View Poll Results: Whoch Batman Supporting Character Had The Best 90's Series?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anarky

0 0%
  • Azrael

0 0%
  • Birds of Prey

4 14.29%
  • Catwoman

2 7.14%
  • Nightwing

9 32.14%
  • Robin

13 46.43%
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Which Batfamily Supporting Character Had The Best 90s Series?

Birds of Prey had 12 issues in the 90s. Anarky only lasted 8 issues but was intended to be an ongoing.

Ultimate Member

Where's Cass' series?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Where's Cass' series?
    Her solo only started in 2000.

On topic, Robin in the 90s was Dixon's best work by far.

And point of reference: Brubaker's Catwoman series didn't start until 2002.
    Her series in the 1990s was perhaps better known for Jim Balent's artwork.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Maybe this Thread should have been asking the same question of the period where there were actually enough bat series for this to be a competition. It's between Robin a title that DC put a **** ton of effort and resources behind, night wing and two short lived titles. [Comparing an 8 part series to a 100+ hardly seems fair]

I want to know about the 2000's. Now that would be interesting The various batgirl series, red hood, Son of Batman, Grayson, RR, Batman Beyond. Are RSOB and Grayson part of the 2000's?

Definitely Nightwing (the Dixon/McDaniel team will always be unbeatable):

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Due to personal bias, I voted Birds of Prey, because I'm including all of the 1996-1999 one shots and minis, of which there wasn't a single dud. The ongoing started in January '99, so we had an additional 12 excellent issues to cap the decade.

Robin would be a very close second. With the exception of a few months between the three original mini series, there was a book featuring his name on stands for pretty much every month from January 1991 - December 1999.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Maybe this Thread should have been asking the same question of the period where there were actually enough bat series for this to be a competition. It's between Robin a title that DC put a **** ton of effort and resources behind, night wing and two short lived titles. [Comparing an 8 part series to a 100+ hardly seems fair]

I want to know about the 2000's. Now that would be interesting The various batgirl series, red hood, Son of Batman, Grayson, RR, Batman Beyond. Are RSOB and Grayson part of the 2000's?
    Some of those are 2010's

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    . . . I want to know about the 2000's. Now that would be interesting The various batgirl series, red hood, Son of Batman, Grayson, RR, Batman Beyond. Are RSOB and Grayson part of the 2000's?
    It would probably be best to handle those by breaking them down to a "pre-Flashpoint" group and a "New52-and beyond" group (but maybe leave out things like the Convergence specials).

All the Dixon books were gold, but Robin felt like it had slightly more freedom to evolve the character, which gives it a slight edge.

Robin was great. Probably because Dixon stayed on so long. The Nightwing McDaniel/Dixon run while only 30 some issues (long by today's standards) was the best. While robin had some miss writers, none of them were as bad as Jones or Grayson's Nightwing work.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Tough one. Nightwing and Robin were both good. But I had to go with Nightwing. I just remember being more invested in that book. I was invested in Robin too. But, forced to make a choice, it’s Nightwing.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It is really a 3 way race with 1&2 being neck-to-neck photo finish for me.

1. Robin
    2. Nightwing
    3. Catwoman
    4. Azrael (and I'm a huge JPV fan)

Truth is Robin and Nightwing were given top talent writers/artists with a period in their character evolution that the 90s were able to really capitalize upon. Tim is the new Robin, fully cemented in the role after a few years of proving himself in some mini series. Dick really pushed out of the Titans and did a third evolution of his suit that nearly 30yrs later is still the definitive Nightwing look. Red or Blue variety.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime