Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So I'm finally ready to post my fanfic. It's about what would happen if someone on the science council actually believed Jor-El and came to Earth too and his life on Earth.

And a very special thanks to Bored at 3:00AM for all the help in uploading!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Assassinate Putin!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So I'm finally ready to post my fanfic. It's about what would happen if someone on the science council actually believed Jor-El and came to Earth too and his life on Earth.

And a very special thanks to Bored at 3:00AM for all the help in uploading!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    My pleasure. Looking forward to reading it later today. I'll give you some feedback as soon as I am finished

Fair warning, it's kind of long. And it's written in the style of a comic script.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fair warning, it's kind of long. And it's written in the style of a comic script.
    It's not too bad as you've broken it up into issues. I just finished the first issue, which was a lot of fun. I'm a sucker for Kryptonian political intrigue, even if I generally don't like a specific cause being given for Krypton's demise, be it Black Zero, Brainiac, or *shudder* Rogal Zhar. However, given the alternate history of your story, I think it's an interesting take on the doomed planet's final fate and the Science Council's machinations. The Vin-Kon stuff is retreading a lot of the same ground that Jurgens's Mr. Oz origin did, but there's enough of a twist on it that it feels fresh. Depending upon you your theoretical artist was drawing it, I'd definitely buy the second issue to see where the story is going. Did you have a particular artist in mind when writing this?

I'm curious as to the format you're using, though. I don't read a lot of comics scripts, but isn't the dialogue in all-caps and the descriptions in lower case, or has that changed now that the tradition of using all-caps in dialogue bubbles has fallen out of favor?

One more thing, I think you might want to specify that Vin-Kon appears to be of whatever the Kryptonian equivalent of Middle Eastern decent is, otherwise your story might be criticized for falling into the whole tired White Savior narrative that's no longer as accepted as it once was. The plus side is that you'd get to explore a completely unexplored cultural subgroup of Krypton.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 01-30-2022 at 11:08 PM.

I'll be honest, I don't have a writing background so I don't know the first thing about script writing. I just banged it out for fun. And he moves all over the world in the larger story. I deliberately left his appearance vague so that whoever draws it can design him to look like whatever they want him to look like. I'm sure it needs plenty of proofreading. And the dialogue probably needs punching up.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'll be honest, I don't have a writing background so I don't know the first thing about script writing. I just banged it out for fun. And he moves all over the world in the larger story. I deliberately left his appearance vague so that whoever draws it can design him to look like whatever they want him to look like. I'm sure it needs plenty of proofreading. And the dialogue probably needs punching up.
    It read great from my perspective. I'm already on issue 3 or 4, I think. Very compelling so far. I don't want to ruin any of the story here so I'll send you some more detailed feedback via private message.

THE PITCH: In October of 1956, the DCU was split into two halves. The true story has never been told…until now! Lois Lane & Clark Kent, Dick Grayson, Barry Allen, and more from across the DC Universe are being drawn together, culminating in a series of events that will change the fabric of reality forever.

Please enjoy part one of…

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...L3IpTYD0E/edit
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 02-14-2022 at 11:56 PM.

Incredible Member

Are you writing this in ten year gaps? Or do you have a different plan for the series.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Are you writing this in ten year gaps? Or do you have a different plan for the series.
    The ten year gap, in this case, was just a happy accident. Reign was set in '46 because that's when Seigel & Shuster were removed from the character (which is why it ends the way it does), whereas this story is set in '56 because that's when Barry Allen first appeared.

Incredible Member

Thanks for the explanation.

I had wondered if the third one would be 1966.

Thanks for the explanation.

I had wondered if the third one would be 1966.
    You know, I didn't realize until now, but, you're right. My Young Luthor at War! story starts in late '35, Reign of the Ubermensch! in in '46, this is set in '56, and I do indeed have another one that's a spiritual sequel to New Frontier set in the 60s, but it focuses on Supergirl, rather than Superman.

And I'm going to follow that up with one set in '73 that's essentially Fear & Loathing in the Hall of Justice, but that stars The Creeper and Ape (from Angel &)

I guess I had a pattern going that I didn't even see

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...AqEFcFNls/edit

This is more of a story about the DCU of the 60s than a Superman story, but Supergirl is one of the leads. I’ll probably have to create another of these threads for more DCU-centric fanfics.

Incredible Member

It is nice to see Donna.

Incredible Member

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...dQa4kChSs/edit

I've attached a link above to a story that I've written about the extended Superman family. It has been part of an ongoing series that I have written. I wanted to write a series that focused on family dynamics, relationships over extended time. It is centered around the relationship of the Golden Age Robin and Power Girl who are married, have numerous issues both in fighting crime, but balancing family life. But they also co-star Lois Lane, Superman, and for many of them as well the Helena Wayne Huntress. I've written 13 of these long screenplays, with descriptions interrupting the dialogue.

This is the third story in the format: The Family. Unlike many of the other stories there are no super heroics. Richard and Kara Grayson have been married for 15 years, with she about to give birth to their daughter. The story starts with Richard driving out to the Smallville farm to hire Clark Kent
    for a job with GNN (Grayson News Network). Richard convinces Clark to join his news network, then along with Lois, manages to convince Clark to come down to Wichita for a family lunch. That will later cause a major fight with Kara. But eventually both parts of the family sit down to lunch, it was only supposed to be a simple meal, but it gets a lot more complicated than that.

If there is interest in the backstory screenplays, I can post story #1 where Richard and Kara end up getting married, along with #2 where they struggle with Richard being a superhero while balancing married life in the early part of their marriage.

I think the link is working if people have trouble let me know. Of course, I welcome people's thoughts. It is a lonely task when you are writing fan fiction.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 03-05-2022 at 08:44 PM.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...dQa4kChSs/edit

I've attached a link above to a story that I've written about the extended Superman family. It has been part of an ongoing series that I have written. I wanted to write a series that focused on family dynamics, relationships over extended time. It is centered around the relationship of the Golden Age Robin and Power Girl who are married, have numerous issues both in fighting crime, but balancing family life. But they also co-star Lois Lane, Superman, and for many of them as well the Helena Wayne Huntress. I've written 13 of these long screenplays, with descriptions interrupting the dialogue.

This is the third story in the format: The Family. Unlike many of the other stories there are no super heroics. Richard and Kara Grayson have been married for 15 years, with she about to give birth to their daughter. The story starts with Richard driving out to the Smallville farm to hire Clark Kent
    for a job with GNN (Grayson News Network). Richard convinces Clark to join his news network, then along with Lois, manages to convince Clark to come down to Wichita for a family lunch. That will later cause a major fight with Kara. But eventually both parts of the family sit down to lunch, it was only supposed to be a simple meal, but it gets a lot more complicated than that.

If there is interest in the backstory screenplays, I can post story #1 where Richard and Kara end up getting married, along with #2 where they struggle with Richard being a superhero while balancing married life in the early part of their marriage.

I think the link is working if people have trouble let me know. Of course, I welcome people's thoughts. It is a lonely task when you are writing fan fiction.
    I started it, but I'm feeling a little lost. It really does feel like being dropped into the middle of a story, so I think the backstory is necessary.

I would also suggest breaking it up into more easily digestible bite-sized chunks. A 100+ page fanfic is something that few people are going to want to sit down and read from beginning to end, so it's always a good idea to give any potential readers lots of easy to use jumping on and off points so they can read it at their leisure.