Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She has to have replaced Dinah, as Dinah Drake being a World War II hero no longer makes sense, considering she's Dinah Laurel Lance's mother.
    Hoy was referring to the retcons with post-crisis Diana, Black Canary, and the Leagues founding membership. I'm not sure the relevance for this tangent of the conversation.

Also, we see the the Golden Age Black Canary in one of the photos in the JSA headquarters in Infinite Frontier #0. Whether they've changed her relationship to the current one remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No, I have no problem if they eventually introduce women as new members.
    I am curious as to if/when these characters SUDDENLY are said to be Justice Society of America members when they previously were not (at least, not on the main Earth).

Again, why are they all of a sudden "appearing with the JSA in a scene"? And why Beth instead of Pieter?
    Lots of possible reasons. Beth Chapel isn't a white male. She's also a featured character in Stargirl. Geoff Johns may just prefer this version. She was the legacy created by Roy Thomas. Any of those three would be a good enough reason to use her.

The "main figure in the picture" is a guy who Dr. Manhattan screwed around with for the entire twelve issues of this extremely delayed series, and he's not just appearing with the JSA. If you read that issue (I didn't; I just found the images to download), the ENTIRE picture included other, non-JSA characters:
    I just cropped the image to focus primarily on the JSA.
    (Or what Geoff Johns and Gary Frank seemed to be indicating might be the JSA, but who knows any more.)
    And your final statement is something that may or may not be an issue. The return of the JSA is the focus of the panel. Are Beth and Yolanda there because they're part of the team, or just to show that they're still alive in this new reality. Again, without an actual JSA book, an actual roster of members is unlikely. But Beth seems to be more likely than Yolanda Yolanda to her being the legacy to a still active and relatively popular Wildcat. And, of course, Beth's TV time adds to her resume.

It's a superhero comic book about heroes who started fighting bad guys over 80 years ago. This is a field where characters die and come back to life with amazing regularity. If you have the opinion that you'd prefer Pieter there instead of Beth, that's great. it's fair and we could discuss that if I really had a preference. But "Beth and Yolanda shouldn't be there" is a statement that even if you didn't read the book shouldn't be a surprise at all.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

She has to have replaced Dinah, as Dinah Drake being a World War II hero no longer makes sense, considering she's Dinah Laurel Lance's mother.
    And that's a major problem with the JSA time gap. Mother/daughter relationships stretch out until they are no longer possible without extra help. I am a proponent of some sort of Captain Americaning them so we can at least get them back to be able to give birth to and raise the Infinity, Inc. generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Why wouldn't or shouldn't the Doomsday Clock iteration of the team exist?
    In my conversation with Major Hoy, it came up that this may NOT be an actual team, but a team with other restored characters thrown in. I'm also not sure how often, if at all, the DClock scene will be referenced. I'm looking at this as a "these characters are back and they can and MIGHT get used".

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    If the Stargirl show continues to do well
    And Black Adam proves popular enough
    All of those things mean nothing when it comes to the comic books, unless somebody at DC FORCES a changeover that rewrites the comic books in favor of the TV shows and movies.

But what that would accomplish is questionable since it doesn't seem that TV or movie audiences that don't already read comic books will necessarily get an urge to find a local comic book shop and suddenly become comic book readers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    And that's a major problem with the JSA time gap. Mother/daughter relationships stretch out until they are no longer possible without extra help. I am a proponent of some sort of Captain Americaning them so we can at least get them back to be able to give birth to and raise the Infinity, Inc. generation.
    Yeah, Liberty Belle has the same problem (the golden age one being Jesse Quick/Liberty Belle 2's mother), but the original was only in All-Star Squadron, not JSA.

How does this sound? Green Arrow and Speedy were sent back in time as explained in the Stargirl one-shot. They seek Jay Garrick's help to get home, knowing the Flashes are capable of time travel. He does so, but not being as experienced with it as Barry and Wally, the major JSA characters get sucked in too - and they all end up stranded in the 90s or early 2000s. That would immediately halve the JSA's ages, meaning they no longer need excuses for why Alan, Ted and Jay are still alive at 100+ years old. It also serves to age up Roy Harper by a few years, which would in turn explain why Lian is a teenager now (he and Cheshire had her earlier - shift it to the classic Teen Titans era instead of New Teen Titans). Stripesy could be sent forward in time in the same incident, setting up how he came to become Stargirl's stepdad. Along with his partner the original Star Spangled Kid, of course, who was the founder of Infinity Inc.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-23-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah, Liberty Belle has the same problem (the golden age one being Jesse Quick/Liberty Belle 2's mother), but the original was only in All-Star Squadron, not JSA.

How does this sound? Green Arrow and Speedy were sent back in time as explained in the Stargirl one-shot. They seek Jay Garrick's help to get home, knowing the Flashes are capable of time travel. He does so, but not being as experienced with it as Barry and Wally, the major JSA characters get sucked in too - and they all end up stranded in the 90s or early 2000s. That would immediately halve the JSA's ages, meaning they no longer need excuses for why Alan, Ted and Jay are still alive at 100+ years old. It also serves to age up Roy Harper by a few years, which would in turn explain why Lian is a teenager now (he and Cheshire had her earlier - shift it to the classic Teen Titans era instead of New Teen Titans). Stripesy could be sent forward in time in the same incident, setting up how he came to become Stargirl's stepdad. Along with his partner the original Star Spangled Kid, of course, who was the founder of Infinity Inc.
    Well in the 1999 JSA series it was explained that Libby's and Johnny's powers helped them to not age too much (for example the Thanksgiving issue in which Libby explained it).

Astonishing Member

They already gave reasons why most don't age.

Maybe they will change Zero Hour in the sense that Extant didn't kill the old members but shunted them forward in time.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post

Both post Death Metal and Infinite Frontier sets up takes precedence over Doomsday Clock.
    Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen Sgt. Rock having the word (name) "Rock" written on his helmet before . . .
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-23-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen Sgt. Rock having the word (name) "Rock" written on his helmet before . . .
    Also not very often you see Hourman without the black on his forehead (looking at you, Mattel DCUC Series 14 Hourman figure).

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Also not very often you see Hourman without the black on his forehead (looking at you, Mattel DCUC Series 14 Hourman figure).
    That one has varied in the past.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    If the Stargirl show continues to do well
    And Black Adam proves popular enough
    As we have seen with CERTAIN folks tvs and movies don't matter.

That one has varied in the past.
    Hence the 'not very often' part of it. It's been fairly consistent since the '99 series. Iirc it was missing for most, if not all, of the' 92 series. Could be wrong on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Well in the 1999 JSA series it was explained that Libby's and Johnny's powers helped them to not age too much (for example the Thanksgiving issue in which Libby explained it).
    Well, Johnny's explanation is the exact same as Jay's, of course.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Pretty hilarious how this thread went silent as soon as the many doubters were proven wrong. I don’t mind saying I told you so because I’m sure everyone here is happy to have the JSA back.

(Any second now majorhoy will show up to complain that it’s not the ‘real’ JSA.)