Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63
  1. #1
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,645

    Default The Superman Fan Fiction Workshop

    If you are a hard-core fan of Superman and his world, chances are you've either thought up or jotted down one of your own stories at some point or another. Not necessarily because you think DC will ever publish, but just because you love scratching that particular creative itch. Well, this is the place you can share it with others if you so choose.

    Now, I understand this may be a bit nerve-wracking for some of you. While we may have no problem discussing and criticizing the minutiae of professional creator's work, showing your work is a very different proposition. However, this isn't going to be a place where your work is going to be judged too harshly. Our guiding principle on this thread is to provide feedback and criticism about what works and what can be improved, rather than how bad something may or may not be. The goal is to help, not to ridicule and anyone doing so won't be welcome here.

    Here's the general guidelines for anyone who wants to participate.

    1) DON'T POST YOUR FULL WORK HERE. This will just lead to walls and walls of impenetrable text that will make navigating posts cumbersome. Simply post a link to your work using Google Docs or something so that people can read your work on its own.

    2) Along with a link to your work, post a PITCH for any potential readers of a few sentences. Don't spoil anything, but give us an idea of what kind of story you're telling. Think of it like a 10 to 15 second commercial trying to entice readers.

    3) KEEP IT PG-13. Sorry, but this is not the place to post your Exotic Adventures of Maxima and the Pleasure Planet of The Super-Twinks fan fic. This should generally be stuff that anyone can read. If you want to share something more adult, I'm sure there's other places on the internet for that.

    That's it! Remember to have fun and, if you post your own work, please try to read other's and give them some kind of constructive feed back about what you liked, but also about what didn't work for you.

  2. #2
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,645

    Default

    THE PITCH: Young Luthor at War! Starting in 1935, this tale of adventure, suspense, and pulpy thrills follows Alexei Luthor on his globe-trotting exploits prior to his first encounter with his eventual arch-nemesis, Superman, in 1940. Featuring an assortment of DCU guest-stars, this is an attempt to approach the primordial Luthor as if he were the protagonist of Breaking Bad. Enjoy!

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

  3. #3
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If you are a hard-core fan of Superman and his world, chances are you've either thought up or jotted down one of your own stories at some point or another. Not necessarily because you think DC will ever publish, but just because you love scratching that particular creative itch. Well, this is the place you can share it with others if you so choose.

    Now, I understand this may be a bit nerve-wracking for some of you. While we may have no problem discussing and criticizing the minutiae of professional creator's work, showing your work is a very different proposition. However, this isn't going to be a place where your work is going to be judged too harshly. Our guiding principle on this thread is to provide feedback and criticism about what works and what can be improved, rather than how bad something may or may not be. The goal is to help, not to ridicule and anyone doing so won't be welcome here.

    Here's the general guidelines for anyone who wants to participate.

    1) DON'T POST YOUR FULL WORK HERE. This will just lead to walls and walls of impenetrable text that will make navigating posts cumbersome. Simply post a link to your work using Google Docs or something so that people can read your work on its own.

    2) Along with a link to your work, post a PITCH for any potential readers of a few sentences. Don't spoil anything, but give us an idea of what kind of story you're telling. Think of it like a 10 to 15 second commercial trying to entice readers.

    3) KEEP IT PG-13. Sorry, but this is not the place to post your Exotic Adventures of Maxima and the Pleasure Planet of The Super-Twinks fan fic. This should generally be stuff that anyone can read. If you want to share something more adult, I'm sure there's other places on the internet for that.

    That's it! Remember to have fun and, if you post your own work, please try to read other's and give them some kind of constructive feed back about what you liked, but also about what didn't work for you.
    I feel attacked. You knew I'd read this and have a Maxima pitch.

    Maybe I'll share my stuff someday when I feel like torturing you all, but for now it's still being worked on. I promise it's extra awful.

  4. #4
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I feel attacked. You knew I'd read this and have a Maxima pitch.
    You don't remember getting drunk and sending it to me already? That scene in the Almerac Fantasmo-Harem still haunts my dreams

  5. #5
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    5,333

    Default

    There was one I wrote as a teen years ago that I've long since lost,but I've often thought about revisiting and rewriting now as a old dude. The premise is thus...
    In the 23rd century...

    In the fourth year of their five year mission , The UFP starship the USS ENTERPRISE encounters a strange anomaly in space...a humanoid lifeform found floating among wreckage of a space ship,unconscious...but alive! Upon beaming the being aboard they make a strange discovery, this being is the splitting image of a folk hero that Captain James Kirk grew up reading of his adventures as a child...the hero known as Superman!

    But.... Superman isn't supposed to exist...or does he?

    Somewhere else in deep space...


    An orion Star ship unknowingly comes across another similar anomaly also among wreckage...another lifeform. The space pirates bring it aboard their ship but soon come to regret it...as this is the menace known throughout another place and time as the collector of worlds...BRAINIAC.


    And we go from there.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 05-14-2021 at 03:28 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  6. #6
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    There was one I wrote as a teen years ago that I've long since lost,but I've often thought about revisiting and rewriting now as a old dude. The premise is thus...
    In the 23rd century...

    In the fourth year of their five year mission , The UFP starship the USS ENTERPRISE encounters a strange anomaly in space...a humanoid lifeform found floating among wreckage of a space ship,unconscious...but alive! Upon beaming the being aboard they make a strange discovery, this being is the splitting image of a folk hero that Captain James Kirk grew up reading of his adventures as a child...the hero known as Superman!

    But.... Superman isn't supposed to exist...or does he?

    Somewhere else in deep space...


    An orion Star ship unknowingly comes across another similar anomaly also among wreckage...another lifeform. The space pirates bring it aboard their ship but soon come to regret it...as this is the menace known throughout another place and time as the collector of worlds...BRAINIAC.


    And we go from there.
    This sounds great! Please write this one up. I'd love to read it.

  7. #7
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    There was one I wrote as a teen years ago that I've long since lost,but I've often thought about revisiting and rewriting now as a old dude. The premise is thus...
    In the 23rd century...

    In the fourth year of their five year mission , The UFP starship the USS ENTERPRISE encounters a strange anomaly in space...a humanoid lifeform found floating among wreckage of a space ship,unconscious...but alive! Upon beaming the being aboard they make a strange discovery, this being is the splitting image of a folk hero that Captain James Kirk grew up reading of his adventures as a child...the hero known as Superman!

    But.... Superman isn't supposed to exist...or does he?

    Somewhere else in deep space...


    An orion Star ship unknowingly comes across another similar anomaly also among wreckage...another lifeform. The space pirates bring it aboard their ship but soon come to regret it...as this is the menace known throughout another place and time as the collector of worlds...BRAINIAC.


    And we go from there.
    Oh, cool. A Star Trek/Superman crossover.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    I once wrote fanfics, got burned out. But I do follow a few here and there that have Supes in them...

  9. #9
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,878

    Default

    I guess I can at least say the premise of the one I work on from time-to-time.

    The general concept is Superman's entire life, start to finish, over a 12 double length issue series of interconnected one shots that jump to various points in his life.

    The whole thing started from thinking about Krypto of all things and the common complaint that superhero comics never end or tell a complete story-- so I thought it would be fun to write that myself. Every "issue' is scripted like a comic because that's the way I find the universe most interesting to engage but I may one day convert it to prose and post it.

    I will say, Bored has been an invaluable help generally getting me to go for broke (I initially envisioned it as 6 issues because I didn't expect to ever see a Superman book get greenlit for 12, even in a hypothetical universe).

    I love every page of it and an annoyingly proud of a lot of stuff in there, but I know it's complete trash.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-14-2021 at 11:05 AM.

  10. #10
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    5,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This sounds great! Please write this one up. I'd love to read it.
    It may take awhile lol. I wish I still had my old notebook that I wrote the original way back when I was 16/17, but it got lost in a couple moves. If enough people here express interest i will give it another crack. Truth be known the version I will end up writing will only share the bare bones premise shown above. The new version will be radically different in many ways because I hope 26 or so years later I will have become a better writer. I remember being proud of my original and showed it to a few friends, but looking back some aspects are kinda bad lol.

    For instance I think I will approach it more from the perspective of the Enterprise crew than from both. I'm thinking of approaching it as if this was a lost two part episode of the original Star Trek series where there is a bit of mystery to solve about how an earth folk hero from America's past literature is alive and breathing on their ship. Less of a traditional Star Trek/Superman crossover and more of a Star Trek adventure in which Superman is a special guest star and their antagonist is Brainiac.

    I definitely want to have Jim Kirk be a low key Superman fanboy. In other words I see teenage Jim Kirk being aware of and knowing the difference between pre crisis and post crisis Superman and later illerations. Adult Jim Kirk will be surprised that the guy on their ship is a little of all. The platonic embodiment of who and what Superman is. Think Superman of much like the guy in All Star Superman.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    5,693

    Default

    I have one. Haven't posted it anywhere. May post a link here if I ever do.
    Greenlight the Smallville animated series, WB!

  12. #12
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    265

    Default

    There was this one idea I don't mind throwing in, it's kinda my own "Elseworld-style" 12-Parter, a Superman: Year One Saga:

    I wrote my own concept around making the company Lex-Corp itself into a much bigger "big bad" than just Lex Luthor itself. Drawing reference from certain famous japanese manga/ videogame storylines like "Death Note"'s Yotsuba Group and "Final Fantasy VII"'s Shinra Corporation; "L-Corp" would have it's own think-tank of major mad scientists all funded by (at the time) CEO Lionel Luthor to test the upper limits of this new "mysterious meta-human" Superman. The Think-tank comprises of:

    Dabney Donovan: Head of Lex-Corp's "Cadmus" division, obsessed with genetic engineering, there's not a DNA in Metropolis he hasn't a sample of. Creator or Guardian's clones, Bizarro, Nuclear Man and Kon-El.
    Emmett Vale: Oldest friend of Lionel and head of Weapons manufacturing in Lex-Corp. John Henry Irons was his assistant until he fired him for rather cruel reasons (but mainly pure jealousy). Creator of the Metallo Alloy.
    K. Russell Abernathy: Youngest of the Think-Tank, discoverer of Kryptonite and head of the K-Man Project. Killed by Clay Ramsey, his leftover byproduct led to the creation of Parasite.
    Delores Winters: The most mysterious of the Think-tank. Old-school Golden-Age Superman fans will know this plot-twist from a mile-away.

    Lex Luthor would be introduced in the later half as a "sort-of" ally of Superman, trying to bring his father to Justice. But in a true "One-Eighty", Lex pulls a Coup-D'etat, an orchestrates the death of his father, taking control of L-Corp (renaming it "LEX-CORP")

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If you are a hard-core fan of Superman and his world, chances are you've either thought up or jotted down one of your own stories at some point or another. Not necessarily because you think DC will ever publish, but just because you love scratching that particular creative itch. Well, this is the place you can share it with others if you so choose.

    Now, I understand this may be a bit nerve-wracking for some of you. While we may have no problem discussing and criticizing the minutiae of professional creator's work, showing your work is a very different proposition. However, this isn't going to be a place where your work is going to be judged too harshly. Our guiding principle on this thread is to provide feedback and criticism about what works and what can be improved, rather than how bad something may or may not be. The goal is to help, not to ridicule and anyone doing so won't be welcome here.

    Here's the general guidelines for anyone who wants to participate.

    1) DON'T POST YOUR FULL WORK HERE. This will just lead to walls and walls of impenetrable text that will make navigating posts cumbersome. Simply post a link to your work using Google Docs or something so that people can read your work on its own.

    2) Along with a link to your work, post a PITCH for any potential readers of a few sentences. Don't spoil anything, but give us an idea of what kind of story you're telling. Think of it like a 10 to 15 second commercial trying to entice readers.

    3) KEEP IT PG-13. Sorry, but this is not the place to post your Exotic Adventures of Maxima and the Pleasure Planet of The Super-Twinks fan fic. This should generally be stuff that anyone can read. If you want to share something more adult, I'm sure there's other places on the internet for that.

    That's it! Remember to have fun and, if you post your own work, please try to read other's and give them some kind of constructive feed back about what you liked, but also about what didn't work for you.

    Can you read my mind? This was the kind of thread i wanted for a long time. I am not much of a reading fanfiction type. But like any fan i have thought of a lot of stuff about stories i want to read in Superman stories. Some of them i have posted here and there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    THE PITCH: Young Luthor at War! Starting in 1935, this tale of adventure, suspense, and pulpy thrills follows Alexei Luthor on his globe-trotting exploits prior to his first encounter with his eventual arch-nemesis, Superman, in 1940. Featuring an assortment of DCU guest-stars, this is an attempt to approach the primordial Luthor as if he were the protagonist of Breaking Bad. Enjoy!

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

    And this is good. The pitch as you have mentioned is cool. Reading this makes me wish this was a real thing. And the way you have written it gives me an idea. If i would write what i want that would take up a lot of time. Writing characters, dialogue, etc. requires skill and time. But if i try like this i maybe able to write something after all. Which could be expanded into full stories if i want to. Thanks man.

    .

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    I have a pitch. Let me just mention it. To write up something may take some time. To put it in simpler terms, think of this like Superman in the Wild West, set in space. He's like a 'Man with No Name' from Dollars trilogy or Yojimbo. He goes from planet to planet, like such heroes go from town to town, never settling in one place. Fighting, setting things right and going to the next town and adventure. For him that would be the next planet. With me till now. Lets go old school.


    "Let me speak about the living legend, the man, the myth, Superman in far future: The Superman of Tomorrow.

    When he was only 4 years old, his parents sent him to Earth to give him a chance of survival, which they didn't get. He grew up as Superman, Earth's mightiest champion who protected his adopted home for one lifetime. But what's one lifetime for mere mortals was but a minute for our Metropolis Marvel. He saved numerous lives. He made friends as well as enemies. He married the love of his life and even had children. But everything passed away with the passage of time. You see dear readers, he was an anomaly. Something that shouldn't exist in the natural order of things. He thought his powers would pass on to his offspring. It did to an extent. His descendants got some of his powers but none of his seeming immortality. With time he grew detached from humanity. Ensuring that its in safe hands, he left Earth. To fight a never ending battle of truth and justice across the stars."


    Unless someone has done something like this and i am unaware of it, this seems to me like a no-brainer. Some people complain you can't change the character very much. And heroes of this mold fits him well. Only he's Superman. This Western inspired setting for galactic adventures means the stories can go on forever.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-16-2021 at 04:31 AM.

  15. #15
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Years ago, I did a re-write of New Krypton. Where is was a full on War ala Civil War. Some differences:
    Sam Lane does a full Superhero Draft- commanders are Batman, Wonder Woman, J’onn.
    Kyle, Hal, and Guy Gardner choose to be field Commanders , while the Guardians assign Sodom Yat, kilowog, and Jon Stewart are assigned to protect New Krypton ( which Jon chooses as final redemption for Xanshi. (GL: New Krypton)
    Earth intercepts a list that Zod has of the most dangerous Earthlins in his opinion. They are : Tim Drake, Commander Luthor, Black Lightning, Jon Constantine, Zatanna, Cassandra Sandsmark( more to come on this selection),Booster Gold. Flash is assigned to protect them. ( Flash: New Krypton)
    Wonder Woman is sent to Recruit the Amazon’s. A spotlight is shown on her diplomatic skills and Amazon’s join Earth’s Army under Commander Troy.
    Nightwing is assigned to protect Martha Kent... Zod sends someone with codename flame bird (thora)to do the same . Both forces know that Martha’s safety is paramount. ( Nightwing and Flamebird )
    Kara joins her mother. Kon is drafted by Zod personally as his body guard code name Black Zero.
    Big Fights we see:
    John Stewart and Sodam Yat vs. Hal Jordan and Mon-el
    Kon vs. Kara
    Diana vs Faora
    Kara vs Alura
    Kal vs. bizarro
    Flash vs Kryptonian Assassins
    J’onn vs Zod
    Kal vs Mon
    Kal vs Zod

    Revelations and character progression:
    Faora does to protect Dick and Martha
    Kryptonians fear Amazon battle prowess
    Cassandra is on Zod’s list because she’s pregnant with the grandson of Zeus and Superman.
    Kon takes a sun dip after rebelling against Kryptonians. Overwrites his human half to make him fully Kryptonian.
    Kara leads Justice League.

    Clark/commander El keeps most of his story the same, however he is more emotionally conflicted, especially with Zod effectively holding Kon as a Hostage. He has a AI of Jonathan built that seems to conflict with the Jor-el AI throughout the series.Both of them hint at it’s His choice, and they are proud.
    Changes:Falls out with Kon and Kara. Lois comes to New krypton and surprisingly enjoys it until Hostilities take effect. Luthor uses Bizarro to initiate those Hostilities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •