Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Hitch had said something alone the lines that he was working on the book but couldn't get past the finish-line. That leads me to believe that DC is searching for another artist for this book and will announce it after the new artist has several issues completed so that there aren't any delays.
    That would be a good thing. It may be somewhat on the hopeful side, but we've been grasping at anything waiting for a return.

Thinking about it, if DC actually decides to publish this Degaton vs. JSA story, I'm getting a feeling that it may be a limited series as opposed to the first arc in an ongoing series. Would people (we JSA fans, anyway) be satisfied with multiple future limited series as opposed to an ongoing? Myself, I think it would harken back to the Golden Age and an issue of All-Star being a big long JSA adventure.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Hitch had said something alone the lines that he was working on the book but couldn't get past the finish-line. That leads me to believe that DC is searching for another artist for this book and will announce it after the new artist has several issues completed so that there aren't any delays.
    But Geoff Johns had also plugged Stargirl #1 in that Stargirl Spring Break Special issue, and that's also something that we have no clue about if/when it may be coming.

I'm assuming part of these problems may be due to Geoff Johns, but who knows?
    And who knows if/how interested DC would be in assigning either project to a different writer so they'd get published in a reasonable time frame?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But Geoff Johns had also plugged Stargirl #1 in that Stargirl Spring Break Special issue, and that's also something that we have no clue about if/when it may be coming.

I'm assuming part of these problems may be due to Geoff Johns, but who knows?
    And who knows if/how interested DC would be in assigning either project to a different writer so they'd get published in a reasonable time frame?

Perhaps there are events that happen in these 2 books that make them so that they need to be published around the same time in order for continuity to sync up?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

The thing I don't get is why aren't they at least doing oneshots or minis and stuff for certain characters?

Peeg is just popular and held a 27 issue series already, and I'm sure Palmiotti/Conner would love another go at her. Mr Terrific is coming off of The Terrifics and Strange Adventures and the best he got now is talking to Wally in the Flash book. Alan, Jade, and Obsidian had the most attention they've gotten in years with Infinite Frontier and the pride oneshot. Stargirl I can understand being held by Johns as he's her creator and based on his sister, but then there's the side characters of Stargirl that can explore those legacies: Wildcat with Ted, Yolanda, and Tom, Dr Midnite noir style mini with Pieter and Beth sprinkled with them reminiscing about Charles, Android Hourman going on an adventure with Rex and Rick. Not everything has to be a blow-your-ass-off event or tie into an event.

I get Johns still sells pretty decently with Geiger but like... DC has to get the team out there and take chances if they want people reading. I know people who are interested in JSA characters because of Stargirl and Black Adam but don't really have anything modern to read beyond 1999 and 2007 JSA runs. And when they're done with those I'm just hoping they'll tolerate old school dialogue and prose so I can show them Infinity Inc and ASS.
    Last edited by M L A; 11-20-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Have to say the speculations that Hitch won't be attached to the JSA project actually make me relieved. I have liked a lot of his previous work, but, recently, he has left me quite cold, and I really didn't care much for the designs he gave us for the JSA relaunch. Of course, I may end up with an artist that I care fore even less, however, I'm hopeful that it'll be someone more of my liking.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    The thing I don't get is why aren't they at least doing oneshots or minis and stuff for certain characters?

Peeg is just popular and held a 27 issue series already, and I'm sure Palmiotti/Conner would love another go at her. Mr Terrific is coming off of The Terrifics and Strange Adventures and the best he got now is talking to Wally in the Flash book. Alan, Jade, and Obsidian had the most attention they've gotten in years with Infinite Frontier and the pride oneshot. Stargirl I can understand being held by Johns as he's her creator and based on his sister, but then there's the side characters of Stargirl that can explore those legacies: Wildcat with Ted, Yolanda, and Tom, Dr Midnite noir style mini with Pieter and Beth sprinkled with them reminiscing about Charles, Android Hourman going on an adventure with Rex and Rick. Not everything has to be a blow-your-ass-off event or tie into an event.

I get Johns still sells pretty decently with Geiger but like... DC has to get the team out there and take chances if they want people reading. I know people who are interested in JSA characters because of Stargirl and Black Adam but don't really have anything modern to read beyond 1999 and 2007 JSA runs. And when they're done with those I'm just hoping they'll tolerate old school dialogue and prose so I can show them Infinity Inc and ASS.
    It would be nice if DC listened to you there. But, I suspect they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Have to say the speculations that Hitch won't be attached to the JSA project actually make me relieved. I have liked a lot of his previous work, but, recently, he has left me quite cold, and I really didn't care much for the designs he gave us for the JSA relaunch. Of course, I may end up with an artist that I care fore even less, however, I'm hopeful that it'll be someone more of my liking.

Peace

I totally agree. Hitch's first run on Justice League back in the 90s/2000s was some really good art. His second run left me a bit shocked as to how far he had fallen, especially with his female characters who just looked blah....and, no, I don't mean the they weren't sexy.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Each month I get more and more discouraged as new solicits come out. More and more and more Batbooks and no sign of the title I really want to read: JSA.
    You'd think with the Stargirl TV series doing well and featuring the JSA legacy characters, now would be the time to jump on it. But nope.

I've been waiting since 2010 for a legit JSA series (Earth 2 doesn't count IMO)...and here we still are. Again, more batbooks (that I'm not buying) which is really just driving me away from my 30 year habit.
    I'm about ready to give up at this point.

It's clear that DC doesn't care by allowing Geoff Johns to hold an entire property hostage.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    It's clear that DC doesn't care by allowing Geoff Johns to hold an entire property hostage.

Perhaps no-one has come up with a better pitch than Geoff's. Better to get the book right than just to release it to check off a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Perhaps no-one has come up with a better pitch than Geoff's. Better to get the book right than just to release it to check off a box.
    Well, we don't know if Geoff Johns is holding "an entire property hostage".

We also don't know who, if anybody, would have a serious desire to do a JSA series and if that person would do it justice.

And with all the other problems with the comic book industry these days (including paper shortages), we don't know how high a priority issuing a new JSA series may be for DC.
    And even when people whine about all the Bat-books, I'm assuming they are still generating $'s for DC.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Well, we don't know if Geoff Johns is holding "an entire property hostage".
    I'd be interested in seeing any evidence that this is true, but whether Johns is keeping the JSA to himself; DC is holding them for him; or something else altogether, it's all spectulation.

We also don't know who, if anybody, would have a serious desire to do a JSA series and if that person would do it justice.
    I'm confident that there are creators who would love a chance at the JSA but as you say, could they do the property "justice"? (brilliant pun, BTW)

And with all the other problems with the comic book industry these days (including paper shortages), we don't know how high a priority issuing a new JSA series may be for DC.
    And even when people whine about all the Bat-books, I'm assuming they are still generating $'s for DC.
    It's a different world today for sure. However, the challenges a JSA series has faced in past years still exist in addition to the current day problems. And Batman ^%&*ing sells. Fact.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

Every once in a while we try to guess what DC is doing.

I think what has occurred in the past suggests the template for the future.
    That is that the JSA will show up in a variety of different formats.
    But they won't get a book.
    There will be no statement from the powers that be, we will as fans continue to jump at shadows.

I remain cynical that DC is going to change things anytime soon.
    But if the situation changes, that will be a pleasant surprise.

None of us can really know what is going on behind the scenes at DC.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I pretty much agree with all of this.

I'd be interested in seeing any evidence that this is true, but whether Johns is keeping the JSA to himself; DC is holding them for him; or something else altogether, it's all spectulation.
    I'm confident that there are creators who would love a chance at the JSA but as you say, could they do the property "justice"? (brilliant pun, BTW)

It's a different world today for sure. However, the challenges a JSA series has faced in past years still exist in addition to the current day problems. And Batman ^%&*ing sells. Fact.
    No it gets over ordered by store owners who won't whine about 5-10 unsold copies of Batman but will scream the industry is dead of Ms Marvel has ONE unsold book.

As for the paper shortage-nobody seems to have an issue flooding the market with variant covers.

Those should be the FIRST thing to go. Looking at you Dynamite Comics and anyone who charges above $20 for a variant cover looking at you Boom Studios and Marvel and DC.

Along with second to 7th printings. Unless EVERY copy of the first printing has been sold to a HUMAN being-we should not see second and up printings.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    . . . As for the paper shortage-nobody seems to have an issue flooding the market with variant covers.

Those should be the FIRST thing to go. Looking at you Dynamite Comics and anyone who charges above $20 for a variant cover looking at you Boom Studios and Marvel and DC . . .
    But do "Boom Studios and Marvel and DC" have anything to do with the prices charged for those over-priced variant covers?

Are those the prices that are printed on those covers, or is the pricing of the ultra-expensive variants controlled instead by "the market" / the stores that order them?

I know DC charges an extra dollar for variant covers printed on firmer card stock, but beyond that, . . . ?