Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The Superman Fan Fiction Workshop

If you are a hard-core fan of Superman and his world, chances are you've either thought up or jotted down one of your own stories at some point or another. Not necessarily because you think DC will ever publish, but just because you love scratching that particular creative itch. Well, this is the place you can share it with others if you so choose.

Now, I understand this may be a bit nerve-wracking for some of you. While we may have no problem discussing and criticizing the minutiae of professional creator's work, showing your work is a very different proposition. However, this isn't going to be a place where your work is going to be judged too harshly. Our guiding principle on this thread is to provide feedback and criticism about what works and what can be improved, rather than how bad something may or may not be. The goal is to help, not to ridicule and anyone doing so won't be welcome here.

Here's the general guidelines for anyone who wants to participate.

1) DON'T POST YOUR FULL WORK HERE. This will just lead to walls and walls of impenetrable text that will make navigating posts cumbersome. Simply post a link to your work using Google Docs or something so that people can read your work on its own.

2) Along with a link to your work, post a PITCH for any potential readers of a few sentences. Don't spoil anything, but give us an idea of what kind of story you're telling. Think of it like a 10 to 15 second commercial trying to entice readers.

3) KEEP IT PG-13. Sorry, but this is not the place to post your Exotic Adventures of Maxima and the Pleasure Planet of The Super-Twinks fan fic. This should generally be stuff that anyone can read. If you want to share something more adult, I'm sure there's other places on the internet for that.

That's it! Remember to have fun and, if you post your own work, please try to read other's and give them some kind of constructive feed back about what you liked, but also about what didn't work for you.

THE PITCH: Young Luthor at War! Starting in 1935, this tale of adventure, suspense, and pulpy thrills follows Alexei Luthor on his globe-trotting exploits prior to his first encounter with his eventual arch-nemesis, Superman, in 1940. Featuring an assortment of DCU guest-stars, this is an attempt to approach the primordial Luthor as if he were the protagonist of Breaking Bad. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If you are a hard-core fan of Superman and his world, chances are you've either thought up or jotted down one of your own stories at some point or another. Not necessarily because you think DC will ever publish, but just because you love scratching that particular creative itch. Well, this is the place you can share it with others if you so choose.

Now, I understand this may be a bit nerve-wracking for some of you. While we may have no problem discussing and criticizing the minutiae of professional creator's work, showing your work is a very different proposition. However, this isn't going to be a place where your work is going to be judged too harshly. Our guiding principle on this thread is to provide feedback and criticism about what works and what can be improved, rather than how bad something may or may not be. The goal is to help, not to ridicule and anyone doing so won't be welcome here.

Here's the general guidelines for anyone who wants to participate.

1) DON'T POST YOUR FULL WORK HERE. This will just lead to walls and walls of impenetrable text that will make navigating posts cumbersome. Simply post a link to your work using Google Docs or something so that people can read your work on its own.

2) Along with a link to your work, post a PITCH for any potential readers of a few sentences. Don't spoil anything, but give us an idea of what kind of story you're telling. Think of it like a 10 to 15 second commercial trying to entice readers.

3) KEEP IT PG-13. Sorry, but this is not the place to post your Exotic Adventures of Maxima and the Pleasure Planet of The Super-Twinks fan fic. This should generally be stuff that anyone can read. If you want to share something more adult, I'm sure there's other places on the internet for that.

That's it! Remember to have fun and, if you post your own work, please try to read other's and give them some kind of constructive feed back about what you liked, but also about what didn't work for you.
    I feel attacked. You knew I'd read this and have a Maxima pitch.

Maybe I'll share my stuff someday when I feel like torturing you all, but for now it's still being worked on. I promise it's extra awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I feel attacked. You knew I'd read this and have a Maxima pitch.
    You don't remember getting drunk and sending it to me already? That scene in the Almerac Fantasmo-Harem still haunts my dreams

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

There was one I wrote as a teen years ago that I've long since lost,but I've often thought about revisiting and rewriting now as a old dude. The premise is thus...
    In the 23rd century...

In the fourth year of their five year mission , The UFP starship the USS ENTERPRISE encounters a strange anomaly in space...a humanoid lifeform found floating among wreckage of a space ship,unconscious...but alive! Upon beaming the being aboard they make a strange discovery, this being is the splitting image of a folk hero that Captain James Kirk grew up reading of his adventures as a child...the hero known as Superman!

But.... Superman isn't supposed to exist...or does he?

Somewhere else in deep space...

An orion Star ship unknowingly comes across another similar anomaly also among wreckage...another lifeform. The space pirates bring it aboard their ship but soon come to regret it...as this is the menace known throughout another place and time as the collector of worlds...BRAINIAC.

And we go from there.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-14-2021 at 03:28 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    There was one I wrote as a teen years ago that I've long since lost,but I've often thought about revisiting and rewriting now as a old dude. The premise is thus...
    In the 23rd century...

In the fourth year of their five year mission , The UFP starship the USS ENTERPRISE encounters a strange anomaly in space...a humanoid lifeform found floating among wreckage of a space ship,unconscious...but alive! Upon beaming the being aboard they make a strange discovery, this being is the splitting image of a folk hero that Captain James Kirk grew up reading of his adventures as a child...the hero known as Superman!

An orion Star ship unknowingly comes across another similar anomaly also among wreckage...another lifeform. The space pirates bring it aboard their ship but soon come to regret it...as this is the menace known throughout another place and time as the collector of worlds...BRAINIAC.

And we go from there.
    This sounds great! Please write this one up. I'd love to read it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This sounds great! Please write this one up. I'd love to read it.
    It may take awhile lol. I wish I still had my old notebook that I wrote the original way back when I was 16/17, but it got lost in a couple moves. If enough people here express interest i will give it another crack. Truth be known the version I will end up writing will only share the bare bones premise shown above. The new version will be radically different in many ways because I hope 26 or so years later I will have become a better writer. I remember being proud of my original and showed it to a few friends, but looking back some aspects are kinda bad lol.

For instance I think I will approach it more from the perspective of the Enterprise crew than from both. I'm thinking of approaching it as if this was a lost two part episode of the original Star Trek series where there is a bit of mystery to solve about how an earth folk hero from America's past literature is alive and breathing on their ship. Less of a traditional Star Trek/Superman crossover and more of a Star Trek adventure in which Superman is a special guest star and their antagonist is Brainiac.

I definitely want to have Jim Kirk be a low key Superman fanboy. In other words I see teenage Jim Kirk being aware of and knowing the difference between pre crisis and post crisis Superman and later illerations. Adult Jim Kirk will be surprised that the guy on their ship is a little of all. The platonic embodiment of who and what Superman is. Think Superman of much like the guy in All Star Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    In the 23rd century...

And we go from there.
    Oh, cool. A Star Trek/Superman crossover.

I once wrote fanfics, got burned out. But I do follow a few here and there that have Supes in them...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I guess I can at least say the premise of the one I work on from time-to-time.

The general concept is Superman's entire life, start to finish, over a 12 double length issue series of interconnected one shots that jump to various points in his life.

The whole thing started from thinking about Krypto of all things and the common complaint that superhero comics never end or tell a complete story-- so I thought it would be fun to write that myself. Every "issue' is scripted like a comic because that's the way I find the universe most interesting to engage but I may one day convert it to prose and post it.

I will say, Bored has been an invaluable help generally getting me to go for broke (I initially envisioned it as 6 issues because I didn't expect to ever see a Superman book get greenlit for 12, even in a hypothetical universe).

I love every page of it and an annoyingly proud of a lot of stuff in there, but I know it's complete trash.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-14-2021 at 11:05 AM.