Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default How would you plan Peter's 60 anniversary?

So we all know August 2022 will be the 60th anniversary of the debut of Peter Parker.

We know that Marvel are desperate to have as many issues of amazing spider-man out as possible to the fact that the series is basically going weekly for the rest of the year. only october 20th doesnt have a new issue of amazing spider-man.

Instead of a single writer with a plan, we have a hive mind of writers which did not work last time they tried that, there is too many artists giving us awful filler art because the main artist like Bagley and Gleason were usually moved onto draw the important stuff like sinister war and the big giant issues and issues 850/875. and the worst offender imo is that several issues during spencers run only had 19 pages of story. this is unacceptable to me as for the prices they charge i want my full 20 pages of story.

So in august I think they should return to the 90s and give us back the 4 different spider-man books.

1 issue a month of Amazing, Spectacular, Web Of and Sensastional each with their own unique creative teams.

That way you have four brand new number ones to throw at us for stupid money, a new peter book every week and us fans get to have an actual unrushed and unhindered story with great art and a full 20 pages.

Hell maybe even turn the sensational book into an ongoing series for Ben so that fans can continue to follow him as it is the book that launches his solo career in the 90s and we still get 3 peter books with unique stories. and bring back Scarlet Spider for Kaine.

any one have any better ideas because they are always going to produce at least 2/3 peter books a month and I'm sick of amazing having to suffer because of it.
    Last edited by DrewHLMW; 10-03-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

End it and reboot everything. I was never a reboot fan, but I think the books are at risk of collapsing under their own weight of 60 years of convoluted continuity. The recent Spencer run is evidence of this. Have Peter and MJ undo the Mephisto deal, have a child and go off into the sunset ready to embrace the next great adventure, finally ready to age along with its readership. No gratuitous deaths please.

Then they can wipe the slate clean and start all over. Kinda like what they did with ‘Ultimate’ in 2000, but I’m thinking more of a New 52 vibe where Peter is already established as Spider-Man and in his early 20s (so a bit younger than he is currently), but just doesn’t have all the baggage of six decades of convoluted, occasionally indecipherable and conflicting continuity weighing him down.

I realize that’s a controversial opinion, but I think we’ve reached that point.

Extraordinary Member

1)This "1 issue a month of Amazing, Spectacular, Web Of and Sensastional each with their own unique creative teams.

That way you have four brand new number ones to throw at us for stupid money, a new peter book every week and us fans get to have an actual unrushed and unhindered story with great art and a full 20 pages.

2)Good writers and artists.People like Chip Zdarsky for writers as examples.

3)Stop jamming other Spider-people into Peter books.Miles,Silk, etc. can have their own books but all these 3/4(I think 3 issues per month is fine as well, they can give something the 4th solo to someone else if they want) are Peter books where they should have cameo's or an team up arc MAX.If they want Peter they can do it in their own book since it will boost sales, don't drag him down.

NO MORE REPLACEMENTS, we got 2 in one decade.We're done.

All Spiders can team up when they need to do Spider-verse whatever.o .When they interact have Peter teach them, if he's involved he's the best one in terms of experience and leadership(also stated to be the best one multiple times).Spider-geddon was a mess and it was a Spider-man event w/out Spider-man, funny enough that peter's side fight w/ Morlun was amazing while the event was terrible.

No problem if you want to push Miles, but pushing down Peter to do so isn't a good strat.Why would fans support a character who is being used to push Peter down.Also maybe reduce the number of Spiders in a respectable way, like Grim hunt but more character focused.They are way too many and most get ignored.

It's important to remember it's Spider-man's 60th aniversary, as in Peter's.Not the Spiders, Miles's had his own as well.Focus should be on Peter and to get him back on track, and shoving Spiders into this is the opposite of that.

4)Mature Spider-man, we're done w/ BND stuff.He's one of the most experienced heroes, and one of the smartest.

5)Most importantly, the Spider-man we talk about in the future being the best hero needs to start.Make him a good presence in that aspect, and build towards that.Other people like Nadia Pym blatantly hating Peter and Spider-man for no reason makes no sense, most heroes (rightfully) respect him.Show that as much as you can, doesn't mean they can't joke about him but their's a way to do that.

6)In the next couple decades, marriage and mayday if possible.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-03-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

How would you plan Peter's 60 anniversary?
    I'd definitely make sure to remark he doesn't look like a day over thirty.

It makes sense not to have a new #1 for the 60th anniversary, and not to celebrate it with a milestone issue. This way Marvel can have a double-sized highly promoted issue, and later another double-sized highly promoted issue.

