View Poll Results: I stopped enjoying reading Spider-Man comics when...

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ditko left

1 1.11%
  • Marvel Time began

0 0%
  • Gwen Stacy died

0 0%
  • the symbiote costume debuted

0 0%
  • Image Comics was founded

3 3.33%
  • Heroes Reborn started

3 3.33%
  • BND happened

40 44.44%
  • SpOck appeared

3 3.33%
  • Slott left

8 8.89%
  • hell froze over (still liking it).

32 35.56%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Just one page of the thread, and already I'm counting more additional options than the maximum allowed by CBR polls. My suggestion, if you actually want to take part in the poll, choose the closest point, in the options given, to the exact issue with which you stopped enjoying the character.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I dropped it during JMS’s run, but picked it back up with BND.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I dropped it during JMS’s run, but picked it back up with BND.
    Are you reading Spencers run

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I definitely still love Spidey.

I don't know why but when I think of the various Spider-Man titles; I treat them as pure popcorn fun and crazy characterization or bonkers ass plot twists are par for the course.

It may be because Spidey has always been geared towards light and fun storytelling (much to the chagrin of a majority of Spider fans) I never became "upset" with whatever direction the writers took him.

When Brand New Day happened, I never truly understood why people were up in arms about (I understand now please don't @ me); but Spidey has always been enjoyable to me be it the writing or simply the art.

But if other titles like X-Men or Batman did the twists that Spidey did; I would be immediately turned off.

Never stopped, not even in the face of armageddon.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I'm gonna say BND though I stopped reading about 2 years prior already I wasn't happy with how the MU/XU was going and from what little I picked up I then bowed out completely because of BND.

As much as I was upset they killed PP I didn't think Sp0ck was too bad.

Mighty Member

Enjoyment wise, One More Day to One Moment in Time I consider to be the most useless period in the history of the character.
    There were some good ideas and scenes, and even a couple of arcs I would consider pretty good. But overall, it was Marvel trying to give us something we didn't want.
    However Big Time to Superior was actually, pretty damn good.
    They were certainly high points compared to BND's low points.
    Then post Superior brought things down a lot for me, to the point I stopped reading the book.

However I rejoined with Spencer and while it isn't the best run in the world, I think it's enjoyable for what it is.
    I don't know how much I'll go back to it. But it's fun

Clone Saga's not on the list???

OMD. Haven't been able to muster the same level of enthusiasm since. Used to collect both Batman and Spider-Man almost religiously when I was younger. There have been stuff that piqued my interest; Spectacular Spider-Man, Into the Spider-verse, the MCU Spider-Man movies but not to the same level as before. I'll be over here with my Spider-Girl volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Just one page of the thread, and already I'm counting more additional options than the maximum allowed by CBR polls. My suggestion, if you actually want to take part in the poll, choose the closest point, in the options given, to the exact issue with which you stopped enjoying the character.
    "Other (Please Specify)" works as an option as well.

My own answer is a bit messy.

I like much of Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man, even if I'd generally rate it below the best of JMS or Slott.

I do sometimes get the sense that he's trying to reverse the last thirteen years of the comics, and taking a really long time to do it.
    Hunted was 12 issues to kill off Kraven and replace him with a son, a status quo that didn't work the previous times it was tried.
    The Sins Remembered/ Kindred saga took twenty issues to make Harry Osborn a bad guy again.

On the other hand, King's Ransom did have a satisfying payoff. Jonah's new deal with Spidey is kinda fun.

Even if I thought Nick Spencer was a much worse writer, and didn't care for the artists, that wouldn't prevent me from enjoying the next run.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

When John Romita Sr. came in.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    "Other (Please Specify)" works as an option as well.
    It does to a point, although I don't see how someone who can't take an approximation by date, would accept an all-encompassing option. It looks like everyone wants their own choice listed, which simply isn't possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Isn't that the same as "when Ditko left"?

yes, but no, ditko had already run out of steam and stopped caring, ideally his successor would not have been his antithesis
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Heyo. I saw Erik Larsen tweeted today that nothing Spider-Man will ever top what Ditko and Lee did, not any idea anybody else has for a random story, and the replies were filled with people saying "but John Romita Sr perfected it! but we like your Spidey!" and he was like no. I know Alan Moore is of the same opinion that the only Spider-Man is Ditko's. I think I can see where they're all coming from, because when Romita comes on he pretty's it up all around in short order whereas under Ditko it was something counter to the norm stylistically. For better or worse it was the prettied up Romita style Spider-Man that was mainstream marketed for decades after and is predominately what people saw. Not throwing shade at Romita or his contributions, just observations.

Spectacular Member

Since 1984 I read it when I like the stories, I don't if I don't like them. This doesn't affect my appreciation of the character whatsoever, because I know it's a fictional character with no agency and it's all fiction created by writers, sometime I connect with them sometimes I don't.