Extraordinary Member

Default Jasper vs Tai Lung

Jasper from Steven Universe vs Tai Lung from Kung Fu Panda.

Which one wins?

Hmmm... I'd give the win to Jasper.

Tai Lung, from what I know, only really (maybe) has the speed advantage over Jasper, and even then it's not exactly enough to leave Jasper unable to tag him. Jasper, on the other hand, has the strength, durability, stamina, and experience advantage over Tai Lung.

Tai Lung can't even use his pressure point combat on Jasper, as she doesn't have pressure points due to being a gemstone whose "body" is a hard-light construct in the shape of an orange humanoid female. And I doubt he'd learn he needs to shatter her gemstone to defeat her before she overpowers him and beats him into submission.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Hmmm... I'd give the win to Jasper.

Tai Lung, from what I know, only really (maybe) has the speed advantage over Jasper, and even then it's not exactly enough to leave Jasper unable to tag him. Jasper, on the other hand, has the strength, durability, stamina, and experience advantage over Tai Lung.

Tai Lung can't even use his pressure point combat on Jasper, as she doesn't have pressure points due to being a gemstone whose "body" is a hard-light construct in the shape of an orange humanoid female. And I doubt he'd learn he needs to shatter her gemstone to defeat her before she overpowers him and beats him into submission.
    I've got essentially nothing to add to this summation.

Tai Lung has skill on her, he's much more of a technical fighter but he's much easier to hurt and a lot of his stuff flatly won't make an impact on her.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I think shattering gems would probably count as common knowledge. But Jasper's helmet covers her gem, and she takes hits to the face (where her gem is) from Garnet without damage. And Tai Lung is no Garnet for striking power.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think shattering gems would probably count as common knowledge. But Jasper's helmet covers her gem, and she takes hits to the face (where her gem is) from Garnet without damage. And Tai Lung is no Garnet for striking power.
    I looked back through her first fight with Steven in the Future series.

She takes, effectively, a much more extremely version of what Tai Lung took in his fight with Po (a sequence of hits that left him dazed and barely on his feat) and she literally laughs at it and is completely unhurt.

Dude smacked her through a significant chunk of forest, smacked her into the air, did a Maximum Spider and then smacked her into the ground with such force it left a body shaped crater almost exactly the same as Tai Lung had against Po. After all that, she dusts herself off and is like "haha, nice, I didn't think you had it in you,"

He is going to have a dickens of a time hurting her significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I looked back through her first fight with Steven in the Future series.

She takes, effectively, a much more extremely version of what Tai Lung took in his fight with Po (a sequence of hits that left him dazed and barely on his feat) and she literally laughs at it and is completely unhurt.

Dude smacked her through a significant chunk of forest, smacked her into the air, did a Maximum Spider and then smacked her into the ground with such force it left a body shaped crater almost exactly the same as Tai Lung had against Po. After all that, she dusts herself off and is like "haha, nice, I didn't think you had it in you,"

He is going to have a dickens of a time hurting her significantly.
    Yeah, and her Sonic rush drilled an opponed through, what, 100 feet of stone spaceship material like it was water?

She also basically laughed off Amythest's best whip strikes, and Amythest uses that whip to slice through metal drills and toss boulders around.

Honestly, we should have more Steven Universe rumbles, they are respectable power houses. Though Steven himself is a hard one because his powers flucuate based on his emotions a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I don't think so. There are no Gem-like beings in the Kung Fu Panda universe, and I don't think its common knowledge even in the SU universe (outside the Gem race) that shattering the gem basically 'kills' or at the least 'incapacitates' the Gem.

He'd probably think it's a weird piece of decoration/hiding a disfiguring injury on Jasper.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

03. Basic knowledge: Each side receives basic knowledge of the other. A good measure of this would be what the general population of the character's homeworld knows. For example, that Superman has a weakness to Kryptonite is general knowledge, but that he's Clark Kent is not.

Jasper's homeworld is Homeworld, where that is common knowledge. The basic knowledge rule serves no purpose if it only gives Tai Lung knowledge of HIS world.

Furthermore, other ruling have gone onto specify that it includes the basic knowledge of the people who are aware of the character all. Specifically, most people in Marvel aren't aware of the existence of Mr. Sinister, but common knowledge on him includes he's a hard to kill swiss army knife.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 05-18-2021 at 11:48 AM.