Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I've been trying to figure out where I 've seen this actor before, and then it hit me. He was Dry Eye in The Gentlemen, and he was excellent in that movie. So I'm looking forward to seeing him in this.
    He was great in Crazy Rich Asaind and Last Christamas aswell. I'm sure he's done more but that's what I know him from.

The actor playing Tommy is great on Warrior and I thought he was the one playing Subzero. Hope they bring him in as the little brother if MK gets a sequel. But yea when Subzero was cast the headline was the star of Warrior cast as Subzero. So I assume that meant the lead, clearly not. That other actor is great too and was one of the bright parts of the MK so I'm not complaining.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    He was great in Crazy Rich Asaind and Last Christamas aswell. I'm sure he's done more but that's what I know him from.

The actor playing Tommy is great on Warrior and I thought he was the one playing Subzero. Hope they bring him in as the little brother if MK gets a sequel. But yea when Subzero was cast the headline was the star of Warrior cast as Subzero. So I assume that meant the lead, clearly not. That other actor is great too and was one of the bright parts of the MK so I'm not complaining.
    I know Golding from A Simple Favor (with Blake Lively). Liked him there.

Extraordinary Member

Snake Eyes Reviews Are In And They're Not Great

SNAKE EYES: G.I. JOE ORIGINS
    TOMATOMETER 44%
    AUDIENCE SCORE 76%
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sna...gi_joe_origins

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Snake Eyes Reviews Are In And They're Not Great

SNAKE EYES: G.I. JOE ORIGINS
    TOMATOMETER 44%
    AUDIENCE SCORE 76%
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sna...gi_joe_origins
    Been glancing at the reviews for the film. I'm getting a lot of mixed signals. Yeah, some say this is the worst thing movie ever and has destroyed their childhood. Others are saying that it's a decent story that somewhat misses the mark. IGN gave it a 7/10. (But don't they give everything a 7/10?) Some say Henry Golding is the strongest/weakest part of the film. Others are saying it's Andrew Koji. Or the Baroness. The action is there, but it's shaky cam and not understandable. Or perhaps it's the best.

Me, I'm steering clear of all of these reviews. I had an inkling that the film would get this notoriety. The YouTube clips and social media presence didn't have many views or likes. But I'll reserve judgment for myself. As a huge fan of a lot of the actors in this movie and of Snake Eyes, I'm willing to give it a shot. If it sucks, I'll be the first one to admit that. But if there are good points, I'll be the first one to tell you too.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I just returned from seeing it a few hours ago, and while it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, it's a pretty solid movie with some nice visuals and fight scenes that does a decent job of rebooting the G.I. Joe movie franchise, IMO. If you prefer your Snake Eyes to be the silent mysterious type, you're going to be disappointed as this is before he probably becomes that. Henry Golding was likeable, but I think Ursula Corbero (Baroness) and Samara Weaving (Scarlett) were kind of scene stealers. I would call Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins more of a modern day martial arts movie than a G.I. Joe vs. Cobra story, but there is also a lot of stuff being blown up too and quite a bit of foreshadowing of things to come.

I'd give it 7/10 or 3 out of 5 stars.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I'd give it 7/10 or 3 out of 5 stars.
    Yep - I'm going to be that guy...

3 out of 5 = 6/10. So.... you either give it a 6/10 or 3.5 stars out of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yep - I'm going to be that guy...

3 out of 5 = 6/10. So.... you either give it a 6/10 or 3.5 stars out of 5.
    Don't be that guy. Doesn't do you any good.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Don't be that guy. Doesn't do you any good.
    Yeah ... and 2+2 = 5. Why bother?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-23-2021 at 07:10 PM.

