Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Corporate mergers are bad - but this strikes me as better than the alternative. AT&T has been a terrible fit: these phone company folks don't seem to know squat about making movies and TV shows. So many talented people fired, so many great projects shut down or let to rot because AT&T didn't care about things that worked/had a legacy/had a devoted fanbase - because they were convinced they could pull something more profitable out of their butts later!

At least Discovery is showbiz people.
    Which "great" projects we talking about here? Because I wasn't sold on The New Gods or Aquaman spinoff The Trench.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Seems like Sony’s profit came from television listening and home entertainment, not from it’s film division. Sony actually made money by not having theatrical films to advertise for.
    Home entertainment driven by TV and film as we see. And every studio didn't have films to advertise for. Sony would have loved to not had a pandemic for theater business because in 2019 this is what they reported profits wise from it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...llion-1294408/

Sony is taking a bigger $$$ pie with streaming content , Disney's deal and more they extended. It would take a huge epic deal to get out of the TV/Film business right now for them. In the early 90's before they become what we see now Sony paid $3.4 billion (which many thought they were insane to pay that price then if you read Hit & Run) in 1989 for Columbia Pictures.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

I just reading between the lines. The article is basically saying Sony made a bigger profit because they didn’t release any films. Maybe the Sony PR people should have been more discreet.

So keep seeing people saying DC comics isn't going with Warnermedia. Is that gonna matter at all? Seen people here say that while they are splitting the company it's mostly the same Shareholders anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So keep seeing people saying DC comics isn't going with Warnermedia. Is that gonna matter at all? Seen people here say that while they are splitting the company it's mostly the same Shareholders anyway.
    Where are people saying DC isn't part of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    When it comes to DC, people will just outright lie and spread fake news (Just to clarify, I'm not saying anyone here is lying, they are doing it on Twitter .) Like, they legit said Superman and Batman are part of this merger (in that order too!).
    Last edited by Pinsir; 05-18-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Not on here but I've seen people on Twitter and YouTube saying DC Comics isn't going to discovery. They would stay with At&T while WarnerMedia went. I quick Google search shows me I don't see any legit sources for this. Iono if people are making it up or some person said they had a supposed scoop and dummies ran with it.

If that was the case though would it matter for the movies. I mean it would matter for DC comics but i wonder if it would effect the film and TV side at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Not on here but I've seen people on Twitter and YouTube saying DC Comics isn't going to discovery. They would stay with At&T while WarnerMedia went. I quick Google search shows me I don't see any legit sources for this. Iono if people are making it up or some person said they had a supposed scoop and dummies ran with it.

If that was the case though would it matter for the movies. I mean it would matter for DC comics but i wonder if it would effect the film and TV side at all.
    I mean, I don't see AT&T getting rid of all other media to get out of the game...but hang onto DC. Why give up everything media but DC? I think that's unlikely.

Astonishing Member

Which "great" projects we talking about here? Because I wasn't sold on The New Gods or Aquaman spinoff The Trench.
    You can make the argument that DC/WB had a lot of fat they needed to trim, which they did. It's not like the company was rolling along before they bought it.

FilmStruck, Drama Fever (sp?), the staff at Warner Archive, MAD Magazine, Vertigo, gutting of DC comics staff, all the long-term employees across multiple fields let go.... etc. Things with legacy or devoted fanbases, folks with experience, all thwarted because they wanted to put all their eggs in the most profitable basket instead if trusting the resiliency of their diverse output.

Even if these ventures weren't the most profitable for the company, who knows what spark from any of them couldn't become the next big thing in the future?

Wondering if Warner Bro Interactive is attractive enough for Microsoft to acquire? Maybe swing exclusive Batman for Xbox like what Spider-man is doing for Sony?

Possible. M$ might be able to spare some change for WBI.

Fantastic Member

It is officially announced, that the company will be renamed WARNER BROS. DISCOVERY.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dcfanpal View Post
    It is officially announced, that the company will be renamed WARNER BROS. DISCOVERY.
    I liked this name, I’m surprised they kept “BROS.”

Quote Originally Posted by dcfanpal View Post
    Everyone was predicting something like DiscoveryWarner, and yet WB got top billing, neat!

Everyone was predicting something like DiscoveryWarner, and yet WB got top billing, neat!
    Yeah, I speculated in an earlier post that they would call the company "DiscoverWarner." It's not a bad name, and it sounds like a call-to-action, which might have been good from a marketing standpoint.

However, I, too, am glad about the new name for 2 reasons:

1. Warner gets first position -- something it didn't have during the TimeWarner days.

2. They added "Bros." back to the company name -- something that hasn't been part of the parent company name since 1972 when it became Warner Communications! I think this was a great move on their part because it highlights that the entertainment/movie making business is front and center in the company -- something that might please Hollywood types who were put off by the more corporate view of the company that AT&T had these last few years.

There's definitely a lot of bridges for this company to rebuild in Hollywood, and now that the new company will be comprised entirely of entertainment & media assets, they might have a better than even chance of rebuilding them.

Oh, and maybe they'll ditch the simplified version of the WB shield that AT&T created that no one liked.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 06-02-2021 at 04:07 PM.