We currently know that December is scheduled to have Amazing Spider-Man #81-84, Issue 900 will correspond to the current volume of Amazing Spider-Man #99, and the Beyond run is meant to last approximately six months (October-March, give or take a few months.)

If I were in charge of Marvel, there would be a new creative team kicking off with something like Amazing Spider-Man #895. The first TPB takes them to Amazing Spider-Man #899.

The second storyline of the new creative team would kick off with Amazing Spider-Man #900. It could end with the 60th anniversary issue, or the 60th anniversary issue could kick off the third arc.

One structure would be...
    October- March) Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #75-93. The Beyond era.
    April-May) Amazing Spider-Man #94-98. The first TPB of the new creative team.
    June-July) Amazing Spider-Man #900-903. The second TPB of the new creative team.
    August) Amazing Spider-Man #904 (big 60th anniversary issue.) Kicks off the third TPB of the new creative team.

Another structure could be...
    June-August) Amazing Spider-Man #900-904 (big 60th anniversary issue.) The third story of the new creative team.

Beyond could also be extended a few months, or there might be a filler arc, so a new creative team starts with #900, although that seems a bit unearned.

The latter approach could also work with a monthly Amazing Spider-Man, but I think the lackluster sales of the satellite titles just shows it doesn't work to have secondary titles. There are ways it might work (good creative teams and a hook for each spinoff) but it may be too much effort, when higher output of Amazing Spider-Man gets you higher sales.

One potential idea would be to keep the Volume 5 numbering for a Ben Reilly series, so that there would be a Beyond spinoff focusing on him kicking off with a 100th issue from either Zeb Wells, or one of the other members of the new Braintrust.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 10-03-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

How about not promoting the 60th anniversary because 60 is generally speaking not a too impressive number.

Some milestones count more than others:
    25, 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 500, 1000.

60 doesn't make the cut and the bouncer of the Milestone Club like Bruce Campbell in SM-2 must say no.

After a certain point, interstitial milestones don't count. 25th Year Anniversary was a big deal but 125th Year not so much. 500 is a big deal but centenary anniversaries between 500 to 1000 don't have the same oomph to it at all.

On Spider-Man's mega-milestone anniversary years:
    -- 25th Anniversary: Peter Parker gets married to Mary Jane Watson in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21.
    -- 50th Anniversary: The first-ever crossover between Spider-Man and Miles Morales in Bendis' Spider-Men.

So what can the 60th Year Anniversary possibly hope to conjure to measure against those historic firsts?

Extraordinary Member

Pete gets his doctorate, Peter Parker (not Spider-Man) saves the city from some student's or professor's half-@$$ed invention on live TV to offset the plagiarism, job back as Daily Bugle Science editor, propose to MJ and she says 'yes'.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I'd definitely make sure to remark he doesn't look like a day over thirty.
    Oof, although he does/sould age slowly.That and the fact that age numbers don't really matter if they fix his attitude, Spencer's was fine for the most part we'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It makes sense not to have a new #1 for the 60th anniversary, and not to celebrate it with a milestone issue. This way Marvel can have a double-sized highly promoted issue, and later another double-sized highly promoted issue.

We currently know that December is scheduled to have Amazing Spider-Man #81-84, Issue 900 will correspond to the current volume of Amazing Spider-Man #99, and the Beyond run is meant to last approximately six months (October-March, give or take a few months.)

If I were in charge of Marvel, there would be a new creative team kicking off with something like Amazing Spider-Man #895. The first TPB takes them to Amazing Spider-Man #899.

The second storyline of the new creative team would kick off with Amazing Spider-Man #900. It could end with the 60th anniversary issue, or the 60th anniversary issue could kick off the third arc.

One structure would be...
    June-July) Amazing Spider-Man #900-903. The second TPB of the new creative team.
    August) Amazing Spider-Man #904 (big 60th anniversary issue.) Kicks off the third TPB of the new creative team.

Another structure could be...
    June-August) Amazing Spider-Man #900-904 (big 60th anniversary issue.) The third story of the new creative team.

Beyond could also be extended a few months, or there might be a filler arc, so a new creative team starts with #900, although that seems a bit unearned.

The latter approach could also work with a monthly Amazing Spider-Man, but I think the lackluster sales of the satellite titles just shows it doesn't work to have secondary titles. There are ways it might work (good creative teams and a hook for each spinoff) but it may be too much effort, when higher output of Amazing Spider-Man gets you higher sales.