The 5 Star rating is seen very differently than the out of 10. They aren't numerically equivalent. So for comparable takes, 7/10 is the same as 3 of 5 stars.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The 5 Star rating is seen very differently than the out of 10. They aren't numerically equivalent. So for comparable takes, 7/10 is the same as 3 of 5 stars.
    People use half-stars all the time, though. So 7/10 is 3-and-a-half stars out of 5 - it's not "very" different. I mean... is it that difficult to use super simple math correctly? (that's rhetorical - I know the answer and it's not worth getting into a discussion about)

Hey all. Just finished watching the movie a couple of hours ago. I see why it got a 7/10 on IGN. Overall , the movie is very functional. Now it definitely didn’t wasn’t in the “this was the worst movie ever and it ruined my childhood” or “WTF is going on, this story makes no sense” territory. The story is good, the action is alright, and there was good acting. However, all of these elements hovered around being great. Just a little more here and there would have made the movie better. There was one plot point towards the end that irked me. I certainly feel it wasn’t properly addressed in the film. Furthermore, I feel one character really stood out while another had good moments.

Anyway here are my thoughts. Spoilers below:

spoilers:

- I liked the idea that Snake Eyes had ulterior motives when joining the Arashikage. He wasn’t presented as being this honorable character. Rather, he was consumed with vengeance for his father’s death. His joining of the clan was to serve the purpose of avenging that death. So he lied to get into good graces with Tommy. (I’m glad that they called out the “I saw honor in your eyes” line. That’s the film acknowledging it doesn’t want to get into a typical martial arts honor trope). I like that idea, that the film isn’t about Snake Eyes’ honor, but rather letting go of his guilt and anger.

- Of course, the person who gets the short end of Snake Eyes’ mistakes and faults is Storm Shadow. Here was someone who’s trust in another and who’s belief in a better future for the clan cost him. Honestly, Storm Shadow was the victim in this movie. I was confused and a little miffed that he got punished while Snake Eyes, who lied and betrayed those who trusted him, received no repercussions. Seriously, Snake Eyes gives the bad guy the magic crystal and he’s still part of the clan at the end? What?!

- There’s a lot of talk about who had the strongest performance in the movie. For me, it was Andrew Koji. He played that role well. I could feel his trust, betrayal, and anger. It’s an intensity he shows in Warrior, so check that out. But yeah Koji had the best performance. The person who had only great moments was Henry. For a lot of the movie, I couldn’t see Henry be Snake Eyes. I saw him trying to be Snake Eyes, but there were a couple of times in the film when he WAS Snake Eyes. When there were discussions about his father, his need for a family, his meeting his father’s killer, then I could see Snake Eyes. The rest of the time though, I wasn’t feeling it from him. Maybe it was because he’s supposed to be American but has this half British accent. I see potential there though. That’s what I latched on to.

- More could have been done with the other characters, I agree with that. The scene featuring Scarlett, Baroness, and the head of the Arashikage could have been given more weight, yes. But the scenes we did get with the characters, I appreciated. They still made an impression.

- The action was good, but could have been better. Was there shaky cam? Yes. The tight shots didn’t make things easier to discern either. BUT, I could still see enough. The scene where Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are dispatching the bad guys in the Arashikage compound, I could see those sword movements. It certainly wasn’t WTF.
    end of spoilers

So those are my thoughts. I was entertained. The story was functional and the acting was okay. Things could have been better. But yeah, this is certainly not the “worst movie ever made.” Will there be a sequel? I’m leaning towards no. But I’m still appreciative of the effort from everyone involved. Indeed, having Henry Golding give that little intro in the beginning was very classy. And worthwhile.
    "I am a man of peace."

Not a preexisting GI Joe fan and had never seen any of the other movies, but I thought it was okay. Story was a little thin, but the actors did a decent job getting you invested in the characters. The main villain was a boring disappointment, considering all the potential he with his backstory (Baroness, as minor a character as she was, was the most interesting bad guy in the film), but everyone else worked. Would be up for a sequel/expansion.

