Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Who Is The Most Tragic Supervillain?

In all superhero comics: who and why?

Astonishing Member

Magik in her Dark Chylde persona. She was physically and sexually abused by a demon and grew up in Limbo.

BANNED

If we mean tragic in the Greek or Shakespearan sense:

-- Doctor Doom, full-stop. Has the capacity and virtues of great heroism and great good but several personal flaws and social and political reasons, as well as bad luck, prevent him from becoming a hero.

-- Magneto.

-- The Joker of The Killing Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If we mean tragic in the Greek or Shakespearan sense:

-- Doctor Doom, full-stop. Has the capacity and virtues of great heroism and great good but several personal flaws and social and political reasons, as well as bad luck, prevent him from becoming a hero.

-- The Joker of The Killing Joke.
    In agreement with you about both Doctor Doom & Joker...

I would also add to the list...

Two-Face

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-12-2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Doom hands down. He could be the hero! So. Many. Times! And he knows it.

Two-Face is up there for me but still Dr. Doom.

I think a couple nice outliers are Magneto and Mr. Freeze.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mole Man. - Im ugly, people make fun of me, I cant get laid so I am going to find monsters and pay them back damn it!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Mole Man. - Im ugly, people make fun of me, I cant get laid so I am going to find monsters and pay them back damn it!
    Lol, I think he did have a woman in subteranea at one point. But add to it a blinded Sue Richards roughed him up, Lol.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Mr. Freeze.
    In total agreement with you about Mr. Freeze (especially, the BTAS version):

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-12-2021 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Boisterously Confused

What about Luthor? In every sense, he is the Ubermensch, except envy eats him alive, and it's just Superman on which it fixates.

Then there's The Leader. Deformed by the thing that elevated him from a humble janitor, and now he knows better than the rest of us, and could do so much, but is still a slave to the resentments he formed while still driving a mop.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    What about Luthor?
    What about him?

Luthor unlike Doom or Magneto doesn't have a consistent locked-in place origin and characterization. He's been rebooted and reimagined so many times and none of them have consistency.

The Joker is also similar, but he has a great all-time origin story with The Killing Joke...whereas no story with Luthor is remotely on the same level.

In every sense, he is the Ubermensch, except envy eats him alive, and it's just Superman on which it fixates.
    Those aren't tragic qualities. They are just demonic and negative ones. Iago isn't a tragic character after all, nor is Emperor Palpatine or Lord Voldemort.

I think Luthor in the DCAU can be considered tragic, a brilliant man often outsmarted and blinded and manipulated by larger forces beyond his control.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    In total agreement with you about Mr. Freeze (especially, the BTAS version):

I second that emotion!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I second that emotion!
    Thirded!

I don't get how you can see Dr. Doom as tragic. Everything single problem in his life was caused by his own hubris, and yet he just constantly blames others. Certainly nothing as heart-wrenching as Victor Fries and his lost love.

Extraordinary Member

Magneto who survived the Holocaust as a child. When he tried to save his daughter using his powers people attacked him resulting in her death. Even when he tries to be heroic human prejudice pushes him back towards supervillainy.

Many Batman villains like Mr Freeze or Clayface or Two Face. But they usually have one tragic moment that defines them rather than a lifetime of tragedy like Magneto.

Madelyne Prior. Created to serve an end. Walked out on by her husband soon after giving birth. Selfless enough to give up her life to save the world. Then manipulated by demons and goes crazy when she learns the truth because Marvel needed to salvage Cyclops and not have him bare any blame for what he did.

Magik can't be a tragic villain since she was never a villain. At her darkest she was an anti-hero and the stories always had someone else as the villain.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Madelyne Prior. Created to serve an end. Walked out on by her husband soon after giving birth. Selfless enough to give up her life to save the world. Then manipulated by demons and goes crazy when she learns the truth because Marvel needed to salvage Cyclops and not have him bare any blame for what he did.

Yes, Madelyne Pryor… From a nice girl to the Goblin Queen, she seemed to have been dragged into the dark side against her will after crossing the path of the X-men.

A tool for villains before being a villain herself… as well as a tool for writers (and artists).

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    A truly tragic character if there was ever one.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Everything single problem in his life was caused by his own hubris,
    That's the definition of tragic.