Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I would think that most fans today do rather care about turning the JSA into just another venue for the Trinity and League. Honestly, you could never show or even mention the Trinity and the JSA not only wouldn't suffer for it, it would be improved.
    I'd prefer the Trinity have no part in the JSA, besides the occasional crossover with the League, like the wonderful Virtue And Vice. But no, I definitely don't want them as members going forward.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I'd prefer the Trinity have no part in the JSA, besides the occasional crossover with the League, like the wonderful Virtue And Vice. But no, I definitely don't want them as members going forward.
    The annual crossovers were fun. Once a year.

Superman and Batman, I can see, but where Wonder Woman was a big part of the JSA in the Golden Age, I'm more accepting of her as a member, even an active one. My understanding was that Marston had an agreement with DC that he was to write ALL of Diana's adventures and he just didn't have the time. From the outside it looked pretty sexist, even for the forties.

Where retconning and rewriting has been a big part of the JSA's history, I can see her actually being a secretary, but only due to her standing for the truth and her chronicles would be free from propaganda and bias. it's MY head canon, but I think it fits both gender equality and the character, as well as maintaining more of the old days.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Superman and Batman, I can see, but where Wonder Woman was a big part of the JSA in the Golden Age, I'm more accepting of her as a member, even an active one. My understanding was that Marston had an agreement with DC that he was to write ALL of Diana's adventures and he just didn't have the time. From the outside it looked pretty sexist, even for the forties.

Where retconning and rewriting has been a big part of the JSA's history, I can see her actually being a secretary, but only due to her standing for the truth and her chronicles would be free from propaganda and bias. it's MY head canon, but I think it fits both gender equality and the character, as well as maintaining more of the old days.
    Agreed. I've always thought that ashcanning Wonder Woman's Golden Age roots, and JSA history, was one of the single biggest mistakes that DC made in constructing their post-Crisis continuity.

Yeah, rebooting Wonder Woman was definitely a mistake - it badly affected Teen Titans (their most popular book back then) too, as Donna Troy and Lilith had their origins destroyed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

My problem with including Wonder Woman now is that makes things slightly problematic for any Wonder Girl. Why arent they being ushered into the JSA seeing that's where WW's legacy lies instead of the Teen Titans?

Incredible Member

Because they're too heavily associated with TT to the point where I dare say Donna and Cassie are TT characters first and WW characters second. Or at least DC sees them that way.

Also Lyta is the young token WW character for JSA/earth 2 though I doubt DC will allow her to be Diana and Steve's daughter (even with Diana being really old now) or even mingle with the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Because they're too heavily associated with TT to the point where I dare say Donna and Cassie are TT characters first and WW characters second. Or at least DC sees them that way.

Also Lyta is the young token WW character for JSA/earth 2 though I doubt DC will allow her to be Diana and Steve's daughter (even with Diana being really old now) or even mingle with the DCU.
    The whole bit about initially removing Wonder Woman's connections to the JSA at the beginning of the post-CoIE period made sense at the time once the JSA and the JLA were all on a single Earth. I felt the real mistake was not giving Diana a "Man of Steel"-like miniseries at the beginning so she could then have a history prior to the introduction of the post-CoIE Justice League and be on a more equal footing with Superman and Batman from the beginning. (It took DC until Infinite Crisis about twenty years later to undo that mess.)

And since DC never got around to releasing a revised version of the previously solicited GENERATION ONE AGE OF MYSTERIES (https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...e-of-mysteries), we still can only guess what DC is thinking in terms of any history of the Justice Society of America in "current continuity".

As for Lyta, is she still even going to be allowed back into the DC Universe proper after what happened with her and Hector as a result of Vertigo / The Sandman?
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-20-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

My view on that is that regardless of what she did in the Golden Age with the JSA; she's not a good fit. Suddenly it becomes "Wonder Woman and some scrubs" instead of JSA. A lot of more current JSAers have popularity that could be revived instead of putting any of the Trinity on the team. Plus, she's already got books and movies, she doesn't need the JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Yeah I get all that, my point was meant from an in-universe POV. Hopefully that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    My view on that is that regardless of what she did in the Golden Age with the JSA; she's not a good fit. Suddenly it becomes "Wonder Woman and some scrubs" instead of JSA. A lot of more current JSAers have popularity that could be revived instead of putting any of the Trinity on the team. Plus, she's already got books and movies, she doesn't need the JSA.
    I absolutely agree with this. Although, to contradict myself, I would have loved it if the Wonder Woman 2 movie had been another WW2 period piece involving her and the JSA. Then spin them off. I'd find that more interesting than the whole Black Adam thing. That'd be my only exception.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I get all that, my point was meant from an in-universe POV. Hopefully that makes sense.

I absolutely agree with this. Although, to contradict myself, I would have loved it if the Wonder Woman 2 movie had been another WW2 period piece involving her and the JSA. Then spin them off. I'd find that more interesting than the whole Black Adam thing. That'd be my only exception.
    A WWII piece? They could work in Sgt. Rock in passing, and yeah, for one movie I'd go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The whole bit about initially removing Wonder Woman's connections to the JSA at the beginning of the post-CoIE period made sense at the time once the JSA and the JLA were all on a single Earth. I felt the real mistake was not giving Diana a "Man of Steel"-like miniseries at the beginning so she could then have a history prior to the introduction of the post-CoIE Justice League and be on a more equal footing with Superman and Batman from the beginning. (It took DC until Infinite Crisis about twenty years later to undo that mess.)

And since DC never got around to releasing a revised version of the previously solicited GENERATION ONE AGE OF MYSTERIES (https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...e-of-mysteries), we still can only guess what DC is thinking in terms of any history of the Justice Society of America in "current continuity".

As for Lyta, is she still even going to be allowed back into the DC Universe proper after what happened with her and Hector as a result of Vertigo / The Sandman?
    They didn't even reboot her in New 52's Earth-2 book - the Fury codename went to Donna instead (Troia wouldn't have made sense as she didn't have the Troy surname). Lyta does seem to be gone forever.

Jakeem Thunder is now a Teen Titan. Maybe Cassie Sandsmark should go the other way, and become the new Fury? After all, there's a new Wonder Girl now.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    . . . Maybe Cassie Sandsmark should go the other way, and become the new Fury? After all, there's a new Wonder Girl now.
    But we don't know if there was still a "Golden Age"-era Fury, do we?

No reason why she wouldn't still have existed - though wasn't she only created because the then-modern Fury had to be retconned since Wonder Woman was her mother pre-Crisis? Hence why her first appearance was in Secret Origins (in 1987 i.e. immediately after Crisis) and not an actual All-Star Squadron comic? She'd be dead by now though. With Lyta also dead and New 52's Fury being alternate universe, the mantle is vacant.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No reason why she wouldn't still have existed - though wasn't she only created because the then-modern Fury had to be retconned since Wonder Woman was her mother pre-Crisis? Hence why her first appearance was in Secret Origins (in 1987 i.e. immediately after Crisis) and not an actual All-Star Squadron comic? She'd be dead by now though. With Lyta also dead and New 52's Fury being alternate universe, the mantle is vacant.
    If I remember correctly they established that Helena Kosmatos was immortal due to being a host for one of the mythological Furries, which also had the unfortunate side effect of driving her insane. She was a bit of a supporting character during the Phil Jimenez WW run where the Amazons on Paradise Island where trying to help her. She was last seen in infinite crisis leaving with the Amazons and wasn't seen with them when they came back in Amazon's Attack or in Gail's run. So she just kind of disappeared.