Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC will probably do a JSA book around the time the Black Adam movie comes out. Since Justice League is currently a dead film property, WB will probably lean heavily into the JSA. So we could see a book in Spring of 2022.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    That’s another year and there is no guarantee.
    My estimation is a little better based of IF's solicits. There's two issues scheduled for July and it's a six issue miniseries. So if they put out two more issues in August and one in September, and they launch the spin-offs of Infinite Frontier quickly, we could have a JSA title sometime in between September to December of this year. My most likely best guess would be October in that case. I wonder if DC realized their slow burn approach with Infinite Frontier was maybe a little too slow which is why we're seeing them switching to double shipping to speed things up?

Infinite Frontier #2
    story by Joshua Williamson
    art by Xermanico
    cover by Mitch Gerads
    ON SALE : 7/13/21
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES | FC | DC
    2 of 6
    variant cover by Bryan Hitch
    US $5.99 (card stock)

What secrets and changes lurk inside the newly expanded Multiverse? The devious Director Bones of the D.E.O. re-forms a ragtag team to keep the new worlds at bay, but was highly skilled agent Cameron Chase recruited because the director needs her help, or because he wants a patsy when things go south? Meanwhile, Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern, takes drastic measures to find his missing daughter. Someone has kidnapped Jade, and Alan’s going to find out why and bring her home. Plus, the resurrection of Roy Harper gives the former Teen Titan some unexpected and unpredictable new powers.
    Infinite Frontier #3
    story by Joshua Williamson
    art by Xermanico
    cover by Mitch Gerads
    ON SALE : 7/27/21
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES | FC | DC
    3 of 6
    variant cover by Bryan Hitch
    US $5.99 (card stock)

Barry Allen’s history with the Psycho-Pirate isn’t pleasant.
    The Flash encountered this mind-bending villain all the way back in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, and it did not end well for the Scarlet Speedster. For the first time since his death and rebirth, Barry runs afoul of this foe—hopefully it will go better this time around! That is, if the even bigger villain behind the Pirate stays out of the fray, or if President Superman of Justice Incarnate sticks around to help win the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I'd disagree about Earth 2 being good at the start, as I'd say it wasn't anything like the JSA that I, or most other JSA fans knew and wanted. It may have been a decent Elseworld idea, but as a what was meant as replacement for the real JSA I think it was wrong from a conceptual place. While I can kind of see the logic in thinking the JSA should be moved to their own earth, combining that with completely rebooting and modernizing them was a wrong headed move feel that was always doomed to failure. The main argument I can see for putting them on their own earth would just to be put them on their own timescale where it's perpetually the 70's-80's and WWII occurred 30-40 years ago, maintaining their link to WWII as well as all their legacies. Instead what we got in the New 52 was a wrong headed reboot of the JSA with a few scattered former legacy characters being rebooted divorced of their legacies on the main earth.

Certainly wasn't the traditional JSA, but if it stuck to its initial premise, slowly forming the Society, then reverted to what we knew and loved when the New52 died, I'd have been fine with it. YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC will probably do a JSA book around the time the Black Adam movie comes out. Since Justice League is currently a dead film property, WB will probably lean heavily into the JSA. So we could see a book in Spring of 2022.
    By the way, I may have a bridge I'd be willing to sell you at a bargain price.

Honestly, if DC hasn't brought back the Justice Society in their own title by now, I question how automatic it would be just because some of them will be in a Black Adam movie.

I think DC is smart enough to know by now that a movie won't automatically bring new comic book buyers into stores in search of JSA comic books. And if DC thinks that might happen, how likely would a new JSA comic book be based more on what was in the movie vs. what's been the history of the group for the past eighty years?

Have there even been legitimate semi-official rumors that DC is planning a new JSA comic book to tie in to the Black Adam movie?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Honestly, if DC hasn't brought back the Justice Society in their own title by now, I question how automatic it would be just because some of them will be in a Black Adam movie.

