Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Default Question: How Do You Read Your X-Men Comics?

Do you: Read an issue once then "bag and box" it, never to see the light of day?
    Do you: Re-read once in the month of publication until the next issue arrives, then relegate to storage, for all eternity?
    Do you: Don't read at all and just let the stack grow higher and higher until it topples over and crushes you?

I re-re-re-re-re-read my books (not just X-Men) all the time...a year doesn't go by without me revisiting story-arcs and runs from the 80's, 90's and 00's. I just finished re-reading HoX/PoX as a set, for the 3rd time. And I re-read books multiple times during the month of it's publication.

(In my Wendy voice)..."How You Do It?"
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Do you: Read an issue once then "bag and box" it, never to see the light of day?
    Do you: Re-read once in the month of publication until the next issue arrives, then relegate to storage, for all eternity?
    Do you: Don't read at all and just let the stack grow higher and higher until it topples over and crushes you?

I re-re-re-re-re-read my books (not just X-Men) all the time...a year doesn't go by without me revisiting story-arcs and runs from the 80's, 90's and 00's. I just finished re-reading HoX/PoX as a set, for the 3rd time. And I re-read books multiple times during the month of it's publication.

Current x-men comics: I just skim trough it looking at the pictures and for something I may find interesting, I may read a panel or two depending on the forum discussion and If I missed any vital information, 70%-80% of marvel output these days is just useless, directionless and unremarkable clutter.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

That's very interesting and quite unexpected. I would have thought XM-fans read through an issue front to back, at least once.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I buy digitally and then if I liked a story arc and it comes out in hardcover format, I buy the HC and take the dust jacket off and put it in my library. They look better that way.

Mighty Member

I read at 3am Wednesday morning. I’m digital for like the last 9-10 years (the reason I actually bought my first iPad). Then I check here and I may reread the issue again if I feel I missed something. I’ll usually get into a mood where I’ll go back and read old issues of runs I enjoyed (OG Claremont run with Silvestri).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I buy digitally and then if I liked a story arc and it comes out in hardcover format, I buy the HC and take the dust jacket off and put it in my library. They look better that way.
    Do you re-read the digital and/or the HC?

I typically read the digital only once honestly. Sometimes twice if I really liked it, or if I am traveling for work or something and get bored I’ll give an issue a second read on my iPad. But then I read the story all at once in oversized HC format when it comes out. Which I recently did with HoX/PoX and X of Swords when I got those HCs delivered from Walmart online.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

If I really love a book I'll read it once I get home from LCS and reread it a few times during the week before bagging and boxing it. Then I'll usually go back to it regularly throughout the year. This is how I read HoX/PoX but unfortunately X-Men and New Mutants left me rather disappointed. I haven't reread HoX/PoX as set in months, and I haven't reread any of the single issues of the XM or NM since around No 6 or so of each book.

Most of the books I pick up from DC I read once or twice before putting away; I'm also picking up a few indie books and I find I'm rereading those more regularly.

I want to have that piqued interest in the X-Books that I had when HoX/PoX was on fire but I don't feel we've been there even one time since.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I agree, but I also want to take as good care of my books as possible. I pester my friends when they open my hardcovers a full 180 degrees, they hate it
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Extraordinary Member

I typically buy my comics Wednesday afternoons at the shop. I read the X-Men comics (and anything else that gets online discussion) as soon as a I get home. Depending on the discussion, I will either flip through the issues again to check up on stuff or if I have redeemed the codes and the books are bagged already I will reference them on Comixology.

As far as rereading, ideally I would like to reread everything within a week prior of the next issue coming out, to have things fresh in my mind. I would also like to reread new issues at least one other time between the first reread and the reread for the new comic preparation. I have found that hard to keep up with, so I only read new comics once aside from discussion purposes. The comics are bagged and sorted in batches each week.

Having all of the newer Marvel comics with codes has allowed me to binge read current runs from time to time but it is not really a habit. I would like to do more rereading of my older comics, for example I was trying to get through X-Factor Volume 1 again, and I got to somewhere between Fall of the Mutants and Inferno, but I am just too busy.

I read them digitally. Go back to story arcs I have really liked and re-read them. Have read X-Men Red six or seven times by now.

As a nerd, and a completist, I have to read everything in a book, even the data pages. In my opinion, the data pages only worked in the first issues, but I still force myself to read them, even though I think they often stop the pacing of the story, just because they are a part of the book.

I buy TPs (dawn of X) and I like to reread them regularly, especially when I get a new one.
    We don't have the bagging custom here so they sit on the shelves until I want to reread them

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    I read them digitally. Go back to story arcs I have really liked and re-read them. Have read X-Men Red six or seven times by now.

As a nerd, and a completist, I have to read everything in a book, even the data pages. In my opinion, the data pages only worked in the first issues, but I still force myself to read them, even though I think they often stop the pacing of the story, just because they are a part of the book.
    I like the data pages and used to feel that way in the earlies when I read them sequentially to the story...but for quite a while now, I've been reading them after I've finished the first read and skip them entirely by the third re-read.

This. I don't have the space to keep many physical copies.

I'll re-read specific issues or story arcs I found interesting if I want clarification on something or when the mood strikes me, but it's not really anything scheduled or that I do any organized fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    This. I don't have the space to keep many physical copies.

I'll re-read specific issues or story arcs I found interesting if I want clarification on something or when the mood strikes me, but it's not really anything scheduled or that I do any organized fashion.
    Likewise. I just went digital a few months ago. I'm moving in the fall and have enough stuff to pack. I plan on buying collected editions of anything a really love, but so far nothing has caught my attention that strongly. Vita Ayala's New Mutants might be good enough, though. We shall see.