Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

It's crazy how Invincible pushed people's interest to buy and read the comics. HC collection and the Compendiums are selling like hotcakes. Even BC did a piece on this https://bleedingcool.com/comics/invi...c-novels-2021/.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    It's crazy how Invincible pushed people's interest to buy and read the comics. HC collection and the Compendiums are selling like hotcakes. Even BC did a piece on this https://bleedingcool.com/comics/invi...c-novels-2021/.
    The thing is it is not that crazy books and manga similar get a boost when they release a show or movies. If the content of trade/graphic novel comes anywhere close to what is on screen you can see boost in sales. One of these days comics companies will restructure some to take advantage of this phenomena.

To my knowledge, Watchmen, WandaVision and Invincible are the adaptations which gave comic books a significant bump.

As to the topic at hand:

-Has any of the DTV movies have had a corresponding toyline?

-What I got from Invincible's success is that Marvel has almost completely dominated the 'Family Friendly Superhero Movie/Show' outing but other companies (or just mostly Amazon Prime in this case) is able to compete by releasing ultra violent, satirical takes on superheroes that goes in directions that they know Marvel won't go in. The amount of times I've seen people online in non superhero related communities and videos bringing up The Boys or sharing that Invincible memes along with the casual mention of Marvel is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    To my knowledge, Watchmen, WandaVision and Invincible are the adaptations which gave comic books a significant bump.

As to the topic at hand:

-What I got from Invincible's success is that Marvel has almost completely dominated the 'Family Friendly Superhero Movie/Show' outing but other companies (or just mostly Amazon Prime in this case) is able to compete by releasing ultra violent, satirical takes on superheroes that goes in directions that they know Marvel won't go in. The amount of times I've seen people online in non superhero related communities and videos bringing up The Boys or sharing that Invincible memes along with the casual mention of Marvel is crazy.
    I don't recall Harley Quinn getting a toy line either, and that's a popular show, too.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

With this and Spiderverse it just begs to question why DC isnt investing in a "high budget" modern day JL animated series or animated movie. Im going to assume the DTVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    We are talking about animation arena, There is a proven process that works

A. Get out the source material(normally in trades or graphic novels), have it be popular with a core group and that buzz slightly reaches main stream
    B. Create an animated show and its big moments from the story create buzz that go main stream
    C. The source material gets a big rise because of the animated show and does well in sales
    D. Put out a high quality animated movie from key parts of the source material and it does well in the box office

The being able to put out a movie and it has actually impact on the box office is new phenomena for anime. I was just bringing up a simple point that stuff like Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball Super and My Hero Academia are now putting out movies that are having an impact at the box office. I don't know why we don't have a Superman, Batman and Justice League animated show that can push animated movies and comic sales.

Invincible is 2, 3,6, 8, 17 ,19, 22, 44 on Amazon Best selling graphic novels and last week some of lower ones where higher on the list. My Hero Academia movie did 27 million at movie theaters which does not feel like a lot but for context the last Justice League animated movie made 5 million in dvd sales.

I am just pointing out all those DC animated movies that went straight to VoD/DVD, If they were package right we might be looking at Superman or Batman animated movie making 450 million dollars. And they would be making a ton on graphic novel/trade sales as well.
    Correction the last JL animated movie made 5 million between the period of May 24 2020 to July 5 2020

https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Just...ab=video-sales

I do however agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

As to the topic at hand:

The direct to video movies do have corresponding toylines. I have figures from JLD, Son of Batman, Red Son and Gotham by Gaslight.

I don't know if ALL of them do but a lot do.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    With this and Spiderverse it just begs to question why DC isnt investing in a "high budget" modern day JL animated series or animated movie. Im going to assume the DTVs.
    I don't recall Harley Quinn getting a toy line either, and that's a popular show, too.
    It depends on what the contract a show or movie has. Some show need toys for their budget and others don't. Like Family Guy and Fox shows.

The Simpson held one for 16 waves and could have done 17 and STILL could do a toyline.

Static Shock never got toys either and only Digimon had higher ratings.

But is just a show that got renewed and many shows yearly get renewed.
    Those shows have to be renewed rather early to give studios time to animate everything.
    Also some take longer to get renewals because x number of episodes have already been made. King of the Hill and some of Adult Swim say hi.

It's crazy how Invincible pushed people's interest to buy and read the comics. HC collection and the Compendiums are selling like hotcakes.
    When you have material for folks to buy-that tends to happen.

You should have saw Black Panther and the almost 3 year dominance in trade sales after that movie. It was EVERYTHING Black Panther including the Coates era and BP The Crew & World of Wakanda.

This is why folks scream about putting out material even if it's a mini for those shows or movies. You are going to make that money back.

Yes they do but not always under the title of that DTV movie.

They might do figures in the main line. Lets say Dc Universe toyline will toss out New Frontier Hal Jordan versus a line called New Frontier. Just to save money in packaging.