Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    If Zdarsky does Amazing, I think it will be a short run ( like Stern). Why? He has told a number of Peter stories ( including Life Story), so I wonder how much more he has to tell? As for Spencer, IF and again this is a BIG IF he is gone in September, it will because Marvel removed him from the book. How? By pushing issues out quickly to get rid of him and force an end to the Kindred arc one way or the other and bring the next writer onboard ( ps. every week certainly qualifies as pushing issues out quickly). Why would they do it? Possibility #1 as I mentioned before, Marvel and ( or) Disney is dissatisfied with his run. Possibility # 2. They have the chance to bring an A list writer like Zdarsky to Amazing and they are not letting a C or D List writer like Nick Spencer block him. Possibility # 3. Both one and two are true.
    Even a small run of around 50 issues with Zdarsky would be gold although I hope he gets around a 100.
    He has said he has no more stories to tell with Spidey but he keeps using him in DD and the new annual and it is always a hit.
    I think more than anything they are pushing issues because the Kindred stuff was getting very problematic and they were starting to loose people.I think it was a pacing problem.
    Again he can easily wrap up the main plot threads and a lot of the side ones by september(specially if we get like 3 issues).
    The remaining ones are for the future writer to take on.
    Again here's hoping Zdarsky does get the book

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Even a small run of around 50 issues with Zdarsky would be gold although I hope he gets around a 100.
    He has said he has no more stories to tell with Spidey but he keeps using him in DD and the new annual and it is always a hit.
    I think more than anything they are pushing issues because the Kindred stuff was getting very problematic and they were starting to loose people.I think it was a pacing problem.
    Again he can easily wrap up the main plot threads and a lot of the side ones by september(specially if we get like 3 issues).
    The remaining ones are for the future writer to take on.
    Again here's hoping Zdarsky does get the book
    If Zdarsky gets the book and decides to do 100, he might as well keep going because ASM 1,000 will be not far after that, but I suspect it will be around 50 issues as you suggest. As for Kindred, I have little doubt Kindred is losing people. I can tell you Spencer certainly lost my interest and I want Kindred and the Damsel In Distress and Peter as a loser BS over. They are not quite on an OMD/BND level but getting pretty close.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-01-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

If Zdarsky gets the book and decides to do 100, he might as well keep going because ASM 1,000 will be not far after that, but I suspect it will be around 50 issues as you suggest. As for Kindred, I have little doubt Kindred is losing people. I can tell you Spencer certainly lost my interest and I want Kindred and the Damsel In Distress and Peter as a loser BS over. They are not quite on an OMD/BND level but getting pretty close.
    Yeah.He might as well go for the 1000.Probably not though.Although if it means we get Zdrasky on ASM for anything from 50 issues or more.
    I still like Spencer's run.
    The Damsel in Distress is a valid point but seems intentional.He is trying to break peter down slowly but not just destroy him.
    This run also seems to be more of a transition to give the next writer a clean slate.
    Hence Zdarsky would be great because they cannot afford to mess up the next run.

Astonishing Member

Yeah.He might as well go for the 1000.Probably not though.Although if it means we get Zdrasky on ASM for anything from 50 issues or more.
    I still like Spencer's run.
    The Damsel in Distress is a valid point but seems intentional.He is trying to break peter down slowly but not just destroy him.
    This run also seems to be more of a transition to give the next writer a clean slate.
    Hence Zdarsky would be great because they cannot afford to mess up the next run.
    The problem with Spencer as a transition run is several. 1: As a professional you do not want to essentially be the “C-Student” who a decade from now is only remembered in a good way for Gibbon and that is about it. Dan Slott can take credit for Spider-Island, Renew Your Vows and Ends of the Earth. Even Marc Wolfman ( as bad as he was) still came up with the idea of Black Cat. 2: Spencer has become use a James Bond Analogy Pierce Brosnan. The middle guy between the reviled Roger Moore run ( Bond in Outer Space and in clown makeup being two notorious examples and the praised Daniel Craig run. I have not seen one Brosnan film listed on the Top 10 lists of James Bond. ps. I like much of BrosnanĀ’s other stuff: The November Man, Remington Steele, The Son and Some Kind Of Beautiful ( of course Salma Hayak is my personal favorite actress ( looks and talent) so I am biased there). Here is the single most damming thing of Spencer’s run: The best story of Spider-Man during his run came from Zdarsky ( Life Story). One that might make an All-Time Top 10 list while Spencer has one Gibbon ( that places in the top 50 and behind the Slott trio. That about says it all.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-02-2021 at 02:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

