Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should be done with Bart Allen?

The Young Justice generation was mostly hurt by the New 52, with it erasing all the transformations they went through. For the first time it seems like they might be evolving again, and while I have clear ideas of what to do with Kon-El and Tim Drake and Cassie Sandsmark, I don't see a clear path forward for Bart.

Him having his own unique identity as Impulse is absolutely great, but there are already so many speedster and it seems like Bart has to grow up at somepoint and find his own unique job as a superhero rather than get lost in the clutter of the flash family.

How would you progress Bart Allen as he reaches adulthood? Should Max Mercury be a part of Bart's new role in the DC universe? Should Bart become the hyperactive speedster monk?

Incredible Member

I honestly wish he was developed a little more as Flash before he got killed off and made into Kid Flash. It felt like out of all the legacy heroes, Bart is one who is visibly apparent of going backwards as opposed to moving forward and growing (being Flash with the shortest tenure of thirteen issues, then killed and becoming Kid Flash because "being an adult was killing him" and now he's Impulse again).

It's definitely apparent that they didn't know what to do with him so it's an interesting question of what to do with him now.

Honestly what I would do with him is apparently dependent on which era of Bart, honestly I wouldn't have killed him off just to revive him again. I think I would have used the status quo of him trying to be a forensic scientist in Los Angeles, while trying to join the Justice League, develop how he is trying to escape from people just see him as Impulse or a copy of Wally or Barry and being an adult (kind of like a reverse Steve Rogers). Definitely playing on his relationships with the Titans ( I loved his interactions with Cyborg and Tim in Fastest Man Alive, I definitely would enjoy more of it), coping with having the entire Speed Force in his body and what kind of ramifications it might have on his body, and his relationships with Jay, Valerie Perez, and Iris. Maybe even with the Meltzer era League not knowing what to do with him as he tries to make his own legacy. Like a mix of Bart in Smallville (the super speedster courier of the League always on the move) with Barry from the CW show/Snyder cut and Buccerlatto/Manapul's New 52 run would be perfect for the OYL Bart. He's more serious but keeps elements of the Impulse/Kid Flash personality while trying to form a new life for himself.

I feel like as of right now being the speedster monk would be a great. Maybe even bring back Bar Tor of the New 52 as Bart makes fun of him trying to steal his identity to hide from the law. I think Bart could work also as someone who can travel through the Multiverse or time travel and seeing these different speedsters and what define them while he helps them out on adventures, which allows him grow as a more self assured hero in his own right while still keeping what makes him such a likable character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The Young Justice generation was mostly hurt by the New 52, with it erasing all the transformations they went through. For the first time it seems like they might be evolving again, and while I have clear ideas of what to do with Kon-El and Tim Drake and Cassie Sandsmark, I don't see a clear path forward for Bart.

Him having his own unique identity as Impulse is absolutely great, but there are already so many speedster and it seems like Bart has to grow up at somepoint and find his own unique job as a superhero rather than get lost in the clutter of the flash family.

How would you progress Bart Allen as he reaches adulthood? Should Max Mercury be a part of Bart's new role in the DC universe? Should Bart become the hyperactive speedster monk?
    Impulse isn't a unique identity, and hasn't been since Irey West returned in Flash Forward (when Irey first became Impulse, Bart was Kid Flash, by the time Bart returned in Rebirth there was a new one, Wallace, so he reverted to Impulse, only for Irey to come back). The mantle is shared now. So maybe Bart should partner up with the twins? Maybe Wally and Linda want to go out on a date, so they ask Bart to babysit. He'll bond with Jai over a shared love of video games, and with Irey over their powers and identity. Hijinks ensue, but Bart enjoys it and volunteers to make it a regular thing. Seems like a workable set up for a new Impulse book, or backup feature in The Flash. Him taking responsibility like that would show that he's growing up himself too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Bart should be Wally's partner now that Wally is the primary Flash again, point blank period. Wally's never going to be comfortable with the idea of putting his own kids on the field, let's be honest, after having to go through them... well... not existing, so they should use Bart for that. Bart as a character is stunningly consistent through all of his interpretations other than the New 52 one which was specified not to be the same Bart by the time Bart came back in the Rebirth era, and I think that's a good thing. As much as I do like the idea of Wally's kids doing their own thing against his wishes, Irey should develop a different codename (if Jai is going to be the Turtle, Iris could be the Hare). He could be used in a similar way as Booster Gold, going throughout the timestream and making sure that things continue to happen the way that they should in a mini or back-up.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

He reminds me of the 11th doctor from Doctor Who. So he'd be an adult adventurer jumping around time, space and other dimensions. Unless his friends need him which he'll come running .

Make him a metaphor for adults struggling with ADHD. Just keep him as Impulse and play up the immaturity.

He becomes the friend everyone likes but no one is really sure what's going on with him. So they just let him do his own thing and hope he'll figure it out.

You could always have Impulse go back to the future and play that angle.

Turn him into Reverse Flash...

Incredible Member

I’m sure they’ll find someway to inject him in the Flash books since he’ll be in the CW series now

Bart should be Impulse. And be a funny, light character. We have more than enough Kid Flashes and angsty speedsters. Bart should stay the way he was created and be in books like Young Justice and maybe an Impulse relaunch. Iris (not Irey ) should NOT be Impulse. Give her back her costume from the Wild Wests ARC and give her an original superhero name. We don't need any more Kid Flashes. Besides she was barely Impulse and never did anything with it. It was stupid.

Astonishing Member

The problem with the Wild Wests costume is they suck. It's a bit of a weird walkback and Wallace interjecting into the family really messes up both Bart and Iris. Took Kid Flash away from Bart and stepped into the generation Iris would've been in.
    Last edited by Dred; 05-13-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    You could always have Impulse go back to the future and play that angle.
    I like this idea too. What is Central City like in the 31st century ��?

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The problem with the Wild Wests costume is they suck. It's a bit of a weird walkback and Wallace interjecting into the family really messes up both Bart and Iris. Took Kid Flash away from Bart and stepped into the generation Iris would've been in.
    Bart becoming Kid Flash was actually a step back for the character. He went from having a unique identity to getting a codename that only works while he is a kid. Whereas Impulse is a name he can use forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I honestly wish he was developed a little more as Flash before he got killed off and made into Kid Flash.
    I much prefer him as Impulse, so I'm glad that didn't happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Bart becoming Kid Flash was actually a step back for the character. He went from having a unique identity to getting a codename that only works while he is a kid. Whereas Impulse is a name he can use forever.
    Sure but there was a sensible status quo there for a hot second. Now that very much doesn't work because of Wallace. So Bart has to retake his old Impulse identity back and there's this awkward situation with Iris just being Iris or having two Impulses around, something that was not a problem before. Despite both of them predating Wallace they both have to adjust to suit his much more significant exposure in the comics.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

While I loved the idea of having Bart a member of Young Justice, Bendis killed it by having him do nothing over the course of 12 issues (where I gave up).
    The idea though still has merit. He should be running around with Conner, Cassie, Tim & Co.
    Bring him into the Flash title for the BIG stories, but otherwise let him loose within the DCU!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.