One potential idea would be to keep the Volume 5 numbering for a Ben Reilly series, so that there would be a Beyond spinoff focusing on him kicking off with a 100th issue from either Zeb Wells, or one of the other members of the new Braintrust.
    The double issues remind me of Detective comics 1027... something marvel would do for sure.

I don't think beyond or Ben lasting beyond 60th makes sense, it is Peter's aniversary.They should clear ASM by that time, not to say they should be killed.hopefully we can get a new solo for Ben, maybe one w/ Kaine.Call it the Scarlet Spiders or something......

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    How about not promoting the 60th anniversary because 60 is generally speaking not a too impressive number.

Some milestones count more than others:
    25, 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 500, 1000.

60 doesn't make the cut and the bouncer of the Milestone Club like Bruce Campbell in SM-2 must say no.

After a certain point, interstitial milestones don't count. 25th Year Anniversary was a big deal but 125th Year not so much. 500 is a big deal but centenary anniversaries between 500 to 1000 don't have the same oomph to it at all.

On Spider-Man's mega-milestone anniversary years:
    -- 25th Anniversary: Peter Parker gets married to Mary Jane Watson in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21.
    -- 50th Anniversary: The first-ever crossover between Spider-Man and Miles Morales in Bendis' Spider-Men.

So what can the 60th Year Anniversary possibly hope to conjure to measure against those historic firsts?
    They did Peter-Miles for 50th?Spider-men was mediocre af IMO, that's a shame.
    Hopefully they do better in 60th, and it's not just someone meeting someone else.

I'd say a well written Peter's return would be greater than 50th w/ Miles.Honestly if they can give us a good solo after we'll be fine.

Let's get really crazy!

Let's find out the real reason Norman is so obsessed with Peter.

Years ago a young scientist named Richard Parker went to work for an up and coming business man named Norman Osborne. Richard worked many long hours and Mary got very lonely. She took comfort in the friendship of her husband's boss and friend Norman. This led to a romantic affair and Peter was the result of that affair. Richard Finds out and he leaves the company but stays with Mary though things are never the same with them.

Years later Norman finds out that Mary had his son and all the years he has battled Peter is to make him strong to be worthy of the Osborne name. Peter finds all of this out after Norman tells him. he thinks Norman is lying but finds a diary kept by his mother that Aunt May hid years ago.

Now Peter knows he has Osborne blood and he wonders how that will effect him. But unknow to Peter is that Norman has been using hypnotic suggestion to manipulate Peter into accepting his role. And Harry who is very jealous wants revenge on Peter and His father. he is the black sheep so he becomes The Black Goblin to kill them both.

I know crazy and people will hate it. But is it any more crazy then some of what has been done in the past?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    So we all know August 2022 will be the 60th anniversary of the debut of Peter Parker.

We know that Marvel are desperate to have as many issues of amazing spider-man out as possible to the fact that the series is basically going weekly for the rest of the year. only october 20th doesnt have a new issue of amazing spider-man.

Instead of a single writer with a plan, we have a hive mind of writers which did not work last time they tried that, there is too many artists giving us awful filler art because the main artist like Bagley and Gleason were usually moved onto draw the important stuff like sinister war and the big giant issues and issues 850/875. and the worst offender imo is that several issues during spencers run only had 19 pages of story. this is unacceptable to me as for the prices they charge i want my full 20 pages of story.

So in august I think they should return to the 90s and give us back the 4 different spider-man books.

1 issue a month of Amazing, Spectacular, Web Of and Sensastional each with their own unique creative teams.

Hell maybe even turn the sensational book into an ongoing series for Ben so that fans can continue to follow him as it is the book that launches his solo career in the 90s and we still get 3 peter books with unique stories. and bring back Scarlet Spider for Kaine.

any one have any better ideas because they are always going to produce at least 2/3 peter books a month and I'm sick of amazing having to suffer because of it.
    What about a one issue story featuring Jessica Carradine ( Burglar’s daughter), Peter and Aunt May?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Let's get really crazy!

Let's find out the real reason Norman is so obsessed with Peter.

Years ago a young scientist named Richard Parker went to work for an up and coming business man named Norman Osborne. Richard worked many long hours and Mary got very lonely. She took comfort in the friendship of her husband's boss and friend Norman. This led to a romantic affair and Peter was the result of that affair. Richard Finds out and he leaves the company but stays with Mary though things are never the same with them.

Years later Norman finds out that Mary had his son and all the years he has battled Peter is to make him strong to be worthy of the Osborne name. Peter finds all of this out after Norman tells him. he thinks Norman is lying but finds a diary kept by his mother that Aunt May hid years ago.