The problem with Spencer as a transition run is several. 1: As a professional you do not want to essentially be the “C-Student” who a decade from now is only remembered in a good way for Gibbon and that is about it. Dan Slott can take credit for Spider-Island, Renew Your Vows and Ends of the Earth. Even Marc Wolfman ( as bad as he was) still came up with the idea of Black Cat. 2: Spencer has become use a James Bond Analogy Pierce Brosnan. The middle guy between the reviled Roger Moore run ( Bond in Outer Space and in clown makeup being two notorious examples and the praised Daniel Craig run. I have not seen one Brosnan film listed on the Top 10 lists of James Bond. ps. I like much of BrosnanĀ’s other stuff: The November Man, Remington Steele, The Son and Some Kind Of Beautiful ( of course Salma Hayak is my personal favorite actress ( looks and talent) so I am biased there). Here is the single most damming thing of Spencer’s run: The best story of Spider-Man during his run came from Zdarsky ( Life Story). One that might make an All-Time Top 10 list while Spencer has one Gibbon ( that places in the top 50 and behind the Slott trio. That about says it all.
    I disagree with you on Life Story. To me Chip Zdarsky's best Spider-Man story during Spencer's run on TASM is Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310. It's a masterpiece that's in my top 10 Spider-Man stories ever.

I will say my interest in Spencer's run has dropped since Last Remains. My favourite Spencer story from his ASM run is probably Back to Basics.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 06-02-2021 at 02:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I disagree a bit.This run is nailing characters and instead of just magically changing their behaviour to how it is supposed to be it addresses slott's and BND flaws and makes chracters even better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I disagree with you on Life Story. To me Chip Zdarsky's best Spider-Man story during Spencer's run on TASM is Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310. It's a masterpiece that's in my top 10 Spider-Man stories ever.

I will say my interest in Spencer's run has dropped since Last Remains. My favourite Spencer story from his ASM run is probably Back to Basics.
    This,310 was amazing.The ending was just *chef's kiss*

Astonishing Member

Preferring PPSM 310 and Back To Basics is fair and of course a matter of taste. But the point still remains that during the Nick Spencer run, someone either then Spencer came up with more memorable Peter stories. That is something that can only be viewed as the C-Student ( compared to the A-Student in Zdarsky) and ( Brosnan compared to Craig).

Astonishing Member

Preferring PPSM 310 and Back To Basics is fair and of course a matter of taste. But the point still remains that during the Nick Spencer run, someone either then Spencer came up with more memorable Peter stories. That is something that can only be viewed as the C-Student ( compared to the A-Student in Zdarsky) and ( Brosnan compared to Craig).
    I'd agree with that. Another example is Doctor Who having to follow Tennant and Smith particularly. Capaldi was able. Whittaker hasn't not helped by bad scripts but she doesn't have the gravitas required for the part.

Astonishing Member

My Dinner With Jonah from PP: TSSM #6 is another but I think that came before Spencer's run. I'm fond of Heist from said run for how it redeemed Black Cat after Slott's wreckage of her.

Astonishing Member

This,310 was amazing.The ending was just *chef's kiss*
    Just seen this now. Thanks for agreeing. I LOVE that issue. It's perfect from beginning to end. It goes with two first printings of Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen's debut as my most prized comic books I own along with Grant Morrison Batman run from 2006-2013 and my Marvel Omnibus of Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member

Just seen this now. Thanks for agreeing. I LOVE that issue. It's perfect from beginning to end. It goes with two first printings of Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen's debut as my most prized comic books I own along with Grant Morrison Batman run from 2006-2013 and my Marvel Omnibus of Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Spider-Man.
    One of the reasons Zdarsky is the goat.