Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Well....the JSA is not a pregnant elephant. So it's hard to tell when it's going to happen. I suspect it's easier to just go business as usual with Nightwing, Flash and even Wonder Woman than it is to with the JSA. What makes the JSA different from other franchises is that these are much older characters and requires a certain degree of knowledge, love and respect for DC history while also willing to be bold and take the franchise in a new directions. The franchise can't survive unless they pick up newer readers either. We had those guys in the form of Geoff Johns, James Robinson and Grant Morrison but they are a spent force at this point and the franchise needs new blood in order to survive.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Your two major points are those which I hope DC is aware of and needs to heed in setting up a new series.

1) The JSA ain't like other teams. Their historic placement and their age are points that either make them special and worthy of being kept around, or problematic and disposable (which some at DC believe).

2) The JSA needs fans of new blood. I still maintain that the JSA fanbase, although loyal to a fault, are older and actuarially speaking, a decreasing cohort. Sure there are some, but in order to get more than just us (and we know who we are), more are needed to provide at least some sort of cushion saleswise. Would a Roy Thomas "fit it all in and reference old books" approach work for current reading proclivities? I recognize there is a challenge there and it would take a fan (or at least a historian) to make a team book with yet another Flash and Green Lantern stand out.

And then sometimes, I just wanna stamp my feet and scream "I want it!"
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. Your two major points are those which I hope DC is aware of and needs to heed in setting up a new series.

1) The JSA ain't like other teams. Their historic placement and their age are points that either make them special and worthy of being kept around, or problematic and disposable (which some at DC believe).

2) The JSA needs fans of new blood. I still maintain that the JSA fanbase, although loyal to a fault, are older and actuarially speaking, a decreasing cohort. Sure there are some, but in order to get more than just us (and we know who we are), more are needed to provide at least some sort of cushion saleswise. Would a Roy Thomas "fit it all in and reference old books" approach work for current reading proclivities? I recognize there is a challenge there and it would take a fan (or at least a historian) to make a team book with yet another Flash and Green Lantern stand out.

And then sometimes, I just wanna stamp my feet and scream "I want it!"

You make some good points. I'm a middle-aged fan who's been reading DC since the very early 80s. Sadly, some of my friends who also started reading comics around the same time have become disillusioned by changes at DC over the last 10/15 years(the New 52 really drove a lot of them away & only about half them came back for Rebirth). A new JSA book will have to feature the right amount of mix of classic characters and elements along with some new ones to attract younger readers. If you do too much "new" like they did right before the New 52 and within the New 52 in Earth 2, I don't think that will work for the long-haul as both faced tons of criticism. I did enjoy the New 52 Earth for the most part but at the same time I missed the classic JSA(Pre-Crisis Earth 2 preferred).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

I think that the point about new blood is valuable.
    Which is why I think the Stargirl TV series has been so helpful.
    It provides a place for those who never read the JSA in the 1970s,
    the Infinity comic, All Star Squadron, Young All Stars to get connected with the stories.

Sure, the original JSA are marginal characters on TV, but you at least get
    people used to thinking of them as living characters.

Now regarding the return of a functioning book. I'm with the cynics on this point.
    There have been so many times the sunrise looks like it is coming up, only to be
    a false dawn. I don't want to dash the hopefulness many feel about the whole recent
    appearance of JSAesque characters in various mediums. But I've been disappointed
    so many times. My position, which I think some people share, is to be pleased when
    JSA shows up in various DC mediums, but I'm not getting optimistic about anything until
    I see a new JSA book.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    . . . I don't want to dash the hopefulness many feel about the whole recent appearance of JSAesque characters in various mediums. But I've been disappointed so many times. My position, which I think some people share, is to be pleased when JSA shows up in various DC mediums, but I'm not getting optimistic about anything until I see a new JSA book.
    I don't watch the movies / TV shows / play video games, etc., so all I personally care about is if/when the JSA shows up in the comic books and who's writing them / how they're handled.

I was considering buying the tpb of their appearances in Snyder's Justice League, but I later got a sense that they really weren't all that important to the overall story (a story I didn't really have any other interest in)?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Well....the JSA is not a pregnant elephant. So it's hard to tell when it's going to happen. I suspect it's easier to just go business as usual with Nightwing, Flash and even Wonder Woman than it is to with the JSA. What makes the JSA different from other franchises is that these are much older characters and requires a certain degree of knowledge, love and respect for DC history while also willing to be bold and take the franchise in a new directions. The franchise can't survive unless they pick up newer readers either. We had those guys in the form of Geoff Johns, James Robinson and Grant Morrison but they are a spent force at this point and the franchise needs new blood in order to survive.
    Robinson and Johns and Tomasi were the only people at DC that gave a crap about of what the JSA was about. As soon as Johns left, the book became garbage over night. They are probably other creators that care about the JSA, but it's pretty clear DC would never hire them.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-25-2021 at 07:20 PM.

From May of 2021:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There'll be a JSA book next year, as we get closer to the Black Adam movie featuring (some of) the JSA.
    Well, 2021 is just about done.
    Here's hoping 2022 brings about a Justice Society of America title.

And I believe the current date for the Black Adam movie is July 29, 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    From May of 2021:

Well, 2021 is just about done.
    Here's hoping 2022 brings about a Justice Society of America title.

And I believe the current date for the Black Adam movie is July 29, 2022?
    Don’t hold your breath Major! How many years running has it been since here’s hoping DC puts out a JSA book?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Don’t hold your breath Major! How many years running has it been since here’s hoping DC puts out a JSA book?
    One can hope, but that doesn't mean one expects it to happen.

Hell, I keep buying lottery tickets every now and then, though I don't expect them to ever be winners.

Amazing Member

I think the best hope to have right now is JSA characters showing up in other books or being individually selected to come back. I keep my fingers crossed for Power Girl, but I’m not too hopeful, as Kara hasn’t been too hot in recent years either.

Quote Originally Posted by Forlorn View Post
    I think the best hope to have right now is JSA characters showing up in other books or being individually selected to come back. I keep my fingers crossed for Power Girl, but I’m not too hopeful, as Kara hasn’t been too hot in recent years either.
    She’s starring in One Star Squadron. I really liked the first issue. Don’t know if it’s in regular continuity or some elseworld but at least she’s around. Don’t know if that will help her character or not. The ending wasn’t to good for her character though.

Doesn't seem like it fits, as shouldn't Karen be with the JSA, who appeared in the Infinite Frontier mini?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

In the immortal words of Clark Griswold: Surprised, Eddie? If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

That’s about how I feel when it comes to the JSA appearing in a book again.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

At least now I feel we are closer.
    The multiverse is back.
    The history has been restored.
    JSA members are appearing around the DCU again.
    Jade, Obsidian, Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Michael, Courtney...
    It feels like something is slowly brewing.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

JSA is the major part of Black Adam movie, so, I assume we're getting something, if not ongoing, then some maxi or mini series at very least.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doesn't seem like it fits, as shouldn't Karen be with the JSA, who appeared in the Infinite Frontier mini?
    Who knows, maybe they wrote her out off panel; it's not out of character for DC regarding PG. AFAIK, she's the only relatively major DC character who hasn't been in any live action TV or movies, and in only one unfortunate animated DVD, which is pretty indicative of how DC views Power Girl. I mean, they're handing out shows to characters that just debuted. But nothing at all for PG. Superboy, various versions, SG.....Steel, whatever his daughter is called....all have many more animated appearances than PG.