Now Peter knows he has Osborne blood and he wonders how that will effect him. But unknow to Peter is that Norman has been using hypnotic suggestion to manipulate Peter into accepting his role. And Harry who is very jealous wants revenge on Peter and His father. he is the black sheep so he becomes The Black Goblin to kill them both.

I know crazy and people will hate it. But is it any more crazy then some of what has been done in the past?
    Yes, it is.
    If you want to see how people like stuff like this just see how people reacted to trouble(it's not canon IIRC).People even hated parents being spies, I doubt they would like this.

And we know why he's obsessed, he sees Peter as his worthy heir to the goblin throne.The dynamic is Norman doesn't think Harry is worth it and sees him as weak, and Peter who is his friends son's bestie he sees as fit to be heir.

And Harry is dead, both versions now.

Everything above is if you're being serious, sounds like a good fanfic Idea though and I lol'ed reading it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    What about a one issue story featuring Jessica Carradine ( Burglar’s daughter), Peter and Aunt May?
    Sounds like a good idea, has Peter ever met Jessica Carradine?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post

I've been thinking about how to use the 60th anniversary and issue 900 to launch new titles.

It probably makes more sense to have a weekly Amazing Spider-Man (with occasional intermissions and a maximum of three writers) because it's difficult to convey that new titles matter. Historically, Spectacular and Web have had low sales, so I may go with different series.

If the decision is to have multiple monthly titles, here's how I'd do it...

Amazing Spider-Man: The standard book. In this case, there may be some limitations based on what's going on in the other books. There would be less team-ups than usual because we also have...

Marvel Team-Up: A team-up title. I liked the old Ultimate Marvel Team Up of different artists for each story, so that's a possible way to do it. It's important that stories aren't limited to single issue length, but that they're still self-contained. A mistake with Robert Kirkman and Scott Kolins' run years back was that issues would carry over so a Spider-Man/ X-23 team-up would feature Iron Man and the Hulk from the previous issue. It would also be important that this is a Spider-Man series. It would likely correspond to what's going on with MCU releases. If Guardians of the Galaxy 3 comes out May 2023, there would probably be a Spider-Man/ Guardians team-up at the same time.

Spider-Man: Adjectiveless Spider-Man seems to be the one book without sales baggage in that it typically sold well and didn't seem second-tier. The basic hook is that this a series based on contemporary issues, as Peter's professional interests in journalism and scientific research would allow him to encounter people affected by news events. It's something that can get attention and generate stories, but doing it in a satellite book means you avoid affecting the Amazing Spider-Man brand, and the awkwardness when five-year old ASM issues are suddenly anachronistic.

Legendary Spider-Man: The hook for this series is that writers and/ or artists who have previously worked on Spider-Man return for an approximately twelve issue run. It would probably be important to have two writers on-board initially, so it doesn't just become a vehicle for one creative team, so that Peter David fans wouldn't expect him to stick around for a second year, because Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is taking over with Issue 13.

One cheat might be to use the milestone and anniversary issues to promote the other books. For example, the writer of Marvel Team-Up might get the main story in Amazing Spider-Man #900 to make it obvious that the Marvel Team-Up run will be a big deal. There will also be back-up stories to set up the other satellite books, as well as the Miles Morales spinoff, and potentially a Ben Reilly spinoff.

Potential creative teams.
    Amazing Spider-Man: Chip Zdarsky, Stephen Segovia & Nicola Scott (makes sense to have two artists)
    Spider-Man: Ta-Nehisi Coates, Daniel Acuna & Sara Pichelli (makes sense to have two artists)
    Legendary Spider-Man: Peter David & Giuseppe Camuncoli
    Marvel Team-Up: Jason Aaron & assorted.

If the Beyond era ends with #98 of Volume 5 in March or April, Jason Aaron might write the main story of Amazing Spider-Man #900. He'll be on that book for a few more issues, seeding the upcoming Marvel Team-Up run. Back-up stories would set up events in the other titles.

In August, there could be a 60th anniversary issue of Amazing Spider-Man with the kickoff of the new creative team, as well as the #1s for the other series.

One potential change would be to switch one of the satellite books with making Amazing Spider-Man twice-monthly.

I've been ignoring the question of what story Marvel should tell, because that should be up to the writers. The important thing is that it's something meaningful, that says things about the character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I've been thinking about how to use the 60th anniversary and issue 900 to launch new titles.

