All-New Member

Default What's the difference between Waid's approach writing Daredevil compared to Bendis's or Brubaker's

I had this topic up and was looking for it, when I just saw the forums rule that the whole forum was rebooted by the owner.

I hope there are new members that can share their opinion about this. Thank you.

Bendis had a noir street level approach, with longer storylines.

Brubaker seemed to like sending Daredevil to unfamiliar places. If there was a genre, it was more action-oriented.

Waid has Daredevil as a superhero, and prefers shorter stories. There may be mega-arcs, but it's typical for a bad guy behind the A-plot to get beaten up in 1-3 issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Granted I haven't read a lot of the Bendis and Brubaker run but I have read 95% of the Waid run and from what I've gathered the big difference is the tone of the story.

Waid, especially in the beginning, was a lot more light hearted and superhero-y. You are reading about a more "happy" Daredevil (for the time being). The tone of the story changes as time goes on but I don't believe it hits the grim and darkness of the Bendis and Brubaker runs.

I could be completely wrong however.

Waid Daredevil is a must-read from start to finish, IMO.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Waid's run has been plenty dark between the lines, but he doesn't beat you over the head with it.

All-New Member

I just read Waid's first volume. What struck me very interesting was the art.

BANNED

What I think is interesting about Waid's Daredevil is that he has taken a very beaten and depressed character and using his own story of depression (Waid's not Daredevil) has tried to give a realistic spin on the character without erasing his past. Waid's Daredevil (as Waid himself explained) is not "happy" but a person that suffers of depression that tries to take life with a smile also at the cost of forcing himself, like depressed people often does (depression is chronic, you learn to live with it). This concept allowed Waid to write more lighthearted and funny stories without sacrificing drama. Foggy's cancer or the way Bullseye and Ikari make Daredevil feel scared and impotent are not less dramatic that "yet another love interest killed by Bullseye" while avoiding the "this guy has to suffer and his life will forever be damned and unlucky" beat.

Bendis and Brubaker runs were cool but, especially if you read them in collections, really heavy and dark. People near Matt dies or ends in asylum all the time. Also, Bendis and Brubaker kept following Daredevil's tradition of very noir, dark stories that started with Miller and almost never stopped, Waid finally broke the chain.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    What I think is interesting about Waid's Daredevil is that he has taken a very beaten and depressed character and using his own story of depression (Waid's not Daredevil) has tried to give a realistic spin on the character without erasing his past. Waid's Daredevil (as Waid himself explained) is not "happy" but a person that suffers of depression that tries to take life with a smile also at the cost of forcing himself, like depressed people often does (depression is chronic, you learn to live with it). This concept allowed Waid to write more lighthearted and funny stories without sacrificing drama. Foggy's cancer or the way Bullseye and Ikari make Daredevil feel scared and impotent are not less dramatic that "yet another love interest killed by Bullseye" while avoiding the "this guy has to suffer and his life will forever be damned and unlucky" beat.

Bendis and Brubaker runs were cool but, especially if you read them in collections, really heavy and dark. People near Matt dies or ends in asylum all the time. Also, Bendis and Brubaker kept following Daredevil's tradition of very noir, dark stories that started with Miller and almost never stopped, Waid finally broke the chain.

That's a good list of differences. I admit the light-hearted tone and the art were what drew me into Waid's Daredevil. I loved Pablo Rivera's art.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Waid's run has been plenty dark between the lines, but he doesn't beat you over the head with it.
    Yup the evil was creeping in the background instead of in your face for much of Waid's first volume, and the revelation of a master manipulator Bullseye was quite smart and very welcome change of pace for him.

Looking forward to see where things go over in Frisco.

"Not warmed-over Frank Miller" pretty well covers it.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

There is something about DD that seems to bring out some of the best of many writers.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    There is something about DD that seems to bring out some of the best of many writers.
    I completely agree.

It's quite interesting when you really think about it...

I really hated Bendis' story. It felt rehashed from the Fall from Grace story and that wasn't even a good story to swipe from. Add in the attitude was off for most of the run with him TOO dark and I really had to sludge my way through it.

Brubaker I liked better, Mostly because the personality was more in line with daredevil, and while not a GREAT run... it ran well with where Bendis left it. Wasn't much to be done there...

About 2/3 of the way through brubaker I ended up dropping comics for financial reasons. never heard how that ended, though I did look up Shadowland when it was over...

Waid seemed fun again. I didn't see many of them, but I liked what I saw. More Superhero, less angst, still dealing with the stuff that came before, but not letting it drag the story down.

I never did hear how the Foggy Cancer thing ended though... I heard a new run has DD in California... so what happened there?!?!? Did they kill him?