Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Stargirl Spring Break Special #1 (one-shot) preview / discussion thread

Just so we can have a thread for this when it finally comes out . .

Spend Spring Break With Stargirl and the Seven Soldiers of Victory!
    By DC Publicity Wednesday, February 10th, 2021

Stargirl Spring Break Special #1 – Geoff Johns and Todd Nauck Take DC’s Cosmic Staff-Wielding Super Hero on a Spring Break Adventure With the Seven Soldiers of Victory!

After months and months of fighting crime and handling universe-threatening enemies, even superheroes need a springtime vacation. But thanks to award-winning writer Geoff Johns and artist Todd Nauck, there’s no Cancun, Miami, or South Padre Island on Stargirl’s itinerary in this 48-page one shot, on sale May 4!

Courtney Whitmore’s spring break plans aren’t like your average high schooler’s. Instead of hanging out with friends, she’s heading out on an adventure with her stepfather, Pat Dugan, a.k.a. S.T.R.I.P.E., and teaming up with his former team, the Seven Soldiers of Victory! The soldiers are forced to reunite again to unearth the secret eighth soldier of victory, but what other secrets lay buried, and what does it all mean for Courtney’s future as Stargirl?

Anybody can hang out at the beach and party, but for fans of Stargirl, Golden Age superheroes and fast-paced fun and adventure, the Stargirl Spring Break Special is a must-read! The book arrives at comic book stores and participating digital retailers on May 4 for $5.99. The physical version also features a card stock variant cover by Mike McKone for $6.99.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...ers-of-victory

I have no idea of how this fits in with the past retcons of the Seven Soldiers of Victory from post-CoIE through the more recent Death Metal-stuff, but we'll soon see.

Currently, it's suppose to be released on May 25th (unless they've bumped it out further again . . .

Extraordinary Member

The show got pushed back to august along with Titans
    so I wonder if this might follow suit

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    The show got pushed back to august along with Titans
    so I wonder if this might follow suit
    Y'mean a Geoff Johns-written book getting delayed and it's NOT because of Geoff Johns?

If it does get moved from a May release, they're going to have to re-name the book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Y'mean a Geoff Johns-written book getting delayed and it's NOT because of Geoff Johns?

If it does get moved from a May release, they're going to have to re-name the book.
    Its his chracters so.......
    he also writes for the tv show
    he writes for Titans too

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Yeah, but Summer Special has a nice ring to it. A lot of British comics used to do those.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Preview is out. Court's in detention and there's a major Green Arrow retcon.
    https://aiptcomics.com/2021/05/21/dc...eak-special-1/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So is this confirmation that characters don't actually remember all of the reboots after Infinite Frontier? We just have to assume everything happened in a way similar to older stories and occasionally there'll be a convoluted explanation as to how everything fits together?
    Which is weird considering Johns went out of his way to explain Golden Age Green Arrow while seemingly ignoring Stargirl's long tenure with the JSA. I see no mention of the team and it seems like this title could pick up right after the end of the original Stargirl series.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So is this confirmation that characters don't actually remember all of the reboots after Infinite Frontier? We just have to assume everything happened in a way similar to older stories and occasionally there'll be a convoluted explanation as to how everything fits together?
    Which is weird considering Johns went out of his way to explain Golden Age Green Arrow while seemingly ignoring Stargirl's long tenure with the JSA. I see no mention of the team and it seems like this title could pick up right after the end of the original Stargirl series.
    They mentioned her being a JSA member back in Infinite Frontier #0 segment with her.

Didn't think they'd actually explain away Golden Age Green Arrow, but it's nice to see Ollie and Emiko together.

Didn't see it coming but I liked the explanation of Golden Age Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Didn't see it coming but I liked the explanation of Golden Age Green Arrow.
    I gotta say, I do too. It’s an easy comic book-y way to explain a character appearing in the present day and in the 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I gotta say, I do too. It’s an easy comic book-y way to explain a character appearing in the present day and in the 40s.
    Exactly. It's something simple, especially coming from DC who besides being the experts of shoving Batman down our throats are the experts of throwing complicated and over elaborated retcons.

Astonishing Member

I know it’s due to the show and all, but swapping Ystin back out for Justin seems... unnecessary?

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I know it’s due to the show and all, but swapping Ystin back out for Justin seems... unnecessary?
    Justin was also living in the present in the comics, so then it was the obvious choice.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah now im kinda surprised they haven't done something like this with Superman, so he could be the Present day Superman AND the Hero who inspired the Golden Age of Heroes in the first place.