Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Ah, categorisation and typology…

If we are to take Captain America: the First Avenger versus Man of Steel, Captain America wins hands down.

But if we are to compare Donner's 1978 Superman with Captain America, then the question gets much trickier, especially so since they are made in highly different times, even before we take the differences in the technical aspects of filmmaking.
    We can even go back to the 1944 Republic Pictures live-action serial movie of Captain America and compare that to the 1948 Columbia Pictures live-action serial of Superman. (I don't think it would be fair to use the earlier animated Superman films from Fleischer Studios for comparison.)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    We can even go back to the 1944 Republic Pictures live-action serial movie of Captain America and compare that to the 1948 Columbia Pictures live-action serial of Superman. (I don't think it would be fair to use the earlier animated Superman films from Fleischer Studios for comparison.)
    Yikes! I don't think anybody wants to do that...
    Image.jpg

Interestingly (to me anyway), Cap's comic used that serial in a plot...

Image.jpg
    ...right about the time another guy was getting some new screen time...
    Image.jpg

I'm sure it's nothing, but those kind of coincidences always interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Quibbles aside, I say that Superman is the first actual comic book super-hero as such. Captain America isn't even the first patriotic super-hero--I believe that's the Shield. So when it comes to being original, I'd say that Superman has the other super-heroes beat. The other super-heroes were quite clearly trying to copy Superman's success--but trying to do so while steering clear of Superman's lawyers.
    No that honour goes to Japan's Golden Bat

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I have to go with SM.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 06-24-2021 at 12:28 AM.