Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default The world would be better if Clark's powers were given to someone else

Remember when Batman got superman's powers and basically cleaned up Gotham over night and then moved on to stopping crime all over the world? If not then look at the scans below.

Granted batman went insane and attacked his team for trying to stop him but the intentions were there. Clark's powers are wasted on him because he isn't completely dedicated to being a super hero. He is a hero because he feels like it's his responsibility to use his amazing gifts to help others; basically hero via not wanting to feel guilty. To further explain this, when Superman loses his powers and becomes a regular joe, who works 9-5, he has no drive to go out of his way to stop crime in his city, like say green arrow would. Superman is always in conflict with wanting to live a normal life and be a hero, it's that indecisiveness is why he doesn't actively stop crime throughout the world like batman did when he got his powers. I think if superman's powers were transferred to someone far more focused in stopping crime and who had no other distractions, it would be better utilized.
    Last edited by Harrynorine; 02-16-2023 at 02:30 PM.

The Post Crisis Superman didn’t want to be a hero sure. But he’s been rebooted two times since then so that doesn’t really apply anymore. Jurgens had him patrolling Gotham and fighting crime even without his powers in Convergence:

Johns had him risking his life to help others without his powers too:

(Context is that his Solar Flare has left him powerless for the day, but he keeps calm and doesn’t let the mugger know he’s not bulletproof anymore).

And funnily enough, when Superman did talk to the League about doing more, it was your boy Bats who shot the idea down and said they should just stick to keeping the status quo:

So he does have a drive to help people. He would like to do more. And that story you posted undermines your point because clearly the average person isn’t equipped to handle Superman’s powers without going overboard.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The world would be better if Clark's powers were given to Lois

eradicatorlois1.jpg

eradicatorlois2.jpg

eradicatorlois3.jpg

This has to be take on the level of "why doesn't Batman give all his money to charity".

Yeah, let's completely ignore the constraints put on a character in order so there can be an ongoing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrynorine View Post
    Remember when Batman got superman's powers and basically cleaned up Gotham over night and then moved on to stopping crime all over the world? If not then look at the scans below.

Granted batman went insane and attacked his team for trying to stop him but the intentions were there. Clark's powers are wasted on him because he isn't completely dedicated to being a super hero. He is a hero because he feels like it's his responsibility to use his amazing gifts to help others; basically hero via not wanting to feel guilty. To further explain this, when Superman loses his powers and becomes a regular joe, who works 9-5, he has no drive to go out of his way to stop crime in his city, like say green arrow would. Superman is always in conflict with wanting to live a normal life and be a hero, it's that indecisiveness is why he doesn't actively stop crime throughout the world like batman did when he got his powers. I think if superman's powers were transferred to someone far more focused in stopping crime and who had no other distractions, it would be better utilized.
    Right off the bat I am going to strongly disagree with the title statement. Batworship aside, Superman is Superman

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

How can superman stop crime if he is on the other side of it?bruce can declare war on crime.that doesn't mean squat..Clark has never done so.His objective ain't something born from some dumb tragedy(everyone goes through those).His motivations are different and where he comes from too.Sure,he has taken down some self serving jackasses here and there like lex himself..But, that's about it
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-16-2023 at 09:22 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Arrow

I'm a huge Batman fan but I think the temptation would be too great for Bats. He'd eventually abuse the power in the name of "doing good" because of his motivation. A character like Clark Kent or Goku from Dragon Ball having near-unlimited power is one thing because they are wholesome (for lack of a better term) and will not be easily corrupted. Someone like Batman wielding the same amount of power without anyone of equal or greater power to hold him in check is frightening.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-16-2023 at 09:42 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm a huge Batman fan but I think the temptation would be too great for Bats. He'd eventually abuse the power in the name of "doing good" because of his motivation. A character like Clark Kent or Goku from Dragon Ball having near-unlimited power is one thing because they are wholesome (for lack of a better term) and will not be easily corrupted. Someone like Batman wielding the same amount of power without anyone of equal or greater power to hold him in check is frightening.
    Goku is more goofy than wholesome unless you go for the kid versions and interacting with the same like with gohan.The whole show becomes that when that happens.Heck!the green alien is more wholesome than goku
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Clark is the one and only Superman, anyone else pales in comparison. When used properly, Superman is a great character. And yes, he had a reason for doing this.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harrynorine View Post

This is just a silly Bat-god story, if it would work like that the gazillion superpowered superheroes in DC would have cleaned the world 1000s of times over already.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post

Clark is the one and only Superman, anyone else pales in comparison. When used properly, Superman is a great character. And yes, he had a reason for doing this.
    But titles like that are also just stupid for pretty similar reasons.

The obvious answers are 1) nobody could eliminate all crime, even with Superman's powers and 2) if that guy could eliminate all crime then there'd be no stories to tell. Usually the stories where Superman does succeed in eliminating crime are dystopian and Superman becomes the menace that needs to be dealt with.

EDIT: Guess I'll leave my snarky comment about how the swords are there to tell you that Batman was in Japan...
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 02-17-2023 at 07:10 AM.

BANNED

1: Giving an example to the hero who uses his resources to kill his friends instead of stopping his villains, is not the best idea.
    2: good and evil are not absolute, it depends on each one of us, each person decides what is wrong and what is right, to finally do it as a society, that is why in a civilized world no one can judge and punish for himself, that person would be a criminal.
    3: that a superior force fixes our problems is only a temporary solution, in the long run it limits us and makes us dependent, we would be farm animals.
    4: If we decide that the heroes have to solve the world's problems, the first responsible would be the human heroes, not the alien.

This is not the first time that I have come across something similar, the question of why Superman does not use his powers to solve the world's problems, is something common, Superman not other heroes, even in one of his worst moments in terms of popularity and He's still the HERO.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Goku is more goofy than wholesome unless you go for the kid versions and interacting with the same like with gohan.The whole show becomes that when that happens.Heck!the green alien is more wholesome than goku
    I consider Goku wholesome because he simply wants to improve his skills rather than use them to dominate others or rule the world/universe. Also, he has given or tried to give multiple villains (even Frieza when they first met) a second chance to become better people a la Clark Kent in Superman. Either way, I'd rather give a Goku, a Clark, or a Peter Parker ultimate power than I would a Bruce Wayne and I'm a huge Batman fan.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Batman (at least modern Batman) strikes me as the type that is always looking for another crime to fight or criminal to terrorize and if he has to keep making new laws and standards to justify it he will.

Retired

Is this meant to be a joke topic?