Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Incredible Member Fuzzy Mittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Powers wise I like the notion of Wonder Womans skillset being the same as everyone elses, just with her being the best with it.
    Thus every Amazon is capable of:
    *Feats of incredible strength
    *Projecting themselves astrally
    *Mind powers
    *Mastery of all languages including animals (I prefer the 'learned' method, though magically is fine too)
    *And of course 'fast enough to deflect bullets with bracelets' since 'bullets and bracelets' is a signature part of the origin at this point.
    *Flight or gliding is a maybe. I feel like given some of the things in their bag of toys it would be kinda redundant in one way or another but....

    Technology-wise I also liked:
    *the invisible jet/swan planes. The Lanisarian technology thing from post crisis was a fine origin for it. Could even use that 'solar magnet' method of transportation explained in the golden age. Toss in that weirdly specific ability of being immune to lasers, and its quite handy.
    *The whole 'breathing underwater' aparatus. Be this the pill from the golden age or that rebreather that popped up just last month, I like the idea that these islander Amazons can explore the surrounding seas with ease.
    *Mental radios. Being able to contact one another psychically through the use of devices that channel psychic energy is a pretty sweet concept and id love to see more of it
    *Purple Ray. A ray that heals. That is all.
    *In general just the over the top training equipment that they used to have. In the golden age I saw Amazons pulling out weather balloons with rings attached to em for pole vaulting. Gatling guns to train bullets and bracelets with. 'hundred ton baseball bats' for sports equipment. Take superpowers to their logical conclusion with the stuff they use~!
    *The floating embassy which appears to be a small mobile island that can travel the seas.

    Also just to mention this, the wild animals which the Amazons have tamed. Over the years different writers in different continuities have added to this list and its gotten rather impressive.
    *Sky Kangas. Kangaroo which are capable of leaping around the world or from planet to planet if need be.
    *Saddle Rabbits. Apparently the Amazons had them before the Kangaroos, though ive no idea if all Amazons had them or if it was just the younger ones.
    *Boxing kittens. Its been years since I saw this concept in the golden age and I still have questions! Bring them back just to answer my questions!
    *Megaladons. They are giant butt sharks that swim the surrounding sea and nom hostile invaders. Its awesome!
    *The Eagles. And Bombshells gave them eagles the size of jets who also flew the skies around the island. Make it so.

    An aspect of things that im on the fence about though honestly is magic. Now and then writers toy with the idea of establishing the Amazons have one or more individuals who practice magic and ive no idea how I feel about it.
    In pre crisis the Amazons were straight up science in one way or another because one of their patrons was a goddess of science. And in later continuities while a singular Amazon would be established to know magic such as Magala, its never really shown being a consistent thing. But should it be?

    I mean, Aquamans Atlantis is established to have pretty advanced technology on top of their own Atlantean hogwarts for training youths in sorcery, but im not entirely sure if the same would apply to the Amazons and im curious what others think.

  2. #17
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    general Powers:
    - Superhuman strength, speed, durability, and endurance (like Captain America)
    --- can be acquired through ritual/ceremony for new comers
    - Immortality (on the Island only)
    - Ageless
    - Superhuman senses
    This whole list is a good start. 'Amazon' should be like 'Kryptonian', 'New God', or 'Daxamite', a race that comes with inherent superpowers. Diana is first among equals, any blessings she gets from the Greek pantheon are subtle and not the source of her powers, and in the Contest she received no overwhelming advantage.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    This whole list is a good start. 'Amazon' should be like 'Kryptonian', 'New God', or 'Daxamite', a race that comes with inherent superpowers. Diana is first among equals, any blessings she gets from the Greek pantheon are subtle and not the source of her powers, and in the Contest she received no overwhelming advantage.
    I disagree. Amazons should not have any inherent superpowers. Their superhuman abilities should be derived from training, because that means that people from outside of Themyscira can train to obtain them, which fits in better with Wonder Woman's themes

  4. #19
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    DeConnick/Jimenez are checking off a lot of boxes for the Amazons it seems from what's been shared so far from Historia; tribes of Amazons having a power to them that comes from the Goddess that is their patron that all end up being the ones Diana has later (immunity to fire, animal communion, super strength, etc, etc). So I'd definitely do that.

    For the Bana tribe, average one of them would be around Captain America/comic book "peak human" levels. Artemis and whoever the Shim'tar is would use a variety of godly items that makes a relative equal to Diana.

  5. #20
    Incredible Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    790

    Default

    I've never been a fan of "training to get powers" thing. I like my Amazons imbued with it like they are born with maybelline.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I've never been a fan of "training to get powers" thing. I like my Amazons imbued with it like they are born with maybelline.
    LOL! Me too!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]


    "Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,057

    Default

    The Amazons shouldn't be born better. It doesn't fit Wonder Woman's message

  8. #23
    Incredible Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    The Amazons shouldn't be born better. It doesn't fit Wonder Woman's message
    Their entire existence is due to the Gods. They live on an island that was created for them by the Gods. They are immortal because of the Gods. I dont see how it goes against WWs message. Esp when she herself only has her powers because of them.

