Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

Default The Northman (and other Robert Eggers movies)

TNMRE.jpg

The Witch ✅

The Lighthouse ✅

The Northman ?

can this man go 3 for 3 top tier films? i think so. he is reuniting with several of his previously-used actors

also Katie Dickie who killed it in The Witch is returning.

The Mountain from game of thrones will also be in it, which gives a little pause given his kind of 'meh' acting, but with Eggers' attention to detail/realistic stuff I'm sure they'll put his size to use. Or perhaps his acting isn't as bad in his native tongue

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think he can. Both the Witch and the Lighthouse were great, and he's at the top of my list for new directors whose work I'm keeping tabs of (along witj Ari Aster and Rose Glass). I hope that remake of Nosferatu that he was going to make is still happening.

I have faith he'll go three for three. The Witch is probably the best horror film I've seen in about 15 years.

I thought The Lighthouse was brilliant but my ability to appreciate it on a second viewing was overshadowed by giggles over Willem Dafoe's character ramblin' about his lobster. Movie was one of the gayest things I've ever seen, and I don't mean that pejoratively.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I have faith he'll go three for three. The Witch is probably the best horror film I've seen in about 15 years.

I thought The Lighthouse was brilliant but my ability to appreciate it on a second viewing was overshadowed by giggles over Willem Dafoe's character ramblin' about his lobster. Movie was one of the gayest things I've ever seen, and I don't mean that pejoratively.
    I was giggling even during the first viewing.

Did not expect that movie to be as successfully funny as it was.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Lighthouse was too weird for me and I have no idea what happened at the end but I loved the VVitch and am looking forward to Northman as long as there won't be any Mermaids. If you guys like depressing Viking tales while waiting for this movie check out Vertigo's Northlanders by Brian Wood.

Ultimate Member

I haaaaated The Witch but I loved the Lighthouse.

I'm looking forward to this.

BANNED

I didn't like THE LIGHTHOUSE as much as THE WITCH but it was still an intense and unforgettable film.

But I am a big fan of anything to do with the Vikings, and I love this cast.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This guy can do no wrong in my eyes so I'm in.

I’ve noticed there’s no new thread for this, but maybe this can give it a bump.

Saw it the other night - fantastic movie. Absolutely brilliant imo. I liked it more than The Witch, but The Lighthouse still reigns supreme for me.

All the acting was superb, I don’t usually like Nicole Kidman but I thought she was great here

Trailers really deliberately miss-sold this film as something akin to Gladiator/Braveheart and I think that actually damaged it in the long run. It’s an Eggers film so you know it would never be that straight forward

I’d love to have seen what he would have done in-hindered by the studio process, but I hope one day he can get to a Tarantino/Nolan level where studios just let him push through with whatever he wants

I hope people go watch this film, but I don’t think its target demographic are all that willing to go back to cinemas just yet. Unfortunate.

i am waiting for the streaming release, and yeah i thought it was going to be more 'straight forward' than his other movies from the trailers

but overall hearing good things as well, still hyped for it

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I’ve noticed there’s no new thread for this, but maybe this can give it a bump.

Saw it the other night - fantastic movie. Absolutely brilliant imo. I liked it more than The Witch, but The Lighthouse still reigns supreme for me.

All the acting was superb, I don’t usually like Nicole Kidman but I thought she was great here

Trailers really deliberately miss-sold this film as something akin to Gladiator/Braveheart and I think that actually damaged it in the long run. It’s an Eggers film so you know it would never be that straight forward

I’d love to have seen what he would have done in-hindered by the studio process, but I hope one day he can get to a Tarantino/Nolan level where studios just let him push through with whatever he wants

I hope people go watch this film, but I don’t think its target demographic are all that willing to go back to cinemas just yet. Unfortunate.
    What kind of film was it then?

Trailer did give it an epic Norse vibe.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    What kind of film was it then?

Trailer did give it an epic Norse vibe.
    It’s a lot more intimate, and a lot weirder than any marketing I saw, though definitely Eggers’ most accessible film.

There’s a lot of psychedelic imagery to do with visions/prophecy/lineage, and parts that you might come out of not knowing if they were real or not in the context of the story.

It also doesn’t hold your hand through Norse myth/lore - I was glad I spent a lot of my teenage years reading Thor comics for this reason haha

it’s not like army vs army or even clan vs clan. Don’t expect big Hollywood set pieces or over the top villains, or even a protagonist that is clearly in the right. It makes no concessions about how life was back then, with my friend even coming out of the cinema just saying he’s glad he was born now haha.

Most of the movie takes place on one plot of land even.

I hope that doesn’t turn you off the film, because I personally thought it better than the marketing suggested, but it definitely didn’t feel like an epic to me, very much a small scale story about revenge

Saw this on Friday night with friends. Loved it much like I have loved all of his movies. Don't think this was quite as good as the Lighthouse, but better than the Witch (that was still a helluva debut though).

Soundtrack kicked ass. My favorite bits being during the first village raid, the Valkyrie sequence and the final fight

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I love Eggers, both personally (the dude is very genuinely weird) and as a film auteur.

I think it will be difficult for me to love an Eggers film more than The Witch, due to my preferences for old school gothic/satanic horror, but I'm super interested in anything he does.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-26-2022 at 12:51 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”