It probably makes more sense to have a weekly Amazing Spider-Man (with occasional intermissions and a maximum of three writers) because it's difficult to convey that new titles matter. Historically, Spectacular and Web have had low sales, so I may go with different series.

If the decision is to have multiple monthly titles, here's how I'd do it...

Amazing Spider-Man: The standard book. In this case, there may be some limitations based on what's going on in the other books. There would be less team-ups than usual because we also have...

Marvel Team-Up: A team-up title. I liked the old Ultimate Marvel Team Up of different artists for each story, so that's a possible way to do it. It's important that stories aren't limited to single issue length, but that they're still self-contained. A mistake with Robert Kirkman and Scott Kolins' run years back was that issues would carry over so a Spider-Man/ X-23 team-up would feature Iron Man and the Hulk from the previous issue. It would also be important that this is a Spider-Man series. It would likely correspond to what's going on with MCU releases. If Guardians of the Galaxy 3 comes out May 2023, there would probably be a Spider-Man/ Guardians team-up at the same time.

Spider-Man: Adjectiveless Spider-Man seems to be the one book without sales baggage in that it typically sold well and didn't seem second-tier. The basic hook is that this a series based on contemporary issues, as Peter's professional interests in journalism and scientific research would allow him to encounter people affected by news events. It's something that can get attention and generate stories, but doing it in a satellite book means you avoid affecting the Amazing Spider-Man brand, and the awkwardness when five-year old ASM issues are suddenly anachronistic.

Legendary Spider-Man: The hook for this series is that writers and/ or artists who have previously worked on Spider-Man return for an approximately twelve issue run. It would probably be important to have two writers on-board initially, so it doesn't just become a vehicle for one creative team, so that Peter David fans wouldn't expect him to stick around for a second year, because Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is taking over with Issue 13.

One cheat might be to use the milestone and anniversary issues to promote the other books. For example, the writer of Marvel Team-Up might get the main story in Amazing Spider-Man #900 to make it obvious that the Marvel Team-Up run will be a big deal. There will also be back-up stories to set up the other satellite books, as well as the Miles Morales spinoff, and potentially a Ben Reilly spinoff.

Potential creative teams.
    Amazing Spider-Man: Chip Zdarsky, Stephen Segovia & Nicola Scott (makes sense to have two artists)
    Spider-Man: Ta-Nehisi Coates, Daniel Acuna & Sara Pichelli (makes sense to have two artists)
    Legendary Spider-Man: Peter David & Giuseppe Camuncoli
    Marvel Team-Up: Jason Aaron & assorted.

If the Beyond era ends with #98 of Volume 5 in March or April, Jason Aaron might write the main story of Amazing Spider-Man #900. He'll be on that book for a few more issues, seeding the upcoming Marvel Team-Up run. Back-up stories would set up events in the other titles.

In August, there could be a 60th anniversary issue of Amazing Spider-Man with the kickoff of the new creative team, as well as the #1s for the other series.

One potential change would be to switch one of the satellite books with making Amazing Spider-Man twice-monthly.

I've been ignoring the question of what story Marvel should tell, because that should be up to the writers. The important thing is that it's something meaningful, that says things about the character.
    Great stuff, really thought it through.

I'd take away Coates(his BP was boring IMO) and Aaron(just not a good writer now) and add in DeMatties for the Legendary thing, also Spencer since he got the characters.Maybe Stuart Immonen and Pere Perez for art on the books would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Yes, it is.
    If you want to see how people like stuff like this just see how people reacted to trouble(it's not canon IIRC).People even hated parents being spies, I doubt they would like this.

And we know why he's obsessed, he sees Peter as his worthy heir to the goblin throne.The dynamic is Norman doesn't think Harry is worth it and sees him as weak, and Peter who is his friends son's bestie he sees as fit to be heir.

And Harry is dead, both versions now.

Everything above is if you're being serious, sounds like a good fanfic Idea though and I lol'ed reading it.
    See we can get even more crazy with tying this plot in. Richard is so upset at the affair that he becomes a spy for Red Skull because the Skull promises Richard revenge on Osborne. Mary becomes a spy to get close to her husband and talk sense into him. But sadly they are both Killed by Red Skull and the official story is that they were traitors just like Peter reads in that annual. But Nick Fury years later when he finds out the Peter is Spiderman plants the evidence that Richard was also working for the government like Mary so that Peter can get angry at the Skull killing his innocent parents so that Peter will go after the Skull himself in revenge. Sadly this does not work like Nick Fury intended.

Give me enough time and I will try and work Crusher Hogan being involved in the Clone Saga
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.