Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default 2020 was so weird that the us government comes out and says ufos are real...

And no one bats an eye.

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

The 60 Minutes report was problematic. There are many skeptics of this Pentagon report. They did not talk to any of them.

Here is one.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7wj...ons-ufo-videos

And I don't put much stock in "experienced pilots" as being infallible. Pilots have been misidentifying objects since they took the air.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-17-2021 at 07:33 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Could be something to it. But that's a big deal if true, going to need more than some videos and eyewitness testimony. My question would be, if aliens do exist and they're visiting to what? study us, communicate, what? Why send brightly colored/flashing strobe-light covered vehicles, do some fancy maneuvers, then zip off into the night? If they want to observe us they could surely do so with powerful telescopes, likely from much farther away than we'd ever notice them. Or they could get up close and personal (including taking tissue/blood samples) with advance technology as small as our current nanotech. Again, never detect them. Much better than picking up some rednecks, probing all sorts of places, setting them back down with a wiped memory (but not so wiped they don't end up eventually remembering and sharing it with everyone who will listen), and zipping off into the night.

As a kid when I decided I was an atheist because nothing I was hearing at my (for what it's worth, Christian) place of worship made any sense to me I was briefly drawn to the UFO/Bigfoot/Loch Ness area of the Unexplained. Seemed as interesting, but a little more grounded in reality and less magical. What quickly drove me away was the clear desire by so many discussing the topic to interpret whatever "evidence" they came across as indisputable proof of whatever it was they wanted to believe. Maybe there's a good reason to have small tic-tac shaped craft/drones follow our aircraft, get themselves recorded playing peek-a-boo, then fly off. I choose to believe (absent evidence) that there's a better explanation. I'm ok with saying I don't know what it is.

Mick West has capably debunked *most* of these.

https://twitter.com/MickWest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Could be something to it. But that's a big deal if true, going to need more than some videos and eyewitness testimony. My question would be, if aliens do exist and they're visiting to what? study us, communicate, what? Why send brightly colored/flashing strobe-light covered vehicles, do some fancy maneuvers, then zip off into the night? If they want to observe us they could surely do so with powerful telescopes, likely from much farther away than we'd ever notice them. Or they could get up close and personal (including taking tissue/blood samples) with advance technology as small as our current nanotech. Again, never detect them. Much better than picking up some rednecks, probing all sorts of places, setting them back down with a wiped memory (but not so wiped they don't end up eventually remembering and sharing it with everyone who will listen), and zipping off into the night.

As a kid when I decided I was an atheist because nothing I was hearing at my (for what it's worth, Christian) place of worship made any sense to me I was briefly drawn to the UFO/Bigfoot/Loch Ness area of the Unexplained. Seemed as interesting, but a little more grounded in reality and less magical. What quickly drove me away was the clear desire by so many discussing the topic to interpret whatever "evidence" they came across as indisputable proof of whatever it was they wanted to believe. Maybe there's a good reason to have small tic-tac shaped craft/drones follow our aircraft, get themselves recorded playing peek-a-boo, then fly off. I choose to believe (absent evidence) that there's a better explanation. I'm ok with saying I don't know what it is.
    I forget who said it, but aliens are likely to be so different than humans, we're unlikely to be able to fathom each others' motives.

BANNED

Oh sure, I would just expect something like a hivemind/chemical communication like ants/non-humanoid/etc. kind of difference. Not "likes to play footsy with discovery for nearly 100 years, while lighting their craft up like a Christmas Tree and making it clear they can maneuver better than anything we have" odd motivation difference. To say nothing of crop circles, cattle mutilation, butt probes, abduction in general, etc. Makes for good stories (though if you've heard one), but doesn't make much sense. It's possible they're just pranksters, but again I think the simpler explanation is something like mistaken eyewitness accounts, made-up eyewitness accounts, and/or sightings of undisclosed experimental aircraft/technology.

This stupid "UFO report" is about to out how out-of-touch our military intelligence has been since the Rs kept undercutting the importance of said intelligence for the sake of political theater.

Not going to be a good look and we will wind up dumping MORE money into the military complex to "fix" something.

Something that was mismanaged for years.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Nope, don't care. Its swamp gas.

Looking forward to when the Nessie conversations come back into vogue, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I'm not sure what's going on here.

If there is extraterrestrial life observing Earth, this could be when we would find evidence of it. The Fermi Paradox of why we haven't been able to find definitive proof is an unsettling question.

There is a conspiratorial question about whether the government is slowly leaking information to make us more comfortable with a big reveal.

Or it could just be that the media has figured out that this can get decent ratings without damaging credibility, if they do it carefully enough.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on here.

If there is extraterrestrial life observing Earth, this could be when we would find evidence of it. The Fermi Paradox of why we haven't been able to find definitive proof is an unsettling question.

There is a conspiratorial question about whether the government is slowly leaking information to make us more comfortable with a big reveal.

Or it could just be that the media has figured out that this can get decent ratings without damaging credibility if they do it carefully enough.
    Why would the pentagon play along with the media's quest to get views? I think they are some kind of Russian or Chinese spy drones, and the military is leaking this stuff to low-key threaten them. All of this is out in the open to say, "We see what you are doing knock it off!"

At best?

Everything they've got kind of amounts to a "Well, Maybe?..."

Even if you are spotting them the benefit of the doubt.

Bottom line, too many Pilots, including Military Pilots, were reporting seeing 'Something' that they couldn't explain. The government isn't looking into little green men in space ships, they are looking into unexplained phenomena so that Pilots won't be thought of as 'Crazy' and also to remove the risk that these unexplained objects might cause accidents in midair.

Here are some other formerly unexplained Phenomena that eventually were explained:

Explaining the unexplained: 10 famous mysteries solved
    Last edited by Tami; 05-17-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

Remember UFO don’t necessarily mean aliens from another planet.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    And no one bats an eye.
    I didn't watch this one but CBS and specifically "60 Minutes" has been doing garbage like that since the 1980s.

Report on the possibility of UFOs, the 1980s.

Dan Rather: You can see there is some sort of energy trail behind the mysterious ship. "Scientists" [Apparently, vague, unidentified scientists] cannot identify what this trail is".

Friend of mine watching: Oh, is he talking about the wire running through that model ship, the one that they're blurring the picture so you can't see clearly that it's a wire?

CBS news special on reincarnation.

Reporter: So this boy, with no knowledge of who this WWII pilot was and with no previous knowledge of what reincarnation is, believes he is this pilot reincarnated AND knows all sorts of things about the pilot that he could not possibly know.

Well, yeah, excerpt for omitting a few details like that the boy's grandmother was a reincarnation fanatic, was constantly indoctrinating him into it and that he was fascinated with planes and went to the museum where there was a huge exhibit about the pilot and reams of information that he kept going back to and reading again and again.

Yeah, CBS News and "60 Minutes", real reliable sources of information.

The News Media really is biased though mostly in favor of ratings. See: the towering tower of garbage formerly known as the History Channel.

Edit: Okay, I skimmed and watched some of it. It's appropriate I mentioned the thing that used to be the History channel because I can find *exactly" this kind of vague innuendo on that disaster. In fact, this had the same smell of snake oil salesman BS that permeates the used to be history channel.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 05-17-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.