Was I the only one wondering if spoilers:
    there had been plans to set up a romantic dynamic between Snake Eyes and Akiko, since a lot of the beats seemed like they were classic blockbuster love story fodder? Case in point, we see them bantering during that practice duel. They have the emotional bit the evening before the final test. Despite it being repeatedly said that the final test is either pass or die, Akiko stops the anacondas from killing Snake Eyes and gets him out of there. After he's expelled in the aftermath, she's the one who unsuccessfully tries to talk to him before leaving. It's her, not Storm Shadow, that catches him in the act of stealing the not-infinity stone, putting her in the position of being the person who discover firsthand that he was playing them. Finally, when they first see that he's fighting their enemies and getting overwhelmed, Akiko, not Storm Shadow, is the one to decide that they can't just let him die like that.

Granted, nothing came of these beats, obviously, and I've seen nothing online with the actors or filmmakers confirming what kind of relationship those characters were supposed to have and so far as the hypothetical sequel goes, the only character dynamics they've mentioned wanting to explore are Snake Eyes and Scarlett (no clue whether they're thinking love story or otherwise with that). I liked the dynamic either way, but have been wondering if I'm just seeing things or if there was something there.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    spoilers:
    Of course, the person who gets the short end of Snake Eyes’ mistakes and faults is Storm Shadow. Here was someone who’s trust in another and who’s belief in a better future for the clan cost him. Honestly, Storm Shadow was the victim in this movie. I was confused and a little miffed that he got punished while Snake Eyes, who lied and betrayed those who trusted him, received no repercussions. Seriously, Snake Eyes gives the bad guy the magic crystal and he’s still part of the clan at the end? What?!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I actually kinda liked that Storm Shadow had a legitimate grievance with Snake Eyes in the end. I will concede that I wished that the pride that lead to him being unable to accept the judgement and turning his back on his family had been better foreshadowed, but I liked that you can sympathize with his position, even if you can see how he's taking his first steps to the dark side. (Frankly, I was most surprised that he'd join Cobra after they had been one of the factions involved with the attack that lead to him being deposed, but I guess seeing as he seemed to covet leadership to some extent, the carrot might've been too much to resist.)

So far as Snake Eyes went, I didn't think he was accepted into the clan (he outright failed the final test and I took his second round "passing" was more of a personal victory of having defeated the demons that had been ruling his life and leading him to do terrible things). I took it that he was essentially granted clemency for his role in the stone getting stolen, given that he chose to help them defend the compound and get it back in the end. That might not be "fair," but it seemed like, in the end, he had learned from his sins and was willing to make them right, unlike how Storm Shadow seemed unable to accept his own "sin," much less repent from it and undertake penance to right things. I mean, Storm Shadow leaves the movie deciding that he was "robbed" and is willing to make a deal with the devil to obtain a fraction of what he thinks he was entitled, while Snake Eyes leaves to finish making right the wrongs he helped create before moving on with his life. It might not seem completely "just," but there is always an element of "injustice" in showing mercy. Milage may vary.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    spoilers:
    There’s a lot of talk about who had the strongest performance in the movie. For me, it was Andrew Koji. He played that role well. I could feel his trust, betrayal, and anger. It’s an intensity he shows in Warrior, so check that out. But yeah Koji had the best performance. The person who had only great moments was Henry. For a lot of the movie, I couldn’t see Henry be Snake Eyes. I saw him trying to be Snake Eyes, but there were a couple of times in the film when he WAS Snake Eyes. When there were discussions about his father, his need for a family, his meeting his father’s killer, then I could see Snake Eyes. The rest of the time though, I wasn’t feeling it from him. Maybe it was because he’s supposed to be American but has this half British accent. I see potential there though. That’s what I latched on to.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Would agree that Koji did a lot with his character. I kinda found him a little bit flat in the writing with the other characters. His connecting with Snake Eyes was kinda linear; since he seems to instantly accept him as a trusted friend right away and that doesn't change until the deception is revealed and he the light switch flips to mortal enemy. On paper, I actually found Snake Eyes and Akiko to be a more interesting dynamic, since she's skeptical at first and we see Snake Eyes having to earn her trust and her more complicated feelings about it once she learns that he was a spy from the beginning. That said, Koji and Henry Golding did really sell everything with the performances, even if the writing was a little lacking.

