Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You remember their mundane combat suits? For the life of me all I can remember are those weird ass exo power suits they wore in France...
    I remember those too .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember those too .
    I'm not a GI Joe fan like some here - I just missed the heyday of the cartoon, being a 90s kid instead of an 80s kid, having only seen some reruns I don't remember now, but I have to assume those power suits came out of nowhere as something the movie made up yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Who knows if the Snake-Eyes movie will lead to a successful reboot, but maybe the franchise should lean into what made the original interesting to kids - the Pokemon-like differentiation of characters with their own quirky look and skillset. Isn't that what was interesting in the first place? They each had fun call-signs and specific skills and fun costumes. The blend of colorful adventure with the feel of genuine military operations was fun! Larry Hama knew weapons, which grounded the comic book, but we still had Zartan, who could change his face, and ninjas and robots, etc. I don't know that any of the movies have been able to really find the right blend to maximize the fun potential of the franchise.
    Agreed. Also, don't forget the witty banter & fun interactions between the eclectic cast of characters...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Also, don't forget the witty banter & fun interactions between the eclectic cast of characters...

I get that he's obviously the Navy/sailor Joe, but why does he have a parrot? He's not a old timey pirate.

Shipwreck was particularly ridiculous (esp with his Jack Nicholson voice) I'm pretty sure he started out in the cartoon. The ones in the comics at least had some semblance of rational military expertise.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Shipwreck was particularly ridiculous (esp with his Jack Nicholson voice) I'm pretty sure he started out in the cartoon.
    Check out his first appearance here where he navigates a sea… of sorts. It predated his Marvel comics debut by a year.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Shipwreck was one of my favorite Joe's because of the cartoon .

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

At the risk of morphing this thread into a general G.I. Joe discussion , who can forget Shipwreck's seminal two-part "There's No Place Like Springfield" arc written by the late great Steve Gerber?

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Shipwreck was one of my favorite Joe's because of the cartoon .
    Me too (especially, after he befriended the orphans & told them the fairy tale adventures of ShipShape):

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-09-2021 at 08:38 PM.

My favorite episode is when Shipwreck, Dial-Tone, and Lifeline get promoted to colonels through a Cobra plot and are utterly terrible at it and someone points out how it makes no sense since Shipwreck's in the Navy .

The films should be licensed out to Marvel for future development. Bring more of a sensibility reflecting the comics and cartoon mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The films should be licensed out to Marvel for future development. Bring more of a sensibility reflecting the comics and cartoon mythos.
    Gi Jo in the MCU? Ya that would be cool.

Extraordinary Member

Snake Eyes Continues G.I. Joe's Movie Mistake: It Should've Been A TV Show
    Snake Eyes proves again that G.I. Joe movies don't work. G.I. Joe would be better as a streaming show that could do justice to the Joes vs. Cobra.
    Warning: SPOILERS for Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins.
    https://screenrant.com/snake-eyes-gi...ovies-mistake/

Lorenzo di Bonaventura Talks About The Future Of The G.I. Joe Live Action Movie Franchise
    https://news.hisstank.com/2021/07/27...ranchise-75085

The Future of GI Joe Classified
    https://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94374

I personally thought Snake Eyes works just fine it was a good movie.

Extraordinary Member

The movie was...not good. I'm a big fan of Andrew Koji and Warrior, so he didn't disappoint in the least, but Golding did not sell me as a fighter at all. It just seemed so unnatural to him.

Anyone who's seen GI Joe Resolute knows a good GI Joe movie can be made. I'll still never understand how animated versions of certain properties can get the gist of everything right, but in live action it almost always falls apart within the first five minutes.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 04-04-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.