Default Razane Jammal Cast As Lyta Hall For Netflix's Sandman Adaptation

Lebanese British Actress Razane Jammal has been cast as Lyta Hall for the Netflix adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. The cast also includes Jenna Coleman as 'Johnnie Constantine' an ancestor of John Constantine.

The Netflix show is all but confirmed to be it's own universe and not connected to a broader DCU but I found it interesting that they included 'Lyta Hall' along with Constantine's canonical ancestor. Plus the actress kind of looks like she could be the grown up daughter of Gal Gadot but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

In the comics, Lyta Trevor Hall was the daughter of Diana and Steve Trevor on DC's Earth 2; the world where every hero got old and had kids, including Diana. In that world, Diana gave up her immortality and had visibly aged into an older, crankier version of herself whilst her mother Hippolyta and the other Amazons still retained her youth. Lyta had her mothers powers and she joined the Infinity Inc under the code name 'Fury' and later married Hawkman and Hawkgirl's son Hector Hall who went by the code name Silver Scarab. COIE erased Earth 2 from continuity and Lyta was reinvented as the daughter of a different superhero. However, in Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, she was driven to the brink of insanity and had a role in the death of the titular character followed by her son, Daniel Hall becoming the next Dream. Lyta mostly disappeared from comics until Geoff Johns brought her and Hector Hall back in his 1999 JSA series but there were some behind-the-scenes meddling between the title and DC's Vertigo imprint (all Vertigo characters and concepts were walled off from the greater DCU at the time) which lead to both characters being killed off unceremoniously in the 'Acts of Vengeance' story line wherein they were quietly forgotten.

This is the first time the character has appeared in any adaptation.

Anyway, even though the character is likely to not have any connection to WW mythos in the adaptation, as a Wonder Woman adjacent character, I thought it would be best to have a thread here.
    Last edited by John Venus; 05-26-2021 at 09:23 PM.

I haaaaaaaaaaated her removal from DC main continuity to be fiddked with by an imprint. It was such a disservice to the character and the mythos....

I'm surprised that DC didn't take advantage of the renewed interest surrounding Steve/Diana after the movie to re-introduce Fury to the audience. I know Rucka was working on 'Diana's Daughter' before dropping it but it seems like the perfect thing for their YA line of books.

Not just 'fiddked' in another imprint and leaving her dead but letting her character languish by not letting other writers do anything with her in the main universe afterwards.

They are making a big deal about this show being diverse and inclusive but I don't expect Lyta to be anything more than 'crazy woman wronged by Dream who ends up unleashing the Fury's on him and killing him in the end'.

She could easily be a top tier legacy character but what do I know DC. Like the lore is already there no matter how disjointed and Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor is pretty much the endgame DC has decided on for years at this point. She could easily be brought into canon with all her history intact both as Lyta Hall and Fury.

Astonishing Member

Aside from the general problems the crisis keep doing with characters ages, keeping Lyta canon as Diana’s daughter would probably stray perilously close to the line with the agreement DC has with Gaiman re Sandman characters

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Aside from the general problems the crisis keep doing with characters ages, keeping Lyta canon as Diana’s daughter would probably stray perilously close to the line with the agreement DC has with Gaiman re Sandman characters
    Which is stupid because they weren't created by Gaiman and aren't being used in any Sandman universe stuff. Same if Sand being cut between Doomsday Clock and the JSA relaunch has something to do with avoiding confusion like Digifiend theorized. They shouldn't be restricted like this.

Though we saw Hector and Lyta in the Infinity Inc photo in Infinite Frontier, so they exist in universe again. No idea if they're alive, dead, or trapped in Dreaming. It would be great if they could be brought back. Also unknown what Lyta's origin is, but it is unlikely she'd be Diana and Steve's daughter, even if they're moving Diana's origin back to the golden age, though they could have Diana be her mentor in that case.

Assuming that's true, Gaiman shouldn't have any say over characters he didn't create.

Besides, DC has rebooted how many times now? The events of Sandman happened to a Hector and Lyta of a different universe altogether.

Meanwhile, nobody remembers poor Hector at all.

Anyway, nothing is really stopping DC from simply renaming both Lyta and Hector.