Extraordinary Member

Default Favorite original show characters showing up on a spin-off series

I know that's a mouthful of a title, but I'll try to explain...

A very popular show spins a character off to their own series (example: Rhoda spun off from Mary Tyler Moore).

Then characters from the original show guest star on the spin-off series. Who did it best or was your favorite?

When Woody Harrelson guested on Frasier. I think it showed how Woody had matured.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    When Woody Harrelson guested on Frasier. I think it showed how Woody had matured.
    Agree. I also loved Diane's return to Frasier. Apparently, Kelsey Grammer was under the impression that Shelley Long did not like him (or Frasier) being on Cheers. It was a nice send-off for the two characters' relationship both on and off the show.

Jr's Appearances on Knots Landing were fun.

While technically "Thomas" Riker Jonathan Frakes showing up on DS9 was a good episode.

Also, it was the spinoff character returning to the original show, but Edith and Louise's reunion when the Jefferson's asked the Bunkers to find new renters for their old house once Mike and Gloria left was sweet.

B5's Dr. Franklin showing up on Crusade was good.

Both 10 and 11's appearances on the Sarah Jane Adventures were highlights.

Scotty on TNG in Relics was one of my favorite episodes and the McCoy scene in Encounter at Farpoint was a gem.

Spike on Angel was always fun.

Connor's appearance in the pilot of Highlander was good.

Arrowverse crossovers.

Honestly, those were some of the best of the entire Arrowverse. Somehow. From minor ones, to where Barry trained with Ollie, all the times. Just the whole character dynamics that popped up improved nearly everything.

There were a bunch of good ones where an original cast member from "Buffy" popped into "Angel." Faith jumping from the two-part body-swapping story in "Buffy" to a two-parter in "Angel" was an amazing set of episodes for the character. And Willow showing up in "Angel" to give him back his soul again was another great one.

The TOS characters appearing on TNG all had pretty solid appearances on the show, although Kirk in GENERATIONS was the weakest one.

Ditto with the TOS Klingon villains in the Deep Space Nine episode, although Kor did a few other episodes as well.

Not sure if it qualifies as a spin-off (as it's more a sequel as well) but Amuro, Char and co. in Zeta Gundam, although Char,Bright, and Katz were pretty much still main characters; Amuro, Hayato and Kai did have fairly sizable supporting roles although Mirai, Frau,the other orphans and Sayla were pretty much just cameos (Funny thing is Sayla gets a much more substantial cameo in ZZ).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I thought Jay Sherman from the cartoon The Critic did a great job on The Simpsons.

Scotty on TNG was pure gold. I dont really get the hype for McCoy in Farpoint since he was on screen for like two minutes and said 5 lines. Was it cool to see? Yea a bit but was it amazing? No.

The Duras Sisters on DS9. And Bishir on TNG episode.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    And Bishir on TNG episode.
    Well that's a fun reverse situation where someone from the spin-off pops into the original show, which I imagine is rarer since it would mean the spin-off and original running at the same time.(especially a character who wasn't on the original like O'Brian) Even Buffy and Angel, when they were on at the same time never had anyone aside from Angel go from Angel back into Buffy. (iirc) Them being on different networks becoming the main reason later on.

Extraordinary Member

Mary, Lou, Murray, Georgette, and Phyllis were so much fun showing up for Rhoda's wedding on Rhoda. Cloris Leachman (Phyllis) in particular was hysterical.

Tony Alameida on 24: Legacy
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Teal'c on Stargate Atlantis when he and Ronan are fighting Wraith on the Midway space station! Awesome episode
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Well that's a fun reverse situation where someone from the spin-off pops into the original show, which I imagine is rarer since it would mean the spin-off and original running at the same time.(especially a character who wasn't on the original like O'Brian) Even Buffy and Angel, when they were on at the same time never had anyone aside from Angel go from Angel back into Buffy. (iirc) Them being on different networks becoming the main reason later on.
    The reverse situation where the EMH showed up in Star Trek First Contact was pretty fun too.

The Doctor (Tenth and Eleventh) appeared in two "Sarah Jane Adventures" stories which were among the best of that series.

Nicholas Courtney also appeared as the Brigadier in some other SJAs but unfortunately Nick's declining health was a factor; and it would've been better to have him on DW first.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth