Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Xmen Monday 106

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yeah, I agree completely.

Yeah, sure, but how they are responding sometimes isn't good.
    They're only human.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    They're only human.
    Yes, and they aren't monsters for making a mistake, but I do think it is a mistake to respond that way.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    You don't say
    Wow! Just wow. Yeah, I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no justification for that kind of response to someone, I don't care what they said to him. I could never even imagine saying something like that to someone in real life or online. There should be a minimum standard of conduct for someone in the public eye and entertainment business. I truly don't understand how some stranger on the internet can so get under a person's skin that they would respond that way. And yeah, the same goes for Remender's comment as well.

EDIT: And no, I wouldn't want him fired or something over it, and I enjoy some of his writing and am looking forward to his X-Men, but sheesh. I just can't believe people are actually defending this kind of response.
    Last edited by thjan; 05-18-2021 at 12:57 PM.

There is a desire to believe these people are better then the fans. Often fans become creators. The comic industry as it is isn't a venue one pursues without having deep knowledge, experience and feelings for the medium. We expect them to be professional and behave better. Sometimes the old adage that if you put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig fits. You are a fool to expect it to behave as anything else then a pig. Witch isn't a dig at creators but more a comment on the difference between the two groups: fans and creators.

We can't know how a writer reasoned behind a decision in a story becasue we seldom get to know. Especially if it's a controversial one that hasn't been recieved well. So we speculate. What else can we do? Lets say that a writer actually hates(A strong word I'm only using becasue it's often used in these conversations) a character. How do we know that? There is never a interview that states it because doing so would be harmful to their career in the eyes of Marvel and DC. Perhaps we get a crude joke sometime if the person feels safe enough to express that. We might get a story or scene who isn't doing the character a favor. We might get a rumour.
    Best case scenario we get a interview when the person no longer has any need or desire to keep themself in good favor with the industry and it's fans. Perhaps the person has had a falling out and is so embittered that they throw caution to the wind.

That are a lot of what if's.

For me it's seems more resonable to expect the group of creators to represent fandom more then not. Some creators have a shorter fuse then others. Some like trolling some fans. Say fans of a specific character even. Some have clear favorites they are dying to work on. Many have general positive feeling for the majority of X-men characters. Many don't dislike but might be more akin to neautral to some specific characters. They might stay clear of them becasue their personal style doesn't seem like a good fit. And so on.

It's resonable to expect if fans have characters they dislike/hate then some creators have the same.

Now even with that it's hard to tell how such feelings would influence the actual work. How editorial works in that regard. What we can look at is the work and see that some decisions regarding characters sure seem to steem from personal feelings. For some this might steem from subjective reasons. Other times we can look at the story. If the scene serves no greater goal then just to make the character look foolish. Yes I'm trying to be diplomatic with my choice of words here. Then why include that scene?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Wow! Just wow. Yeah, I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no justification for that kind of response to someone, I don't care what they said to him. I could never even imagine saying something like that to someone in real life or online. There should be a minimum standard of conduct for someone in the public eye and entertainment business. I truly don't understand how some stranger on the internet can so get under a person's skin that they would respond that way. And yeah, the same goes for Remender's comment as well.

EDIT: And no, I wouldn't want him fired or something over it, and I enjoy some of his writing and am looking forward to his X-Men, but sheesh. I just can't believe people are actually defending this kind of response.
    Why shouldn't they defended? If I'm constantly getting verbally attacked day in and day out you best believe I'm going to respond in kind.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Why shouldn't they defended? If I'm constantly getting verbally attacked day in and day out you best believe I'm going to respond in kind.
    Basically. If it's okay for the twice disgraced former president of the U.S to say whatever he wants to whoever he wants i hardly have a problem with someone clapping back. It fallls on the individual intelligence of others to react to the context of the situation and see how the consequences fall.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Basically. If it's okay for the twice disgraced former president of the U.S to say whatever he wants to whoever he wants i hardly have a problem with someone clapping back. It fallls on the individual intelligence of others to react to the context of the situation and see how the consequences fall.
    What if we don't like it at any level? What if we can understand why the writers feel that way, forgive them, but still say that they shouldn't behave that way? Do you think that's possible? I do.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

But why? How does that better the situation? It makes you no better than them and brings both sides to the same level. Why is it so hard to just ignore them or literally just block the person.

If I had the amazing fortune (not to say that it takes only luck) of getting to work on these characters, I'd feel grateful every day. If a social media thing were stressing me or ruining that attitude, I'd step away from it. I'd only come back if Marvel wanted me to promote a book and that's all I'd do. I think an individual should know themselves and if they see that they have a short fuse, they should avoid this stuff.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

You are assuming that the other person was a complete a-hole to him and we don't know abut the context

One time he threatened the carreer of a newbie penciller because he tweeted a bored gif to a tweet about X of swords that was tagged to Duggan.

Just had a dip through a month of Gerry Duggan's replies, and I wouldn't even bother having a Twitter if I were writing superhero comics today.

Just read the whole conversation, Gerry was right to say that. I don't even get why this is an issue. The same usual suspects

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    But why? How does that better the situation? It makes you no better than them and brings both sides to the same level. Why is it so hard to just ignore them or literally just block the person.
    Really, It's no more difficult for the person to whom he responded to address his ideas and concerns in a thoughtful, respectful manner. It goes both ways.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-18-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    If I had the amazing fortune (not to say that it takes only luck) of getting to work on these characters, I'd feel grateful every day. If a social media thing were stressing me or ruining that attitude, I'd step away from it. I'd only come back if Marvel wanted me to promote a book and that's all I'd do. I think an individual should know themselves and if they see that they have a short fuse, they should avoid this stuff.
    He is living the dream, block the trolls and have fun.

I can only imagine the comment was aimed at a certain user on these boards known to harrass writers on Twitter