Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Arachne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,419

    Default Does anyone else add X-men to their games?

    When I play various games I often make characters based on the X-men, and I wondered if anyone else did that? I created 8 of of the New Mutants for Sims 4, for example, and these days I'm playing Ironsworn: Starforged (a solo, or not, table top rpg) and using various x-characters as inspiration.

    Any of you guys doing similar? And if so, how are you using the characters?

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    lol, I just started playing Phantasy Star II (from 1990!) for some retro gaming. I never played it before but looked up the playable character sheets, and so I've been aiming to rename them after X-Men for personality or other characteristics. The lead (Rolf) is Scott, the valiant blond heavy hitter (Rudo) is Alex, the healer Amy is Doc (for Dr. Reyes), etc. The only real problem is that the game is so limited that characters can only have up to 4-letter names, hence why Shir is Dane and not Lorna.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    lol, I just started playing Phantasy Star II (from 1990!) for some retro gaming. I never played it before but looked up the playable character sheets, and so I've been aiming to rename them after X-Men for personality or other characteristics. The lead (Rolf) is Scott, the valiant blond heavy hitter (Rudo) is Alex, the healer Amy is Doc (for Dr. Reyes), etc. The only real problem is that the game is so limited that characters can only have up to 4-letter names, hence why Shir is Dane and not Lorna.
    That's awesome, the Phantasy Star tetralogy is classic. II and IV vie for the top, but the other two are good in their own right.

    I tend to only do this when the setting works for me - if the game takes place in a fantasy setting based on Japanese or Norse mythology or something I won't go naming the characters Scott or Jean or anything like that.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Arachne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    lol, I just started playing Phantasy Star II (from 1990!) for some retro gaming. I never played it before but looked up the playable character sheets, and so I've been aiming to rename them after X-Men for personality or other characteristics. The lead (Rolf) is Scott, the valiant blond heavy hitter (Rudo) is Alex, the healer Amy is Doc (for Dr. Reyes), etc. The only real problem is that the game is so limited that characters can only have up to 4-letter names, hence why Shir is Dane and not Lorna.
    Very cool. Although now I want to get my old game systems out...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    That's awesome, the Phantasy Star tetralogy is classic. II and IV vie for the top, but the other two are good in their own right.

    I tend to only do this when the setting works for me - if the game takes place in a fantasy setting based on Japanese or Norse mythology or something I won't go naming the characters Scott or Jean or anything like that.
    Oh, yeah, it's got to be thematically appropriate, though I might change the name but keep the personality, if it's possible. Starforged is SF so no problem there.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Terra
    Posts
    1,546

    Default

    Definitely. A few years ago, I did a Wood Elf in Skyrim named LeBeau that I had join the Thieves Guild. I need to go back and make a Rogue as well. Not sure what I would do for that character, though. Probably vampire.
    Make Good Art

  6. #6
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    23,124

    Default

    Nope, not unless its a superhero based game like DC Universe Online

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member Paragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    107

    Default

    If I can design the appearance, I'll always make them into a character from either comics or another game series, like Persona. The last one I did was in Pokemon Shield, where I made my character into Wolfsbane since I'd been reading the New Mutants omnibus. I also recall making Kate Pryde in Pokemon X, Magik in Skyrim, Layla Miller in Fallout 4, and Mercury in Fallout 3.
    Last edited by Paragon; 05-17-2021 at 04:21 PM.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post

    I tend to only do this when the setting works for me - if the game takes place in a fantasy setting based on Japanese or Norse mythology or something I won't go naming the characters Scott or Jean or anything like that.
    For me, there's so many variations and universes (like 1602, Demon Days, or even 616 like Morgan Le fay and Kulan Gath) that most scenarios work for me for immersion.

    On a side, I've also done this for Final Fantasy Tactics and base their powers accordingly, to the point where I just outright call the team as the X-Men when the fight starts.

    You can't rename characters in Fire Emblem but the controllable squads are almost neatly divided by their narrative roles: the outlaws (X-Men), the kingdom's champions (the Avengers), the young upstarts (the Champions), etc.
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-17-2021 at 04:28 PM.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2,350

    Default

    I've named a team in Worms after some X-Men. They die so often, it's quite fitting...

    Otherwise if it fits an rpg, sometimes.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 05-17-2021 at 04:35 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

    “Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

  10. #10
    Incredible Member seccruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    When I play various games I often make characters based on the X-men, and I wondered if anyone else did that? I created 8 of of the New Mutants for Sims 4, for example, and these days I'm playing Ironsworn: Starforged (a solo, or not, table top rpg) and using various x-characters as inspiration.

    Any of you guys doing similar? And if so, how are you using the characters?
    Every chance I get. Saints Row IV has a Southern voice and I use Rogue in that (no white streak, so hoodie), One Punch Man let me create Rogue with a streak, so I was happy.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

  11. #11
    Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Ha ha! Great post! I've been known to make some rather obvious Alts on my Warcraft account.




  12. #12
    Mighty Member Arachne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Wow, those are great! And that outfit's not so different from what Shatterstar was wearing in X-Factor #9.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Terra
    Posts
    1,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I've named a team in Worms after some X-Men. They die so often, it's quite fitting...

    Otherwise if it fits an rpg, sometimes.
    Oh I forgot about Worms! I did the same thing!
    Make Good Art

  14. #14
    Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Wow, those are great! And that outfit's not so different from what Shatterstar was wearing in X-Factor #9.
    Thanks! 'Star's a low-level Paladin so I can't really fine-tune his armor too much. Most of the time I take off the armor and run him shirtless. Blood Elves are notorious show-offs and it fits his character. LOL

  15. #15
    Incredible Member Alex.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    568

    Default

    I've created Celeste Cuckoo for BDO
    Last edited by Alex.; 05-17-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •