Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    My view on that is that regardless of what she did in the Golden Age with the JSA; she's not a good fit. Suddenly it becomes "Wonder Woman and some scrubs" instead of JSA. A lot of more current JSAers have popularity that could be revived instead of putting any of the Trinity on the team. Plus, she's already got books and movies, she doesn't need the JSA.
    I don't think many think WW needs the JSA. However, it may be that the JSA needs Wonder woman with her newfound movie popularity.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't think many think WW needs the JSA. However, it may be that the JSA needs Wonder woman with her newfound movie popularity.
    I don't believe that to be the case. Look at all the constant interest here in the franchise from fans. After this many years they're champing at the bit to get the Society back. If anything, I believe Wonder Woman would just get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I don't believe that to be the case. Look at all the constant interest here in the franchise from fans. After this many years they're champing at the bit to get the Society back. If anything, I believe Wonder Woman would just get in the way.
    You realize that the fans champing at the bit for the JSA here on this forum, is a teeny tiny drop in the ocean of what a movie needs to be successful?
    This forum is going to have a larger percentage of diehard JSA fans than is even remotely existent in the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You realize that the fans champing at the bit for the JSA here on this forum, is a teeny tiny drop in the ocean of what a movie needs to be successful?
    This forum is going to have a larger percentage of diehard JSA fans than is even remotely existent in the outside world.
    Here I was referring to comics. And that JSA support is not just limited to here, it's on many comic forums. I know that's still a minority, but people are talking. Remember, the 1999 series won many awards over its lifespan, people do remember it fondly, despite how long it's been.

Here I was referring to comics.
    I got confused because there was a lot of talk about Wonder Woman being in the recent JSA movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I got confused because there was a lot of talk about Wonder Woman being in the recent JSA movie.
    Yeah I totally understand. We're slinging like 5 different conversations at the same time.

Here I was referring to comics. And that JSA support is not just limited to here, it's on many comic forums. I know that's still a minority, but people are talking. Remember, the 1999 series won many awards over its lifespan, people do remember it fondly, despite how long it's been.
    Demographics on fandom for the JSA have not really been collected, but the readers anecdotally seems to be more loyal, longer term fans. At least compared with other franchises. Bringing in enough new fans to replace older ones leaving for various reasons (like getting old and dying) may be a real problem for DC, at least they seem to think so. If you want a media hero overtaking a team book, look at Batman and the JLofA back in the Adam West days.

Now the dynamics of a WW1 active WW and a rookie JSA in the early forties can be a fun relationship with a variety of reactions. I can also see blurbs of "Wonder Woman's FIRST super-team" on the first few issues and eventually the luster wears off. She'd be the 21st century "Super Squad" to sell the book. She's also another connection to the Golden Age which frankly, the JSA needs to be the JSA and not Just another Justice League. And a JSA with WW is far better than no JSA without her.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

It's Coming but be careful what we wish for you see what they done with the Legion of SuperHeroes.

Boisterously Confused

Fan preferences for Wonder Woman's place in the JSA are probably splintered along the lines of those who first encountered the JSA in their pre-or post-Crisis incarnations.

Aside from making an utter mess of the JSA and All-Star Squadron's stories, I thought excising WW from the Golden Age a mistake because she could have been their continuity piece. There was nothing to bridge the original and modern eras other than Infinity, Inc. (who, love them tho I did, were problematic as the JSA's children the more time passed, and had to compete for the Next Gen trophy with the NTT).

I'm fine with it either way.

I think WW is the only trinity hero who can work as both a JSA member and a JLA member and it would allow DC to say that some of the old Golden Age stories still happened in some shape or form.

OTOH, I also like WW debuting in the modern day and being a contemporary of Superman and Batman. I find the idea of Diana living anonymously in Mans World for decades and out of the spot light to be a bit OOC. I could buy her retiring back to Paradise Island after WW2 either through disillusionment or just needing to get away from it all. IMO, given the nature of Wonder Woman's character, I feel like if she existed since the 40's, she would have accelerated women's rights to the point where the present day would be unrecognizable.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm fine with it either way.

I think WW is the only trinity hero who can work as both a JSA member and a JLA member and it would allow DC to say that some of the old Golden Age stories still happened in some shape or form.

OTOH, I also like WW debuting in the modern day and being a contemporary of Superman and Batman. I find the idea of Diana living anonymously in Mans World for decades and out of the spot light to be a bit OOC. I could buy her retiring back to Paradise Island after WW2 either through disillusionment or just needing to get away from it all. IMO, given the nature of Wonder Woman's character, I feel like if she existed since the 40's, she would have accelerated women's rights to the point where the present day would be unrecognizable.
    I must agree that keeping WW in Man's World from 1941-1987 without substantial change to women's power in-continuity would have been a serious conundrum for a writer. Saying she took time-out to raise a daughter wouldn't have gotten it done. You're caught between either making of her a Pollyanna, or something more akin to Busiek's Winged Victory (which is to say, something other than the iconic WW, no matter how great). I think it could be done, but it is indeed a Wicked Tough Problem for a writer to solve.

Probably the best fix would be to say Themyscira exists outside of normal space/time and what was a couple of years of sabbatical for Diana turned out to be 70+ years for the rest of the world.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    It's Coming but be careful what we wish for you see what they done with the Legion of SuperHeroes.
    Only because at that time, Doomsday Clock run haven't finished and Bendis desperately want a " Legion of Superheroes" book. Right now that Doomsday Clock and Death Metal are over, it's time for the new era to feature a JSA book based on that lineup we see from DDC.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Only because at that time, Doomsday Clock run haven't finished and Bendis desperately want a " Legion of Superheroes" book. Right now that Doomsday Clock and Death Metal are over, it's time for the new era to feature a JSA book based on that lineup we see from DDC.
    Why that line-up?

There are many things that don't make sense with that grouping.
    For instance, when did Beth Chapel and Yolanda Montez suddenly become members of the Justice Society of America? (I thought they were only with Infinty Inc., not the JSA.) And where's Pieter Cross?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why that line-up?

There are many things that don't make sense with that grouping.
    For instance, when did Beth Chapel and Yolanda Montez suddenly become members of the Justice Society of America? (I thought they were only with Infinty Inc., not the JSA.) And where's Pieter Cross?
    Because it offers a good mix of characters from different generations and many of them are favorite of the fans (the mix of generations was also the formula that brought success to the group during the 1999 run).

About Beth and Yolanda, it's obvious they are here for the sinergy with the Stargirl tv show. STRIPE and Jade never were members either before and here they are.