Kinda found the supporting characters -- Baroness, the blind ninja master, and Scarlett, for example -- to be the most compelling performances. They are not given a lot of depth in the writing, but the actors really give them a lot of personality and it feels like they have years of history informing their scenes. Recall that the behind the scenes assumption was that Baroness and Scarlett had been friends before becoming enemies, and that certainly comes across whenever they're in the same room. If there is a sequel, I'd really like to see them back alongside the central characters.
    end of spoilers
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    spoilers:
    ...so far as the hypothetical sequel goes, the only character dynamics they've mentioned wanting to explore are Snake Eyes and Scarlett (no clue whether they're thinking love story or otherwise with that). I liked the dynamic either way, but have been wondering if I'm just seeing things or if there was something there.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

In the comics, it's been long established that Snake Eyes and Scarlett were pretty much a couple. Scarlett was often his spokesman and advocate as he was otherwise a silent mystery to the rest of the G.I. Joe team.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Given the often embittered standards of professional movie critics, this is definitely better than the critical reception is; they’ve given a lot more leeway to films equal in quality or worse, but that are either too popular for them to be taken seriously, or that cater to their specific tastes. The film has far better character arcs and uses its cast better than pretty much any of the ones in The Last Jedi, for instance. I think some of the critical backlash is because they know the franchise is less established, weaker, and therefore something they can vent some frustration at.

Having said that… this is definitely a flawed movie that’s best case evaluation is “pretty good” rather than just good or great. Storm Shadow has the best arc and realization of his potential, Baroness is a great surprise in terms fo how much personality makes it to screen for such little screentime, and the action is well done while the drama is competent throughout. The weak spot is Snake Eye’s personal story and the main villain Kenta; Golding does good work with his material, but the material is limited and unevenly paced, while Kenta is a strictly functional villain rather than a memorable one.

If there were two or three things this film’s script could have used, it might have been some more future-Cobra-affiliated villains to both better flush out the antagonist and better pace Snake Eye’s personal arc by downgrading some of his more anti-heroic moments… and maybe to incorporate something leading to him being mute as a penalty for his “sins.”
    Last edited by godisawesome; 07-25-2021 at 07:12 AM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not a preexisting GI Joe fan and had never seen any of the other movies, but I thought it was okay. Story was a little thin, but the actors did a decent job getting you invested in the characters. The main villain was a boring disappointment, considering all the potential he with his backstory (Baroness, as minor a character as she was, was the most interesting bad guy in the film), but everyone else worked. Would be up for a sequel/expansion.

Was I the only one wondering if spoilers:
    there had been plans to set up a romantic dynamic between Snake Eyes and Akiko, since a lot of the beats seemed like they were classic blockbuster love story fodder? Case in point, we see them bantering during that practice duel. They have the emotional bit the evening before the final test. Despite it being repeatedly said that the final test is either pass or die, Akiko stops the anacondas from killing Snake Eyes and gets him out of there. After he's expelled in the aftermath, she's the one who unsuccessfully tries to talk to him before leaving. It's her, not Storm Shadow, that catches him in the act of stealing the not-infinity stone, putting her in the position of being the person who discover firsthand that he was playing them. Finally, when they first see that he's fighting their enemies and getting overwhelmed, Akiko, not Storm Shadow, is the one to decide that they can't just let him die like that.

Granted, nothing came of these beats, obviously, and I've seen nothing online with the actors or filmmakers confirming what kind of relationship those characters were supposed to have and so far as the hypothetical sequel goes, the only character dynamics they've mentioned wanting to explore are Snake Eyes and Scarlett (no clue whether they're thinking love story or otherwise with that). I liked the dynamic either way, but have been wondering if I'm just seeing things or if there was something there.
    end of spoilers
    Thanks for the comments bro. Yeah, very interesting ideas here. I got the same vibe as you did. spoilers:
    For a couple of moments in the movie, I thought that there was something going on between Snake Eyes and Akiko. In one sense, I thought it was Akiko and Snake Eyes building a mutual trust. But yeah, it felt something more. Don't know where that will go in the future, if at all.

