Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default New words or terms you learned from a tv show or film

What are some new definitions, words, terms, or even slang that you learned from watching a tv show or film.

One of the first things that came to my mind was 'service porch' from The Brady Bunch. We always called it our laundry room. I had never heard of service porch.

I don't remember any specific series name, but I've heard "driveway" referred to as "carport" more than once on TV/movies.

BANNED

Yada yada.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

cromulent

embiggen

Extraordinary Member

Lanai from The Golden Girls. We always called it a patio. We didn't have one, but those who did, it was called a patio.

There's a funny scene in one episode where Sophia asks 'what's a lanai?'. Dorothy responds that it's the porch. Sophia says 'Well, excuse me, Krystal Carrington.'

Google it

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Porch monkey. When I watched Clerks 2 I had no idea what it meant so the jokes around it fell flat to me. It wasn't until Wanda Sykes character showed up that I managed to piece together what it meant.

Shwarma - until Avengers I had never heard of it. Love me a Gyro but has never heard of shawarma.

Quid Pro quo. I had to ask a family member what it meant after watching Silence of the Lambs as a kid. I then pronounced it Quick Pro quo for years

Confidence man/Grifter as terms for con men from leverage. Also Filmflam man from Double Toasted but that's neither here nor there.

While not a word or term. Blades one liner at the end of Blade was wild to me. Never heard anyone say that before that film. Now I say it whenever it applies lol.

BANNED

Homer Simpson's catchphrase Doh

Friends :''we were on a break''

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Shwarma - until Avengers I had never heard of it. Love me a Gyro but has never heard of shawarma.

Quid Pro quo. I had to ask a family member what it meant after watching Silence of the Lambs as a kid. I then pronounced it Quick Pro quo for years

Confidence man/Grifter as terms for con men from leverage. Also Filmflam man from Double Toasted but that's neither here nor there.

While not a word or term. Blades one liner at the end of Blade was wild to me. Never heard anyone say that before that film. Now I say it whenever it applies lol.
    Funny enough, Wesley Snipes used to say that a lot in real life on set, and they found a way to work it into the movie.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, Wesley Snipes used to say that a lot in real life on set, and they found a way to work it into the movie.
    I believe it. That doesn't seem like something a person would just happen to write.

I can't remember the name of the movie bit there was some horrible low budget movie in the 1990s that introduced the word "specist" as in bigoted based on species. I've heard it a few times since.

The original Battlestar Galactica was great at making up alternate words, "Yarns" for years, "centons" for centuries and, of course, "Oh, Frak" for, um, something.

If we count books, Mark Twain was well known for making up words.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Yada yada.
    Yeah, Seinfeld was the first time I ever heard someone use the term "yada yada yada"

Also "Not that there is anything wrong with that" in reference to someone being Gay.

Extraordinary Member

"Sit on it" from Happy Days. We had never heard that phrase before.

I remember my Grandma asking "Sit on what??? What are they talking about?"

"Mother Puss-bucket!"

-Ghostbusters