View Poll Results: I stopped enjoying reading Spider-Man comics when...

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ditko left

1 1.11%
  • Marvel Time began

0 0%
  • Gwen Stacy died

0 0%
  • the symbiote costume debuted

0 0%
  • Image Comics was founded

3 3.33%
  • Heroes Reborn started

3 3.33%
  • BND happened

40 44.44%
  • SpOck appeared

3 3.33%
  • Slott left

8 8.89%
  • hell froze over (still liking it).

32 35.56%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Not listed - I stopped enjoying just now with Spencer run. Last read was 62 after being onboard since maybe early 1980.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

BND would be the closest, but really it was JMS's editors that took the joy from me before BND (Sins Past, The Other, OMD).
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Even though some people haven't expressed their dislike in the poll, because of a lack of options, we still see 64% of the fans stopped enjoying reading Spider-Man comics at some point, versus just a 36% who still enjoy it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Even though some people haven't expressed their dislike in the poll, because of a lack of options, we still see 64% of the fans stopped enjoying reading Spider-Man comics at some point, versus just a 36% who still enjoy it.
    It's hard to take it seriously sometimes.

Sins Past to OMD killed it for me. Read Spidey more on than off since I was a kid in the 70's and that little period pretty much ruined Pete for me.

Haven't bought or read a book since. Just the occasional back issue.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    OMD in all honesty. My love has never fully returned. I still enjoy Spider-Man's adventures on some level but I almost feel as if my Spidey died the day his continuity basically ceased to progress in a linear logical fashion. The new guy is nice and all but he's not my Spidey, not really.
    I voted Hell Freezes Over as I am a Spidey fan still, but OMD really hurt my interest. It was forced and badly written. It sent the message than any story progress for Spidey would be temporary with only artificial appearances of growth or long term change. It gutted the heart of the Spidey franchise. MJ being drawn back into Peter's life over time helped, but it hasn't been enough to wipe out the damage OMD did.

... when he got replaced/rendered impotent by Venom.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... when he got replaced/rendered impotent by Venom.
    When and which comics was this?

Incredible Member

I stopped buying ASM after OMD because I just felt the level of importance they placed on Peter being single was absolutely ridiculous and obviously Peter making a deal with Mephisto to get to that status quo was idiotic and I just decided to more or less move on from ASM from that point on.

Once Spider-Man beyond commences I will buy the book for the first time since OMD as I've always been a massive Ben Reilly fan and want to see if Marvel can do right by Ben for once but after Beyond wraps up and Peter returns I'll bow out of ASM once again.

When Ben Reilly took over as Spider-Man in ASM #545.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The first time was the Clone Saga, the end of Maximum Cloneage specifically. Weird it's not on the list. I came back though, BND was a lot of fun.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

started to hate it during the JMS run the other sins pasted one more day just awful storytelling.

I tend to have a very love-hate relationship with Spidey comics lol. I think many of the runs I adore also have pretty low spots. I love JMS Spidey and Jenkins Spidey and those both hit very enjoyably fulfilling highs and also have some good clunkers. I'm not as big of a fan of Slott Spidey but even still he's got some great stories in there. Nick Spencer's current run also had some just fun Spidey tales that I thoroughly enjoyed and it's also gotten pretty frustrating at times.

I think most of the Spidey runs out here in the last 20 years run this gamut of being all over the place in terms of quality, honestly.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 09-07-2021 at 05:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I tend to have a very love-hate relationship with Spidey comics lol. I think many of the runs I adore also have pretty low spots. I love JMS Spidey and Jenkins Spidey and those both hit very enjoyably fulfilling highs and also have some good clunkers. I'm not as big of a fan of Slott Spidey but even still he's got some great stories in there. Nick Spencer's current run also had some just fun Spidey tales that I thoroughly enjoyed and it's also gotten pretty frustrating at times.

I think most of the Spidey runs out here in the last 20 years run this gamut of being all over the place in terms of quality, honestly.
    We've had internet and social media over the last 20 years and I think the internet the way you cover issues-by-issues means that while some things get memory-holed, paradoxically people remember the grudges and niggling and nagging issues right through. There's no forgiveness and forgetfulness because it's easy to bring up old grudges and feelings.

You have clickbait driven articles and listicles daily spouting "Most controversial Spider-Man stories", "Worst Spider-Man stories" and then every now and then someone will get creative and go, "OMD is not so bad"/"OMIT is not so bad"/"Sins Past is not so bad"/"Superior Spider-Man is not so bad"/"Alpha is not so bad" and "Brand New Day is not so bad" and all that engenders is replay of old debates and so on.

As such that makes it harder to evaluate Spider-Man runs recently than before.

Incredible Member

I started buying Spider-Man comics during right at the beginning of the Clone Saga. After they killed off Ben, I believe I continued to collect it regular (Amazing and Sensational) because I had like, three year subscriptions left for those titles that were delivered to my mail box and I bought Spectucular and Peter Parker from the newsstands at BooksAMillion book stores. I stopped collecting 616 when they relaunched Amazing and Peter Parker back at issue 1.

I didn’t buy Spider-Man regular again until Civil War and Marvel Knights imprint, but it was off and on.

I didn’t buy Spider-Man regular again until Brand New Day. Stayed with it the entire time, since. I dropped collecting it… maybe 10-15 issues before Slott left the book. I picked up the first 10-15 issues of the latest run. I’ll be picking up Amazing again with issue 75, to see Ben’s story, and up to issue 900. Maybe I’ll stick around to issue 1000, after this current arch to see where it goes.

I’ve got a so-so love/hate relationship with the title. There have been periods where it had just been boring, and I felt that I was collecting it out of necessity. A habit. But I never truly abandon the title. But it does get boring, as Spider-Man, as iconic as the character and concept is, is stagnant. I think Marvel has placed the flagship Spider-Man title/character in the place of Archie Andrew’s from Archie Comics. The illusion of change and character growth, with only so far, before the status quo is reset. I think that’s why I have grown bored of it, off and on.

I really enjoyed Peter’s progression into a teacher, back in the day. When they removed that, I think that was the Downslide of the character being “put in place”. I didn’t even mind the marriage being dissolved, because I kinda saw what they were doing with Peter. With a single, ageless Peter, they can recycle the character over and over. His villains will change/evolve, but he and his Main cast (Aunt May as the sole one) never will.