Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    It's clear that DC doesn't care by allowing Geoff Johns to hold an entire property hostage.
    Is there any proof that Johns is specifically responsible for holding them back?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Perhaps no-one has come up with a better pitch than Geoff's. Better to get the book right than just to release it to check off a box.
    Johns isn't the be-all end all of the JSA. Even the 1999 JSA series was launched by David S Goyer and James Robinson off the back of Robinson's Starman run. JSA Classified had a rotating creative team and some of them wrote great JSA stories. There was also Matt Wagner's Sandman Mystery Theatre.

There was also Mike Parobeck and Len Strazewski's sadly short lived JSA series from the early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Each month I get more and more discouraged as new solicits come out. More and more and more Batbooks and no sign of the title I really want to read: JSA.
    You'd think with the Stargirl TV series doing well and featuring the JSA legacy characters, now would be the time to jump on it. But nope.

I've been waiting since 2010 for a legit JSA series (Earth 2 doesn't count IMO)...and here we still are. Again, more batbooks (that I'm not buying) which is really just driving me away from my 30 year habit.
    I'm about ready to give up at this point.
    I think it has to do with the slow calculated roll out of the title. I don't want them to rush a JSA book without a plan first. They should figure out what they want to do with the property first.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    The thing I don't get is why aren't they at least doing oneshots or minis and stuff for certain characters?
    I'm guessing DC's current state means that they feel it's not safe to experiment. Nearly every creator from Jeremy Adams to Geoffry Thorne has talked about how important sales are and how they're the determining factor. We are at a point where we can't even get a second Flash book.

I agree that the key to bringing the JSA back would be to start small and to build up to a new team instead. Personally I think they should do something with Obsidian and Jade, they seem to be built to appeal to today's audience and Alan being a gay man has given him new relevance amongst modern audiences. Use them as a springboard a new JSA team.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    . . . I think it has to do with the slow calculated roll out of the title. I don't want them to rush a JSA book without a plan first. They should figure out what they want to do with the property first.
    But DC is overdoing any "slow calculated roll out" for a JSA book. Hell, I've seen dead grass grow faster than this.

And remember back a few years ago, probably around 2016 or 2017, when DC was supposedly going to launch a new JSA series?
    The Original Justice Society of America Set To Return In Their Own Book!
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...heir-Own-Book!

That was about five years ago.

I consider everything after Infinite Frontier to be a new era and everything prior to that as Dan Didio's era.

It's a new management now so I'm willing to give them time to show what they have got.

I consider everything after Infinite Frontier to be a new era and everything prior to that as Dan Didio's era.

It's a new management now so I'm willing to give them time to show what they have got.
    DiDio has been out for, what, a-year-and-a-half-plus now?

Hell, we're talking about how long it takes before elephants give birth at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Hell, we're talking about how long it takes before elephants give birth at this point.
    To be fair, it's been a most unusual year and a half. But still, there has been no change on management's part regarding the JSA.

Now, if DC's supposed plan to have "Crisis" events running over the next couple of years ending in one big one in 2023(?), I'd guess that would be the time DC comes back with a JSA book. But the last few years or so have been more of the same JSA free comics since the "Rebirth" special.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Thank you. Finally a voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Thank you. Finally a voice of reason.
    Well, your "voice of reason" from back in May was a bit . . . premature:
    Pretty hilarious how this thread went silent as soon as the many doubters were proven wrong. I don’t mind saying I told you so because I’m sure everyone here is happy to have the JSA back.

(Any second now majorhoy will show up to complain that it’s not the ‘real’ JSA.)

We're still waiting . . .

While Infinite Frontier was a game-changer, these game-changing stories have been happening with amazing regularity recently. A line could be drawn before and after Didio's finish, but as far as continuity settling down and the JSA's role being at least defined if not regularly published hasn't really changed.

That's a positive view. With the focus of the big two being more on universal stories and how each franchise fits into that story as opposed to many franchises being the focus and an occasional universal arc covering them, the overall editorial direction is of tantamount importance.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

Continuity has already been settled down here and there and will settle more.

Well, your "voice of reason" from back in May was a bit . . . premature:
    We're still waiting . . .
    Bryan Hitch wouldn't have said that drawing a JSA project didn't work out for him time-wise if there wasn't a JSA project offered to him. But having their own book is not the only way for them to be back. They are back in continuity and several of them have already been featured, especially in Infinite Frontier.

I was responding to a post that said the new administration had only had a short time to bring them back in a more prominent way. That is a voice of reason compared to your constant complaint that DC dislikes the JSA as proven by 6-7 years of not bringing them back.

I don't know if Johns is the reason for anything but I do know that Didio didn't care for the JSA and the new folks at DC do.

If it weren't for your constant pinning of Didio's regime on the current one, I wouldn't have responded as I did. But more is coming.

Then again, we all know by now that no JSA anything will be 'the real JSA' to you. You didn't even believe The Huntress was The Huntress, even in full, classic regalia.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the current power that be at DC either actively hate the JSA and most of their characters, or really care about them at all, much less understand any of them.

. . . I don't know if Johns is the reason for anything but I do know that Didio didn't care for the JSA and the new folks at DC do.
    But if the "new folks" at DC do care about the JSA, why aren't we really seeing any sign of it yet? Why aren't we hearing anything about what their status is (other than when Hitch says he won't be working on a project, which I believe came from Hitch and not from DC)?

Yes, certain members have made appearances in other stories, but is that because the "new folks" "care about the JSA", or is that just because certain writers do and nobody has said "you can't do that" (at least not yet)?

For all we know, those in charge at DC these days may not care either way about the JSA.
    Maybe it will all depend on how hard any writers / artists push for the JSA.

Well....the JSA is not a pregnant elephant. So it's hard to tell when it's going to happen. I suspect it's easier to just go business as usual with Nightwing, Flash and even Wonder Woman than it is to with the JSA. What makes the JSA different from other franchises is that these are much older characters and requires a certain degree of knowledge, love and respect for DC history while also willing to be bold and take the franchise in a new directions. The franchise can't survive unless they pick up newer readers either. We had those guys in the form of Geoff Johns, James Robinson and Grant Morrison but they are a spent force at this point and the franchise needs new blood in order to survive.

But if the "new folks" at DC do care about the JSA, why aren't we really seeing any sign of it yet? Why aren't we hearing anything about what their status is (other than when Hitch says he won't be working on a project, which I believe came from Hitch and not from DC)?

Yes, certain members have made appearances in other stories, but is that because the "new folks" "care about the JSA", or is that just because certain writers do and nobody has said "you can't do that" (at least not yet)?

For all we know, those in charge at DC these days may not care either way about the JSA.
    Maybe it will all depend on how hard any writers / artists push for the JSA.
    You really are a challenge. I stand by what I said and I'm getting out now. You are quicksand.

You really are a challenge. I stand by what I said and I'm getting out now. You are quicksand.
    No, "quicksand" these days seems to be holding out hope for a JSA series to be announced in the monthly solicitations.

Maybe that will change soon, but at present it is what it is . . .