  9. #24
    The Last Dragon masterwitcher88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    706

    Default

    I definitely want my Amazons superhuman but I also want them to have a long history in "man's world" before they relocate to the Islands. Like how Rucka set up Hippolyta as the 10th Queen of the Amazons, I wanna explore what history was before her. There are at least 9 members of a royal family we don't know anything about outside of general myth/head canon. From the first amazon queen who built Themyscira to the queen during the Amazon/Atlantean war to Hippolyta and Herakles's 9th labor that caused the amazons to leave.

    That's why I put that new amazons could get their powers via ritual/ceremony, I personally want more then just the original 30 or the 3,000ish supposedly on the island. I was thinking the amazon numbers would range in the 11,000 total, with the Bana and South American tribes included in that number.

    I was also thinking that while the amazons are sexually liberated people and are free to consensually play with whomever they want, the royal family are the only amazons allowed to procreate. So we'd be adding the other amazons from myth that were queens in the past to Amazon history. Hence there being more then one queen and Diana gets to explore the added layers of her ancient house.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

  10. #25
    Incredible Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I definitely want my Amazons superhuman but I also want them to have a long history in "man's world" before they relocate to the Islands. Like how Rucka set up Hippolyta as the 10th Queen of the Amazons, I wanna explore what history was before her. There are at least 9 members of a royal family we don't know anything about outside of general myth/head canon. From the first amazon queen who built Themyscira to the queen during the Amazon/Atlantean war to Hippolyta and Herakles's 9th labor that caused the amazons to leave.

    That's why I put that new amazons could get their powers via ritual/ceremony, I personally want more then just the original 30 or the 3,000ish supposedly on the island. I was thinking the amazon numbers would range in the 11,000 total, with the Bana and South American tribes included in that number.

    I was also thinking that while the amazons are sexually liberated people and are free to consensually play with whomever they want, the royal family are the only amazons allowed to procreate. So we'd be adding the other amazons from myth that were queens in the past to Amazon history. Hence there being more then one queen and Diana gets to explore the added layers of her ancient house.
    I love me some good history so I'm all for there being multiple Queens and all that jazz.

  11. #26
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Their entire existence is due to the Gods. They live on an island that was created for them by the Gods. They are immortal because of the Gods. I dont see how it goes against WWs message. Esp when she herself only has her powers because of them.
    Diana's powers Shouldn't be from the gods. The Amazons shouldn't be immortal at all.

    One of Wonder Woman's original core themes was that anyone could be a Wonder Woman. For that to work, her powers need to be something everyone has the potential to have.

    And on a broader scale, the prosperity of Themyscira needs to come from things that can be spread to the wider world.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,393

    Default

    The Amazons are reincarnated with superhuman strength, durability and enhanced speed but they have to train to be able to achieve their full potential.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Diana's powers Shouldn't be from the gods. The Amazons shouldn't be immortal at all.

    One of Wonder Woman's original core themes was that anyone could be a Wonder Woman. For that to work, her powers need to be something everyone has the potential to have.

    And on a broader scale, the prosperity of Themyscira needs to come from things that can be spread to the wider world.
    If you want to change the mythology that broadly, it might be better to make it an original story.

  14. #29
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If you want to change the mythology that broadly, it might be better to make it an original story.
    What I want to do is rerail her mythology. Take a Golden age and make it fit in with modern day sensibilities

  15. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,760

    Default

    My ideas.

    Two sources of Amazon powers are magic and manipulation of life energy. The former is your standard spellcasting while the latter is based on the idea of chi or ki, allowing them enhance their physical stats. The "weakest" an Amazons can be is Midnighter level. Amazons also have some degree of advanced technology and are good with creating mystical weapons.

    Amazon characters and their skills.

    Diana - Life energy manipulation. Uses a sword and the lasso.

    Donna - Life energy manipulation. Uses a staff. She has developed a technique that allows her to imbue her staff with life energy and telekinetically control its movements.

    Nubia - Magic and life energy manipulation. Her magic spells involve creating swords and daggers. She also fights with a sword that transforms into a spear.

    Artemis - Life energy manipulation and magic. Her life energy manipulation focuses on her speed and her magic is also focuses on creating weapons and armor. Specifically, sickles, bows and arrows, rope darts and an axe.

    Akila - Elemental magic focusing on fire, water and light. Also has some skill in engineering and chemistry.

    Euboea - Magic focusing on scrying and manipulating thread. Her skill with thread magic can also be taken to more conceptual levels where she could manipulate fate to a degree.

    Anaya - Life energy manipulation. Uses no weapons.

    Myrina Black - Same as above.

    Philippus - Life energy manipulation. Master swordwoman.

    Hippolyta - Magic (not yet sure what type she'd used).


    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Their entire existence is due to the Gods. They live on an island that was created for them by the Gods. They are immortal because of the Gods. I dont see how it goes against WWs message. Esp when she herself only has her powers because of them.
    In the original comics (which I don't really hold as sacrosanct), that wasn't the case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •