Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    My issue being that the "every single mutant in the world is oppressed and hated" thematic had been the dominant one the past two decades and that it feels like the universe took a 180 degree turn so quickly for this series to be based on this scenario.

Like i said it would have felt more appropiate if the status quo had some time to stay changed for a while, before establishing this series. But perhaps that's just me.
    That is just a problem with thinking any one event or one writer's story is all that defining of the whole of the Marvel Universe. There were plenty of times since M Day that mutants were 'just fine'. Other than stories revolving around Norman Osborn, Red Skull, Cassandra Nova and the Inhumans, mutants have not been all that hated. They have just had too many crappy stories focusing on moping about becoming extinct because those are the stories the writers decided to tell and they just take so damn long telling them, but if those were so definitive, why would San Francisco build a museum of mutant history? Wolverine was giving open tours of his Jean Grey school. Storm and Wolverine were members of the Avengers. Someone hating mutants is just always going to be brought back in to the stories because it is an easy means of making a threat.

Enjoyed the issue but the space ship and space stuff came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't disagree with what you are saying or saying how you feel is wrong but a book like this what the line needs to break that feeling. We know everybody on earth does not hate mutants but without the perspective of humans around who are showing that they are okay mutants the books feel very much feel like the majority of marvel is hateful. I mean Avengers and X-men don't even do the friendly colleague thing anymore so you don't even have those humans liking mutants. I mean other than Kyle and Shogo do any humans like mutants? I am just saying a book like this is good. Especially because once upon a time imo the X-men were almost neutral mutant and human conflict allowing the X-men to be love superheroes as well.
    There are plenty of humans who love mutants, they just tend to die as redshirts about as often as the ugly background mutants do/did.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Enjoyed the issue but the space ship and space stuff came out of nowhere.
    Exactly why were they on a space ship ?, very slow issue with no action.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

I think the spaceship will be explored later when we follow Benny perspective since each issue follows a character so far. I think it was Benny but it was stated one of them ran on to the spaceship and they went after him.

I'm expecting one character to be a mutant and one to get powers from the spaceship flight so there is at least 2 powered people.
    Last edited by jwatson; 05-14-2021 at 05:31 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think the spaceship will be explored later when we follow Benny perspective since each issue follows a character so far. I think it was Benny but it was stated one of them ran on to the spaceship and they went after him.

I'm expecting one character to be a mutant and one to get powers from the spaceship flight so there is at least 2 powered people.
    It was Jay Jay who ran to check out the ship. If we do get Benny next, then my guess is Jay Jay is the mutant since he would be issue #5. He is the younger one who was not part of the group, then again that might make him too much like the Molly of the group. I'm still convinced none of them are mutants though because I think they would still be able to go through the gate even without having manifested yet, but who knows. The rules of Krakoa are too fluid.

I must admit that I have been completely lost with this comic.

eh...still not feeling this comic...also, I'm guessing the Carmen chick is turning into a Brood very slowly

i hope King Broo shows up to save them

I’m really enjoying these characters, but the pacing of the comic is curious.

At the end of issue 2, we see Storm give the children a communicator. Then, for the last page, we jump forward in time and see the children approach a gate ready to walk through again, reading ‘to be continued.’ We start issue 3 with no reference to that evening. What was the purpose of the last page of issue 2, if it was just the exact same as the end of issue 1 (when they tried to walk through a gate), without progressing anything forward or developing any character? Am I missing subtext?
    Last edited by Adam; 05-14-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by guy_gardner View Post
    I'm guessing the Carmen chick is turning into a Brood very slowly
    While I am enjoying what they're doing with this story (not really knowing what the hell is actually going on is quite refreshing) I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the panel of Carmen changing.

Hey, if you're going full-on X-Men cosplay homage then you need a proper X-Men villain to nail the verisimilitude, and since virtually all of the X-Men's villains are currently shacked up with them on Countdown Island, having the Brood sleaze their way all over these kids' wide-eyed dreams of superheroic LARPing adds just the right spice of tragedy to make it work.

eh...still not feeling this comic...also, I'm guessing the Carmen chick is turning into a Brood very slowly

Great pick up, lets hope you are right.
    This issue was very ordinary compared to the first two issues.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member

I've been pondering a bit more about the possible timeline here.

It seems they found their way onto an alien space ship before they decided to go "we are mutant super heros", given how much less confident they seemed at the time.

Of course a space ship comes a bit out of nowhere, but thinking back to the movie Spiderman: Homecomming, it's quite likely there could be a few crashed alien space ships still undiscovered on earth in the Marvel universe from some past alien invasions.
    Basicly super hero versions of "Broken Arrows" which some unlucky or lucky person might stumble upon and start to toy around with the tech inside.

A Skrull space ship in particular could be interesting, given the Skrull's history of trying to replicate or copy powers of super heros for their infiltrators and that the events of Secret Invasion only happend two or three years ago in the marvel comics.

Infact one X-men story in the late 90's featured the X-men visiting the Skrull homeworld in the past, shortly before it was consumed by Galactus and they encountered many skrulls who are training to immitate Earth's heros (the 80's version of the X-men included) using tech to create the effect of their powers.

Sounds familiar?

If the ship was infact a skrull one, forgotten since the events of Secret Invasion (or even earlier) the kids could have easily gotten their hands on tech to both immitate super powers of heros and to mask their true nature.

Now of course the ship itself got destroyed, but even the escape pods might still have some basic equipment to reverse engineer from, if they haven't taken some stuff along in their pants while they were on the ship.
    Likewise we don't know how much they have fumbled around with the tech inside. Even a brief visit in a strange chamber could have resulted in them getting altered to some degree.

Though i do wonder how they actualy managed to get back home from their landing site and somehow convince their parents that nothing happend, since the past issues have shown them to be quite involved with their community or family, that their absence would surely have been noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    That is just a problem with thinking any one event or one writer's story is all that defining of the whole of the Marvel Universe. There were plenty of times since M Day that mutants were 'just fine'. Other than stories revolving around Norman Osborn, Red Skull, Cassandra Nova and the Inhumans, mutants have not been all that hated. They have just had too many crappy stories focusing on moping about becoming extinct because those are the stories the writers decided to tell and they just take so damn long telling them, but if those were so definitive, why would San Francisco build a museum of mutant history? Wolverine was giving open tours of his Jean Grey school. Storm and Wolverine were members of the Avengers. Someone hating mutants is just always going to be brought back in to the stories because it is an easy means of making a threat.
    Well those are some good points to consider i admit.

Brood would be a bit odd, given the ship seems empty and not particular organic.

Could be worse though. She could turn into a female version of Spyke from X-men Evolution, trading exploding cards for flaming spikes (but also a carapace fused to the skin).
    Last edited by Grunty; 05-14-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It was Jay Jay who ran to check out the ship. If we do get Benny next, then my guess is Jay Jay is the mutant since he would be issue #5. He is the younger one who was not part of the group, then again that might make him too much like the Molly of the group.
    Benny refers to Jay Jay as 'little bro' at one point. That might just be how he talks, but they could be brothers. (Presumably adoptive, although half-siblings is also a possibility.)

Extraordinary Member

Finally read the issue. Is Carmen the only one with powers?
    You guys said that was a Brood spaceship?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Finally read the issue. Is Carmen the only one with powers?
    You guys said that was a Brood spaceship?
    That was one persons speculation, but it was pointed out right after by someone else that it doesn't look like Brood organic technology (they usually fly around in infested Acanti space whales, not actual space ships with like escape pods and stuff).