Tell you what, I'm thinking that the film is building something between Scarlett and Baroness . Though I'm all for the Snake Eyes/Scarlett pairing, I could see the movie franchise taking a creative detour and building something between those two. There's an implied past relationship there that was rekindled during the fight together. Maybe it's supposed to be sibling-esque like between Snake and Storm. Maybe something more though!
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I actually kinda liked that Storm Shadow had a legitimate grievance with Snake Eyes in the end. I will concede that I wished that the pride that lead to him being unable to accept the judgement and turning his back on his family had been better foreshadowed, but I liked that you can sympathize with his position, even if you can see how he's taking his first steps to the dark side. (Frankly, I was most surprised that he'd join Cobra after they had been one of the factions involved with the attack that lead to him being deposed, but I guess seeing as he seemed to covet leadership to some extent, the carrot might've been too much to resist.)

So far as Snake Eyes went, I didn't think he was accepted into the clan (he outright failed the final test and I took his second round "passing" was more of a personal victory of having defeated the demons that had been ruling his life and leading him to do terrible things). I took it that he was essentially granted clemency for his role in the stone getting stolen, given that he chose to help them defend the compound and get it back in the end. That might not be "fair," but it seemed like, in the end, he had learned from his sins and was willing to make them right, unlike how Storm Shadow seemed unable to accept his own "sin," much less repent from it and undertake penance to right things. I mean, Storm Shadow leaves the movie deciding that he was "robbed" and is willing to make a deal with the devil to obtain a fraction of what he thinks he was entitled, while Snake Eyes leaves to finish making right the wrongs he helped create before moving on with his life. It might not seem completely "just," but there is always an element of "injustice" in showing mercy. Milage may vary.
    end of spoilers
    Good explanation there. And I'm glad that you saw my point. Still spoilers:
    am I against Storm? Do I think he's making the wrong call here? In some respects yes. Yes, he went against the clan's rules. But I feel he was driven to that particular moment. The guy was dealing with that betrayal beforehand. He placed his trust in a figure, an outsider, who he thought would bring the Arashikage into a brighter, better future. He gave into rage sure, but it was against this enemy who was going to straight up murder the clan. Would he have been able to commit penance for that? The clan mother's response was pretty clear cut that Tommy wouldn't lead. So, yes, I feel Storm was in the more in the right for his decision. I don't think that his alliance with Cobra is based off of shared ideology. He just wants them to help him get back at Snake.

As for Snake Eyes, I could see him making things right. He helped out at the end. But, the clan mother, or Blind or Hard Master don't give him a brow beating? Don't have harsh words for what he did? Don't tell him what he can do for recompense? That gets me.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Would agree that Koji did a lot with his character. I kinda found him a little bit flat in the writing with the other characters. His connecting with Snake Eyes was kinda linear; since he seems to instantly accept him as a trusted friend right away and that doesn't change until the deception is revealed and he the light switch flips to mortal enemy. On paper, I actually found Snake Eyes and Akiko to be a more interesting dynamic, since she's skeptical at first and we see Snake Eyes having to earn her trust and her more complicated feelings about it once she learns that he was a spy from the beginning. That said, Koji and Henry Golding did really sell everything with the performances, even if the writing was a little lacking.

Kinda found the supporting characters -- Baroness, the blind ninja master, and Scarlett, for example -- to be the most compelling performances. They are not given a lot of depth in the writing, but the actors really give them a lot of personality and it feels like they have years of history informing their scenes. Recall that the behind the scenes assumption was that Baroness and Scarlett had been friends before becoming enemies, and that certainly comes across whenever they're in the same room. If there is a sequel, I'd really like to see them back alongside the central characters.
    end of spoilers
    Were those characters made compelling? There was enough given, but there could have been more? I think so. The chemistry between those two characters was there though. I'd like to see more of that in the future.

A quick question: could Blind Master and Hard Master be considered "outsiders"? If they were, then how did they become part of the clan? They aren't Japanese. How could they have been part of the Arashikage?
    "I am a man of peace."