finally sat down to read this, I thought it was fine? The premise was always corporate mutants and I feel like it delivered on that completely. Monet lashing out also feels fine. Hasn't the thing been that the aloof cool girl persona was a facade and she's pretty insecure and temperamental underneath? I've been rereading PAD's X-Factor and she flies off the handle quite a bit there as well.

I think the biggest thing is it's just a boring premise. It doesn't feel like something that needs to be its' own book but rather a b-plot somewhere else. Tini delivers but it never felt like something that was going to be earth shattering, imo.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Having finally sat down to read this, I thought it was fine? The premise was always corporate mutants and I feel like it delivered on that completely. Monet lashing out also feels fine. Hasn't the thing been that the aloof cool girl persona was a facade and she's pretty insecure and temperamental underneath? I've been rereading PAD's X-Factor and she flies off the handle quite a bit there as well.

I think the biggest thing is it's just a boring premise. It doesn't feel like something that needs to be its' own book but rather a b-plot somewhere else. Tini delivers but it never felt like something that was going to be earth shattering, imo.
    There's your issue. lol You're reading PAD Monet.

He was not a good writer for Monet in general, and people who were fans of her character prior to him usually don't care for how much of a PMSing hateful bitch she turned into the second half of that run.

PAD Monet is one a good few don't wanna see repeat of. Of course she's already better than PAD Monet in that she can admit her mistakes and thus far doesn't seem hateful & cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I did wonder what was up with that scene. Was she trying to slash at the missiles coming at Warren with her Penance claws? Who knows. They did all mysteriously miss the floating HQ anyway, maybe she shot her claws at them, or used TK, or Trinary did something?
    I don't think that those helicopters were firing missiles. They were lasers. Several of the lasers actually hit Angel's wings after he had turned his wings into the metal version. You can even see the burn marks on Angels suit. The helicopters probably hit the flying HQ also. I guess that they just weren't shooting lasers strong enough to do any real damage to it.

I looked at the scene with Warren and Monet's claws again. I think that Angel is meant to be flying so fast past Monet that she cant even act before Angel is behind her. I'm still not sure why she would reach out for him with her claws instead of normal hands. Maybe she was so under the influence of Penance that she wasn't thinking correctly. Or, maybe the scene really was meant to foreshadow some sort of confrontation between Penance and Archangel. Or, maybe the art just botched the scene. Who knows.

Mighty Member

Against my better judgment and knowing Tini’s record on Excalibur, I downloaded this today. Yeah it’s a mess. I hate the concept of the floating island. If you must have them floating it would have been much more interesting to see the metal structures on the island that are all connected be able to remove from the island. And it’s random that they are now able to channel the gates to teleport over the gates. Not a fan of that. It wasn’t interesting. Bringing the UN into the Savage Land and then blowing up the plant was kind of pointless. I see it will bring the UN more against Krakoa for building in a preserve and then ruining it with the plant explosion. For me, this just wasn’t interesting. There was no excitement about the concept. I think about the issue of X-men when they went to the diplomatic dinner and there was a sense of danger (quelled by Cyclops and Gorgon) and the talks at dinner. That was more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ooh, a perfect launch! We did something that people from SHIELD to Graviton to Terrax to Dr. Doom to Polaris have done, made a building / island float. And all it cost us was everything we had, our entire operation! Go us! Worst launch ever. Cigars and promotions all around.
    yeah, I meant to mention this...I'm not sure how something that is fairly common place in the world (big flying things) is an incredible launch image, from a business POV.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    yeah, I meant to mention this...I'm not sure how something that is fairly common place in the world (big flying things) is an incredible launch image, from a business POV.
    It serves no purpose whatsoever. It makes the island less secure by being a gigantic target, must consume a ton of resources to keep in the air, and violates tons of treaties and borders by flying into everyone's airspace. It doesn't even have a WOW factor because this sort of thing is super common in Marvel, especially from supervillains. Hell, given that they are friends with Namor who is currently "attack anyone who goes underwater" mode, being in the ocean would have been safer! And having a flying HQ does in no way shape or form deal with the whole "blowing up a factory in UN nature preserve" problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    We saw many times when countries disrespect other countries territorial limits it can start a war, Krako did exactly this with the floatig island. You shouldnt send a person into foreign territory without a back up plan.
    2. It is brazilian government function get Angel out
    1. You need to understand that Angel was held captive prior to the rescue. Action's have consequences, and Jean Pierre made his choice and paid the price. You know what else starts wars, taking people hostage.
    2. This is a non-starter, Brazil doesn't recognize Krakoa so they wouldn't seem likely help Angel out. Krakoa did what any other country would do. Brazil's problem is Jean Pierre, not Krakoa.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

I actually really liked this. The first couple of pages were a bit boring but it slowly got better. And I love the fact that Trinary is back! One of the best things to come out of Xmen Red. Tbh I understand why this book isn't everbodies cup of tea but I really love the focus on how mich Krakoa and Xavier have shaken up the world and how humans are reacting to it.

