BANNED

Default Continuity: What Did Star Wars Get Right?

Lots and lots of examples of continuity errors in Star Wars. What did the movies get right that people have complained about?

"I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born."

Which is something they totally got right, but people want to time it down to the second.

iMan 42s

In Return of the Jedi he (Palpatine) was just meant to be a really old evil wizard which is why the then much younger Ian McDiramid looked the way he did, it's just sci-fi old person make up. Episode 3 revealed he was electrocuted which melted his face and despite this people to this day insist that dark side corruption is a thing. The films never said he was old or at least gave an exact date before it was revealed to be a deformity and the deformity would be inserted into Episode 5 meaning that this appearance is meant to be what was shown in 6. This would however inform his old age makeup for Episode 9 which made people think someone melted him once he was rejuvenated but was once again meant to be old person makeup which is ironic given Ian actually is old enough to properly portray him without it. Palpatine's makeup basically circled around to both explanations weirdly enough.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I think at one point Lucas considered Palpatine to have 'naturally' aged into the ROTJ form-if you look at Palpatine's AOTC look, he actually looks somewhat more pale and older than he does in Revenge of the Sith's first act.

Maybe Palpatine went to the Star Wars equavilent of this during the Clone Wars. https://backtothefuture.fandom.com/w...enation_clinic
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-16-2021 at 06:35 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Funny enough, I just watched ESB. Some people feel the Vader/Luke scene "No, Luke, I am your father" felt way out of left field but to my surprise it actually wasn't. The Palpatine/Vader scene before where Palpatine name drops Anakin's name and tells Vader to search his feelings helps lead into that reveal later. I thought that little scene was really well done. You could see the humanity of Anakin peaking through a little when telling Palpatine he can turn Luke to the dark side.

Anakin's name and the search your feelings line does not appear in the pre-2004 versions.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anakin's name and the search your feelings line does not appear in the pre-2004 versions.
    Really, that's interesting. I knew that GL likes to tinker with the movies, so makes sense that was something that was added in. In this case, I feel that addition makes more sense than it does leaving it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Really, that's interesting. I knew that GL likes to tinker with the movies, so makes sense that was something that was added in. In this case, I feel that addition makes more sense than it does leaving it out.
    2004 and the Blu-Ray re-re-re(etc) release had a lot of focus on continuity between the prequels and OT in terms of visuals and audio.

The later fixing the music track reversal!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Funny enough, I just watched ESB. Some people feel the Vader/Luke scene "No, Luke, I am your father" felt way out of left field but to my surprise it actually wasn't. The Palpatine/Vader scene before where Palpatine name drops Anakin's name and tells Vader to search his feelings helps lead into that reveal later. I thought that little scene was really well done. You could see the humanity of Anakin peaking through a little when telling Palpatine he can turn Luke to the dark side.
    I would argue that Uncle Owen's statement of "That's what I'm afraid of" showed much earlier where the story was going.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I would argue that Uncle Owen's statement of "That's what I'm afraid of" showed much earlier where the story was going.
    I assumed that was based on when Anakin had still been "killed" by Vader

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I assumed that was based on when Anakin had still been "killed" by Vader
    Interesting. I always assumed it was because Luke had a relationship with Vader.

The way Obi-Wan tells it, it seems that Anakin & Owen had some kind of family disagreement about Anakin getting involved in the wars/joining the Jedi.

Of course in AOTC the two hardly interacted at all.