Default Captain America vs Domino

Movie versions of both.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

The arena seems like a really bad place to be for Domino. There's nothing for Steve to trip on or other environmental mishaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The arena seems like a really bad place to be for Domino. There's nothing for Steve to trip on or other environmental mishaps.
    Would it trigger and make him trip on his own feet or drop his shield, is the question though.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Would it trigger and make him trip on his own feet or drop his shield, is the question though.
    That, or his own circulatory system slightly malfunctioning, neuron synapses firing, or hell, even genes being copied incorrectly during mitosis... molecules misaligning... anything that could left up to chance could potentially be subject to "bad luck", thereby giving Domino just enough of a window to tag him with bullets.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I detest luck powers in Rumbles, as they can basically be played as 'free win' cards.

What's the most impressive thing Domino's luck powers have done? And what kind of stuff do they manage to do, consistently?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I detest luck powers in Rumbles, as they can basically be played as 'free win' cards.
    While i agree, there is only so much luck can do in the khazan arena. Even high level luck like the sword Coinspinner has it’s limits. Though in scenarios they do tend to become i win buttons.

MCU Domino was a fair bit more broken than her comic counterpart. Shortlist:

- guy points gun at her, it miss fires.
    - is able to 'drive' an armored vehicle while having an extended fight with Cable in the back of an armored truck.
    - is able to excape grapples and otherwise slap up Cable in their fight.
    - can hit what she needs to hit to successfully stop Cable with a machine gun fired blind not once, but twice.
    - survives the armored vehicle getting ragdolled by being launched from the wreckage while avoiding concrete debris, toward a giant inflatable.

Only thing she wasn't sure her luck powers could handle was a fight with Juggernaut.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Ugh, bleah. Luck powers. They just encourage lousy writing as well.

'The luck powers are unbeatable until they aren't!'
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Ugh, bleah. Luck powers. They just encourage lousy writing as well.

'The luck powers are unbeatable until they aren't!'
    Well the joke in Deadpool 2 is that the powers are stupid/broken. Deadpool spends most of their screen time together, talking crap about how dumb luck powers are.

Doesn't change how broken she was in the film, mind.

Arx Inosaan

MCU Domino was a fair bit more broken than her comic counterpart. Shortlist:

- guy points gun at her, it miss fires.
    - is able to 'drive' an armored vehicle while having an extended fight with Cable in the back of an armored truck.
    - is able to excape grapples and otherwise slap up Cable in their fight.
    - can hit what she needs to hit to successfully stop Cable with a machine gun fired blind not once, but twice.
    - survives the armored vehicle getting ragdolled by being launched from the wreckage while avoiding concrete debris, toward a giant inflatable.

Only thing she wasn't sure her luck powers could handle was a fight with Juggernaut.
    That's the thing. It doesn't help her just beat someone she's outmatched by, which I expect she is here. I mean, Steve is no Juggernaut, but nothing indicates this version of Cain couldn't be taken out by a stroke like people are suggesting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    That's the thing. It doesn't help her just beat someone she's outmatched by, which I expect she is here. I mean, Steve is no Juggernaut, but nothing indicates this version of Cain couldn't be taken out by a stroke like people are suggesting here.
    Uh... he had a municipal power-line shoved up his butt and was submerged for something like 10 minutes. It's safer to say she'd deal with Cap (considering she handled Cable) fine.

I'm not buying the stroke argument myself, but when she can slip a grapple because her luck makes the other guy let go/relax his grip and she triggers weapons malfunctions/prevents them casually.

I dunno?

Arx Inosaan

Uh... he had a municipal power-line shoved up his butt and was submerged for something like 10 minutes.

Yes, by Colossus and the X-Teens, not Domino. I don't even think she was present at that point. Even if she was and her luck tilted the odds in their favor, getting lucky when you have a power line, a fountain, and three powerful mutants is just not a relevant example for her in the arena.

It's safer to say she'd deal with Cap (considering she handled Cable) fine.
    Just went back and watched her fight with Cable. It is impressive, but it involves her using various environmental factors and weapons she picked up (not standard equipment) and she STILL seems to be on the losing end of it. She gets bailed out by Wade (of course) but she ends the fight on the ground about to get shot. Also, I'm blanking on feats for Cable, is he comparable to Cap?

I'm not buying the stroke argument myself, but when she can slip a grapple because her luck makes the other guy let go/relax his grip and she triggers weapons malfunctions/prevents them casually.
    The movie doesn't make her unbeatable in hand to hand though. Again, she is on the losing end of that fight, with someone less powerful (to my memory) in hand to hand, in the sort of setting that is perfect for her luck powers to come into play. Otherwise, she beats some mooks.

I suppose a gun is a big equalizer if she just needs a lucky shot, and I look back and confirm she carries her own as standard equipment. So she could win that way. Hand to hand I think she loses hard though.

Oh no, no. We don't really disagree.

I feel like if Cap punched her in the face, she'd die. Or at the very least not be able to do much of anything to prevent repeated punches from that point. Nor was I implying Juggeruant could lose BECAUSE he had all that happen to him; was more implying he'd ignore a lucky 'stroke out' by virtue of surviving/tanking what he did.

Like, my argument is that Cap isn't going to really get close enough before she wings a lucky shot. Which is stupid, but again, her power is stupid.

Arx Inosaan

Oh no, no. We don't really disagree.

I feel like if Cap punched her in the face, she'd die. Or at the very least not be able to do much of anything to prevent repeated punches from that point. Nor was I implying Juggeruant could lose BECAUSE he had all that happen to him; was more implying he'd ignore a lucky 'stroke out' by virtue of surviving/tanking what he did.

Like, my argument is that Cap isn't going to really get close enough before she wings a lucky shot. Which is stupid, but again, her power is stupid.
    Yeah, I buy that. Probably with an improbable ricochet. A lot of my initial view was shaped by thinking she didn't actually have guns as standard equipment, since she's lucky enough to find one if she needs one. But she's definitely parachuting in with guns in the holster in the movie.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 05-17-2021 at 02:44 PM.