You can tell this was definitely supposed to be a DoX book tho. I'm actually impressed how much I liked this is this really Tini? This reads MUCH better than Excalibur and the make up of the team actually makes sense. I feel like there's definitely gonna be some conflict between Madrox and Monet she was very callous over the dupes deaths and loss of research. All in all a good 7/10.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    It serves no purpose whatsoever. It makes the island less secure by being a gigantic target, must consume a ton of resources to keep in the air, and violates tons of treaties and borders by flying into everyone's airspace. It doesn't even have a WOW factor because this sort of thing is super common in Marvel, especially from supervillains. Hell, given that they are friends with Namor who is currently "attack anyone who goes underwater" mode, being in the ocean would have been safer! And having a flying HQ does in no way shape or form deal with the whole "blowing up a factory in UN nature preserve" problem.
    I think people are really underestimating the psychological impact of seeing a flying Island hovering above your head. And just because gigantic flying machines are more common in the Marvel first doesn't mean it isn't still incredibly newsworthy especially when the mutants who literally just establish an island nation a year ago and circular plant gates and habitats around the world in the matter of 6 months then came out with three Miracle drugs show up with ANOTHER island and this one FLIES. .

As for the conversation about resources one thing we do know about this era is that mutants are self-reliant and I'm sure any talk of massive resources was already settled upon long before the construction of a flying Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    1. You need to understand that Angel was held captive prior to the rescue. Action's have consequences, and Jean Pierre made his choice and paid the price. You know what else starts wars, taking people hostage.
    2. This is a non-starter, Brazil doesn't recognize Krakoa so they wouldn't seem likely help Angel out. Krakoa did what any other country would do. Brazil's problem is Jean Pierre, not Krakoa.
    1. Jean Pierre is not Brazil goverment. Foreign actors can't act in other countries without these countries authorization. It was Brazil law enforcement problem to deal with it not Krakoa.

2. They didn't even try to contact the local goverment first to see if they could do something. No country of the world would do this, imagine USA flying war ships on china? yeah it was wrong

One of the problems of the status quo is that it wants to play real world seriousness without really knowing how it works

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I think people are really underestimating the psychological impact of seeing a flying Island hovering above your head. And just because gigantic flying machines are more common in the Marvel first doesn't mean it isn't still incredibly newsworthy especially when the mutants who literally just establish an island nation a year ago and circular plant gates and habitats around the world in the matter of 6 months then came out with three Miracle drugs show up with ANOTHER island and this one FLIES. .

As for the conversation about resources one thing we do know about this era is that mutants are self-reliant and I'm sure any talk of massive resources was already settled upon long before the construction of a flying Island.
    It's not big deal on Marvel universe. There is too much fantastical things on MU to make a flying island something special, specially after blowing up a ONU wildlife protection
    Last edited by Rang10; 05-16-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

1. Jean Pierre is not Brazil goverment. Foreign actors can't act in other countries without these countries authorization. It was Brazil law enforcement problem to deal with it not Krakoa.

2. They didn't even try to contact the local goverment first to see if they could do something. No country of the world would do this, imagine USA flying war ships on china? yeah it was wrong

One of the problems of the status quo is that it wants to play real world seriousness without really knowing how it works

It's not big deal on Marvel universe. There is too much fantastical things on MU to make a flying island something special, specially after blowing up a ONU wildlife protection
    And there you go again trying to rewrite canon lol it's clearly still a big deal. Because it made the NEWS. Frontpage news. Just because YOU don't I think it's a big deal doesn't mean the people of the Marvel Universe don't think it's a big deal. Which it clearly did since it made headlines.

This is going to be the last I comment on this because you keep changing your arguments and clearly don’t want to admit you’re wrong, but 1) Brazil harboring a person like Jean Pierre isn’t okay just like Pakistan harboring Bin Landen wasn’t okay.

2) China is literally flying into foreign airspace all the time and Japan and Tiwain, both US allies have threatened action but haven’t done it, but that is not the same as say the US raiding a foreign country to rescue a citizen which happens ALL THE TIME!

We get it, you want to take every opportunity to crap on this era, at least keep your arguments straight.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Incredible Member

I like the premise, but it is a hard read. The artwork is not clear at conveying information (Just try to interpret the panels of Penance swiping at the air, in the direction of Angel, when he is flying back), and the dialogue is verbose (but in a cocaine-addled, pressurized way) and use a Comic-sans type font.

As someone without a background reading Penance, the way she is portrayed (specifically her decision making) comes across as all over the place. When reading this I thought back to the first issue of SWORD, which is very similar. Both introduce the reader to a new organization, the way two leaders balance each other (Brand/Magneto and Monet/Warren), and the organization chart. SWORD is vastly superior in how clearly it is able to do this. Brand comes across as a jerk, but a competent jerk. Conversely, Monet just comes across as a jerk, who is just happens to be right.

Fantastic Member

this book was so awful easily the worst book since the x-line relaunched. besides a beyond boring cast sketchy artwork nothing worked. From monet in lobdells gen x, to pad x-factor to bunns uncanny her characertization was just so far off and bad, no chance this last more than the 5 issues planned

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    this book was so awful easily the worst book since the x-line relaunched. besides a beyond boring cast sketchy artwork nothing worked. From monet in lobdells gen x, to pad x-factor to bunns uncanny her characertization was just so far off and bad, no chance this last more than the 5 issues planned
    So this is a 5 issue mini?

Monet characterizaton is the worse one. I know the writers intention but I think execution was awful