Default Apparently Superman would have dominated the Marvel Universe

Over in Marvel's Heroes Reborn, we're seeing a world where the Avengers never existed and the Squadron Supreme became their world's premiere superhero team.

spoilers

Superman's stand-in, Hyperion, has been the main focus of the first two issues. So far he's taken out Dr. Doom with Juggernaut's strength, killed Galactus without breaking a sweat, crushed Ultron like he was made of tinfoil, beat Gladiator and the Legion of...I mean the Imperial Guard, and took out the Hulk in few panels.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more of an uproar from Marvel fans.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It's Marvel, there's always some kind of twisted catch. Marvel has, what, something like five Superman allegories?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more of an uproar from Marvel fans.
    Probably because it is alternate reality that doesn't really matter.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Isn't void/sentry capable of ending marvel universe?I wish superman had such a form.That's dope.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It's Marvel, there's always some kind of twisted catch. Marvel has, what, something like five Superman allegories?
    Hyperion, Thor, Sentry, Blue Marvel and Gladiator spring to mind. So at least five.

Hickman's Hyperion was the same way; well beyond any of the other Avengers except (arguably) Thor and the Starbrand. Been a while since I read it, but I think Hickman's Hyperion also took down Hulk with little problem. But that never made the rest of the team feel pointless, and Hyperion was never a boring character who could crush every problem with ease.

Shame DC can't treat Clark with the same kind of respect. Though I didn't read the short-lived Hyperion solo that followed Hickman's run so I can't speak for that.

And I'm not surprised if nobody is complaining about the Heroes Reborn stuff; alternate timelines tend to get a free pass for that sorta thing, and I'm not reading this but isn't the point of it that someone has screwed with the Avengers' history and they're not as capable/powerful as they were? I imagine a lot of people are giving Hyperion a free pass right now because of the nature of the altered timeline, and the fact that the bad guy gets to stomp the hero/es before getting defeated in round 2.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Hyperion, Thor, Sentry, Blue Marvel and Gladiator spring to mind. So at least five.
    There is also a character in a Spider-man arc (Ethan Embry, I think) , the original version of a character called the Aquarian, and the Nazi Master Man,

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I enjoyed the first issue of Heroes Reborn for what it was--Ed McGuinness drawing an ersatz JLA pitted against amalgamized Marvel baddies.

On that front, it delivered.

While Hyperion was able to physically dominate the Marvel characters, his overall portrayal still seemed like a shot at Superman. He clearly has a narrow far right nationalistic world view. It’s playing up the DKR stereotype that pretty much destroyed Superman. The naive flag waiver who is out to protect real red blooded Americans from trouble makers.

From issue 2, “I don’t have time to debate you “science” Reed. I deal in cold, hard American truths.”

Nothing in Heroes Reborn represents the "real" Marvel, So I don't see why any Marvel fan would be upset at what is happening. Let Marvel borrow Superman for couple months and he does that in the real marvel then fans would have hissy fit.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-17-2021 at 10:18 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Nothing in Heroes Reborn represent sthe real Marvel, So I don't see why any Marvel fan would be upset at what is happening. Let Marvel borrow Superman for couple months and he does that in the real marvel then fans would have hissy fit.
    Isn't "What ifs" marvel universe?sorta?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    While Hyperion was able to physically dominate the Marvel characters, his overall portrayal still seemed like a shot at Superman. He clearly has a narrow far right nationalistic world view. It’s playing up the DKR stereotype that pretty much destroyed Superman. The naive flag waiver who is out to protect real red blooded Americans from trouble makers.

From issue 2, “I don’t have time to debate you “science” Reed. I deal in cold, hard American truths.”
    If true, that's pretty frustrating. Superman's a lot more of a progressive leftist, or a bleeding heart liberal, nine times out of ten. Really irritating to see his good natured love of country twisted into something more thoughtlessly nationalist and xenophobic.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    If true, that's pretty frustrating. Superman's a lot more of a progressive leftist, or a bleeding heart liberal, nine times out of ten. Really irritating to see his good natured love of country twisted into something more thoughtlessly nationalist and xenophobic.
    Exactly, it's the one thing they all take from TDKR and use for evil Supermen, however, it misses the point of Miller's Superman. In TDKR Superman seemed to see politicians as spiteful children but had to at some point bend the knee to be allowed to continue saving the Earth. It is heavily implied that the government did something really awful to end the super heroes and that if he stops it will happen again. Bruce's re-emergence is forcing his hand and threatening to bring that awful thing about.

However it's much easier to just see is as Superman turned ultra-nationalistic and turned into a government lapdog.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And I'm not surprised if nobody is complaining about the Heroes Reborn stuff; alternate timelines tend to get a free pass for that sorta thing,
    And yet people bemoan Injustice nearly daily as if it were the mainline continuity...

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Exactly, it's the one thing they all take from TDKR and use for evil Supermen, however, it misses the point of Miller's Superman. In TDKR Superman seemed to see politicians as spiteful children but had to at some point bend the knee to be allowed to continue saving the Earth. It is heavily implied that the government did something really awful to end the super heroes and that if he stops it will happen again. Bruce's re-emergence is forcing his hand and threatening to bring that awful thing about.

However it's much easier to just see is as Superman turned ultra-nationalistic and turned into a government lapdog.
    DKR Superman in general is a good example of trying to work within the system when you know that system ain't that great, but you don't see any alternatives.