I think DC is smart enough to know by now that a movie won't automatically bring new comic book buyers into stores in search of JSA comic books. And if DC thinks that might happen, how likely would a new JSA comic book be based more on what was in the movie vs. what's been the history of the group for the past eighty years?

Have there even been legitimate semi-official rumors that DC is planning a new JSA comic book to tie in to the Black Adam movie?
    Well if it’s the Brooklyn Bridge I’ve already bought it. Twice.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Certainly wasn't the traditional JSA, but if it stuck to its initial premise, slowly forming the Society, then reverted to what we knew and loved when the New52 died, I'd have been fine with it. YMMV, of course.
    I don't think that would've ever happened. I don't see any way they could have realistically retooled Earth the New 52 Earth 2 to resemble what people knew and loved. It was too foundationally different. And if we're talking talking about cosmically bulldozing it so it could be replaced with an Earth 2 that was more to existing JSA fans tastes (for me it would basically have constituted of back importing all the Post-crisis/pre-flashpoint history and legacy characters back to a recreated Pre-crisis Earth 2) you can ask why bother with the Elseworld modernized JSA at all when they could have published that at the beginning of the New 52 instead. Not to mention they probably wouldn't have considered either hard rebooting Earth 2 or bringing the real JSA back into the main continuity had the New 52 Earth version managed to somehow be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    So what do you all think?
    Are DC reluctant to publish a JSA because they don't think the market's there?
    Are DC having trouble trying to figure where the JSA now fits within the DCU post (ugh) Metal?
    Or do DC genuinely dislike the franchise and are happy to leave it in mothballs?

I believe it's probably a mix of both options A and B - and until a creator comes along with the clout and the pitch (ala Johns) the JSA are doomed to remain in publishing limbo.
    They definitely aren’t confused about what to do with them because they’ve already begun doing it. Plus, they’re leaning into JSA history, rather than away from it as DC did for the last 10 years. So they aren’t just coming back, they’re coming back with their history intact.

We already know Alan Scott’s going looking for missing members and if he’s looking for them he’s going to find them. I totally get the frustration over how long it’s taken, but the folks that kept them away for 10 years are gone and new management has already solicited stories involving them. Their future looks pretty darn bright to me.

Incredible Member

Are DC having trouble trying to figure where the JSA now fits within the DCU post (ugh) Metal?
    Or do DC genuinely dislike the franchise and are happy to leave it in mothballs?

I believe it's probably a mix of both options A and B - and until a creator comes along with the clout and the pitch (ala Johns) the JSA are doomed to remain in publishing limbo.
    Up until last year, it's been C.

They got rid of them with COIE, Mike Carlin cancelled their 90s book because he didn't want older heroes making them look uncool, and then they straight up killed most of them off in Zero Hour. Some higher ups were probably cursing under their breath when Robinson/Goyer/Johns added younger heroes to the 1999 relaunch because they couldn't use "old=uncool" as an excuse to cancel the book and then Johns became one of DC's biggest writers and kept writing the book until 2008/2009. IIRC Didio straight up called the JSA a retired concept in the beginning of the new 52. Though looking back it's pretty clear a lot of new 52 was attempting to be movie/adaptation bait so it may be he wanted to start fresh on the 1940s JSA members instead of having a team with tons of legacies/children that would need explaining.

The past year or so have been too hectic on DC with a lot of stuff being out of their control so I think mostly A with a dash of B for now. Though had DC/Didio not wiped the JSA out of existence for 10 years they probably wouldn't even NEED to go through all the hoops trying to catch people up on the characters or try to entice people to read a JSA book. ffs the team supported two books for like 8 years before DC got rid of them.
    Last edited by M L A; 05-17-2021 at 12:27 AM.

Option C obviously. They had tons of chances to bring them back and they didn't.

I think that we will see first Donald Trump admitting that there wasn't fraud in the elections or Ray Fisher stopping to use twitter every five seconds to trhwo crap at Warner before seeing DC making a JSA book.

The only hope we have to see them again is outside of comics like the Stargirl tv show and the Black Adam movie.
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 05-17-2021 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Stargirl was a niche streaming show for a site that was super obscure, Black Adam is a big budget movie with The Rock.
    It might have been intended to be a streaming show, but in the end, no it wasn't. Stargirl aired on the CW. They showed it, then DC Universe uploaded episodes the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    That's because unlike the comics, the JSA got a better treatment in other media. They arent reduced to teases nor empty cameos with fake promises of return, which is what has been happening in the comics since Rebirth.
    You mean an animated movie that omitted Alan Scott and Wildcat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    10 YEARS? That is inexcusable. That tells me DC does not want a JSA book. Why don’t they let fans pitch ideas and then we vote on it. Not Instagram or Twitter crap either. How many votes from fans who never read a comic book in their life did that garnish? Then pitch us writers and we’ll vote on that too. The suits can still collect their bonuses for the fans work and we finally get a book and everyone is happy. I want two actually. They need to make up for this ridiculous 10 year hiatus.
    Agreed. One for the elders (led by Alan Scott) and one for the kids (led by Stargirl).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It might have been intended to be a streaming show, but in the end, no it wasn't. Stargirl aired on the CW. They showed it, then DC Universe uploaded episodes the next day.
    That doesn't matter. It may have wound up on the CW, but originally it was intended mostly for a niche streaming service. You can't make plans for what will happen, just what you think might happen. There's not enough time to plan a book for a CW show if you're told only that it was a DC Universe show.

And even more to the point, a CW show is still not important when compared to a blockbuster movie.

Amazing Member

Agreed. One for the elders (led by Alan Scott) and one for the kids (led by Stargirl).
    Brainwave Jr. on the elders team please, because at this point his dynamic with Alan is way more interesting than his one with the twins.
    But also on topic for the thread. I'm more hopeful now that Didio's gone, but I'm still not hopeful. They'll probably add unnecessary members (read: Batkids), and they'll replace characters I want around.

I think DC has always been nervous about a JSA book. When the JSA got their own strip again in a revamped All-Star Comics, they got secondary billing to a "Super Squad".

Roy Thomas got his chance with Infinity, Inc. which was a book about the JSA's kids. It took a while for the JSA to get enough clout and show that they could sell enough for a book called "Justice Society of America". Flashpoint and nu52 erased the JSA from existence and even when a Earth 2 book was started, it featured a youthful team of heroes who were basically counterparts to any JSA we'd ever read about.

The JSA had a nice run with at times two monthlies. Even when the nu52 was going on, both Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest were published.It seems they feel the concept can sell and has sold. They just seem very nervous about older heroes. And there's nothing more I can add to this that hasn't been covered in dozens, if not hundreds of JSA/Earth Two/2 threads. Except that I am pretty confident writers have made pitches and it's even possible DC's looked for a creative team as well.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

That's the bit I hate. Introducing a few JSA members in the BA movie is fine, but I fear that any sequel about the JSA would actually be about Dwayne Johnson and possibly the Shazam family, rather than much to do with even that limited JSA roster, (one that makes little sense from the comic book history).

Extraordinary Member

You mean an animated movie that omitted Alan Scott and Wildcat?

I don't think Stargirl works that way in the comics. She's up and coming as an experienced hero, but she's not there yet, which is part of her charm IMO. Also, the book that tried in a way to do that just didn't really click for whatever reason, (JSA All-Stars, which had a much better choice for leading that team.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I don't think Stargirl works that way in the comics. She's up and coming as an experienced hero, but she's not there yet, which is part of her charm IMO. Also, the book that tried in a way to do that just didn't really click for whatever reason, (JSA All-Stars, which had a much better choice for leading that team.
    Also we might call a lot of the second generation "kids" but most of them are adults in their twenties by this point. Courtney is 16, and has whatever afflicts Tim Drake so she'll probably always be 16. It doesn't make sense that the others, who are more experienced, would follow her.
    Jade or Lyta would probably make more sense in that role.