Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Should the MCU X-men lean heavily into the minority metophor?

I haven't seen this discussed before so forgive me if it were. Should the MCU X-men heavily feature the persecuted minority aspect of the franchise? I'm asking this because with Shang Chi, Ms Marvel, and CA4 MCU is already developing projects with minority leads before the inevitable arrival of the mutants? To me it'll be better if they distance themselves from Prof. X/Magneto ideological clash a bit and go to space with Shi'ar or go weird with Mojo for the first outings. I'm not saying completely abondon the metaphor but maybe not make it the focal point of the franchise.

It should still be important.

Having minority leads in film, Hollywood, etc... doesn't erase discrimination and the metaphor for mutants extends beyond just race or even sexuality. It's about the quintessential "other" or a scapegoat that people create based on fear of change or perceived differences. The groups themselves don't even have to be that dissimilar, it's more the psychological factor that drives the conflict and makes it ironic. It'll also always be relevant because humans like to separate ourselves into groups and categories and so some form of minority will always exist as well.

I've seen some people describe it more as a tribalism concept or metaphor (which is probably why Marvel thought the Inhumans could replace them) and I kinda agree but it has shades of other concepts as well. But anyway, the answer is still yes.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 05-16-2021 at 04:24 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

If they don’t, what makes the X-Men unique? What’s the point of going in a Mutant Avengers (ordinary superhero team) or Mutant Guardians (space explorers) route? They could just introduce the characters and not do X-Men at all if that’s the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    It's about the quintessential "other" or a scapegoat that people create based on fear of change or perceived differences. The groups themselves don't even have to be that dissimilar, it's more the psychological factor that drives the conflict and makes it ironic. It'll also always be relevant because humans like to separate ourselves into groups and categories and so some form of minority will always exist as well.
    I didn't think of it like that so I agree on that front. But then I feel like this leads to another problem. Making a general statement about discrimination may come out as vague. If you put different forms of racism into the same pot and treat them the same what you get may not resemble what you expect. I think it is more meaningfull to tackle the issues american muslims face in Ms Marvel than doing it through a mutant as what american muslims face everyday will be different than what americans with chinese ancestry face. If X-men represents all minorities then the message it tries to give may come out too simplistic or if it targets a specific minority group than it may come out tone deaf and cringe. And again I'm not saying X-men should abandon the metaphor. I'm just saying I prefer a movie featuring a specific minority give a strong message about the discrimination they face than a movie featuring characters that stand for all minorities do the same as the latter may not deliver its message properly.

Producers make movies happen.

Will they earn money with movies leaning heavily into the minority metaphor?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

To me X-Men is a story about minorities. That is why I love them. Without that angle, they would be any other superhero team.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    If they don’t, what makes the X-Men unique?.
    ... The different characters.

The X-Men should be a metaphor for how white people are persecuted for having all the wealth and power, and doing police brutality and alll those school shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Producers make movies happen.

Will they earn money with movies leaning heavily into the minority metaphor?
    If they do it right
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The X-Men should be a metaphor for how white people are persecuted for having all the wealth and power, and doing police brutality and alll those school shootings.
    I like it. Think that would really resonate in today’s environment. The X-men as the 1%.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If Disney is gonna be lazy and just use flat-scan passing characters, just stick with the fear of living among human weapons story they already have going.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    If they do it right
    Why would they take the risk? Special effects (and major stars) are so costly…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

It should be present but not such a focus that I become acutely aware of it. Don't go "after-school special" on me.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member

I would prefer it as underlying theme or constant side element, but not being the primary drive of their appearances or actions.

Basicly it should be there, should be noticable, but shouldn't hit the viewer over the head with a sledgehammer.

Because as some point out, the mutant metaphor breaks appart when put under too much examination or when questioned too smartly, but when used as backdrop or underlying theme it creates this overarching feeling of what it feels to be other/different and how it can shape a person to the better or worse.

Though i'm also of the opinion that the mutants should not become a major focus straight away, but instead get introduced in the backround. Henchmen, hired agents, freely operating individuals. All officialy unconnected but having one thing in common, they have super powers, they suddently gained them and nobody knows how and why.

Because to the whole ongoing conflict around super powers, the mutants would be quite a game changer. No nano machines, no super soldier serum, no infinity stones, no alien heritage. Suddently there are people with super powers and no explanation for where they got them.

So governments, heros and villains alike are suddently at loss on how they should handle this situation. Let the viewer experience just how unknown, disturbing or dangerous it must feel when people randomly gain super powers, even in a world where such things are common, but by intentional creation.

Never mind
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-16-2021 at 09:51 AM.