Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Master of Sound did a poll a few years ago on the CBR community's favorite X-Men. Here are links to the results: Favorite Male X-Men and Favorite Female X-Men.

All of the top-10 male X-men are white. (Nightcrawler is of European descent although he obviously has blue-black fur). And 8 of the top-10 X-Women are white (Storm, Jubilee).

The X-Men franchise that we know and love consists of mostly beautiful, sexy white people and their soap operas (that play out as they live wealthy lives in luxurious, high-tech bases most of the time).

With this context in mind, I would not want or trust Hollywood to get heavy-handed with the minority metaphor if for no other reason than Hollywood will end up making mistakes (or at least doing things I don't like) if they try to do it.

Personally, I would like to see the most iconic and popular X-Men in my X-Men movies (because those characters tend to be my favorites as well), and I don't want them race-swapped. Others' mileage may vary.
    Didn't most of those characters already show up in the previous movies?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Sure, and I would like to continue seeing these characters as they are incorporated in the MCU. I just don't know if that's possible in the current year (the original X-Men movie was a long time ago) if the minority metaphor is at the forefront.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I did, but just did not mention it directly because I trust some people will get my inside joke.

Speaking of this minority methphor issue. Fox has done it several times and it is the only fox movies that had good flesh to chew.
    I am all in for story telling and decent plot , infact I have said this 10x over on the TV/Forum thread but I guess never said it here on X Books, but did you know the first X-MEN film was so story focused that not even once did Magneto and Xavier ever trade blows or fight each other? here is the proof.

which is beyond a rare for a superhero film that the main rivals dont even fight once in the entire film and ironically it feels more worth it that , that movie main focus was the minority metaphor angle though Magneto is Jewish and Storm was African, so it was not just a metaphor and that film was carried simply for the story and themes only.

Do I agree with you that it will be a sorry excuse of a film if a film has no decent plot or characters that look like their comics counterpart, sure but this is not the standard to judge comic films anymore. this is not X1 of 21 years gone by. things are different both from a political and social place as well as an artistic place. Also since diversity is such big add on and Hollywood not has rules to make sure, films have diversity. a movie in 2021 and beyond can get praised just for diversity only and not because it has a decent plot.
    Umm...Why should've Magneto and Xavier ever have traded blows or fight each other in X1? Their conflict was never really on that level.

As for rest, are you actually saying that it would acceptable in 2021 for the next Harry Potter Movie to label itself as being a X-men Moive just because it has a witch named Ororo and a dragon called Lockheed in it?
    Last edited by rcaguy; 05-17-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Sounds good. Really hope MCU taps into the vast tapestry of x-characters and doesn't focus on the same faces every movie. A constantly changing team from project to project would be great.
    The good thing about the X-Men is that the comics switch around the roster a lot so people can’t really get too up in arms if their fave isn’t included. I think we can also anticipate multiple X-Men projects. No way Disney doesn’t make at least a couple of spin-offs for Disney+

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The CBR community should never ever be considered as representational of the global readership and even far less, the viewership.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Most of them were little more than wallpaper in Wolverine & Friends.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The CBR community should never ever be considered as representational of the global readership and even far less, the viewership.
    Disagree. First of all, CBR does have international posters on here, but more to point, I believe a global survey of all X-Men comic book readers would produce largely the same results.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yes, another reason we should hope these characters appear in the MCU is if we believe they were mostly playing second-fiddle to Hugh Jackman when Fox was making these movies. Maybe Disney does these characters justice. At least we can hope.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Sure, and I would like to continue seeing these characters as they are incorporated in the MCU. I just don't know if that's possible in the current year (the original X-Men movie was a long time ago) if the minority metaphor is at the forefront.
    Whether the minority metaphor is at the forefront or not, focusing on mostly White X-men will probably not be possible in the current year

I agree a lot of them didn't have great portrayals. I hope Logan takes a back seat this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    What exactly is the "viewership"? Casual moviegoers who haven't read a single X-Book? If so, they aren't the group I want being catered to. Conversely, I don't think that hardcore comics readers should be the focus either.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Whether the minority metaphor is at the forefront or not, focusing on mostly White X-men will probably not be possible in the current year

I agree a lot of them didn't have great portrayals. I hope Logan takes a back seat this time.
    Does no one see any problems with that first point? What's mostly white? Half the team?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Does no one see any problems with that first point? What's mostly white? Half the team?
    I’d personally be fine with half, but how many times has the team (both in the movies and comics) just had Storm and then relegate her to shooting lightning and calling it a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I’d personally be fine with half, but how many times has the team (both in the movies and comics) just had Storm and then relegate her to shooting lightning and calling it a day?
    And that is also wrong, you won't find me saying otherwise. That being said I don't want an X-Men film where Scott is the only white character and he's relegated to shooting beams and calling it a day either. Do I think that's where they'll go? No, but that attitude is not the right one to have in my opinion.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The minority metaphor, as it pertains to the X-Men, in today's understanding goes far beyond the concept of Race to include minorities across a vast spectrum of characteristics and descriptions. Relegating it to just White vs Other is really disregarding and neglecting their true "message".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ultimate Member

I though they were talking about the mainly White X-Men.

And that is also wrong, you won't find me saying otherwise. That being said I don't want an X-Men film where Scott is the only white character and he's relegated to shooting beams and calling it a day either. Do I think that's where they'll go? No, but that attitude is not the right one to have in my opinion.
    If they're trying to preach about hate and equality, having too many White people on the team could be tone-deaf