Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Ten years after Smallville ended, what is your opinion on it?

Apparently this week marks the 10 year anniversary of the ending of Smallville. In that spirit, I thought I would ask what everyone's take on it has been in the years since. I feel like some of the events of the last few years kind of hurt it. Between Allison Mack going to prison to COIE stripping Clark of his powers (and essentially destroying his world) it feels like it didn't quite get the "happy ending" it should have. But it is still one of my favorite adaptations of Superman ever. I like the fact that it was the first live action appearance for a lot of characters who might otherwise not have gotten one. Like Zatanna and the JSA. We wouldn't have the Arrow-verse without it. The showrunners even said so. In fact, Arrow was supposedly supposed to be a Green Arrow spinoff but they couldn't make it work. The spinoff comic was one of the best Superman books of any kind. Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling made jokes about doing an animated spinoff. Which I would totally watch! What is your take?
    Assassinate Putin!

I thought it was a fun show and it came out at the right for me. I was in high school so this was what I needed.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

it hasn't aged well.i loved lois,lex and green arrow.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

As great as Welling is in the role, I struggled to watch the show after Rosenbaum left and never did finish it. I don’t think the show ever reached the same highs without him, and my favorite episodes tend to be the Lex-centric ones like Shattered, Asylum, Memoria and Fracture.

Still, Smallville is one of my favorite Superman adaptations, even if CW Clark himself doesn’t really make a good *Superman*. He’s too selfish—it felt off to me when he would repeatedly decline joining the Justice League in favor of playing domestic bliss with Lana, or when he was happy losing his powers because it meant he’d be free of the burden of responsibility. But at the same time, he was also the lonely kid that never had birthday parties because his parents were too scared of what would happen. It made sense that he desperately wanted to fit in. This flawed Clark was certainly the most relatable Clark to me.

I’d definitely be up for an animated continuation with both Welling and Rosenbaum on board. Make it happen, DC!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    As great as Welling is in the role, I struggled to watch the show after Rosenbaum left and never did finish it. I don’t think the show ever reached the same highs without him, and my favorite episodes tend to be the Lex-centric ones like Shattered, Asylum, Memoria and Fracture.

Still, Smallville is one of my favorite Superman adaptations, even if CW Clark himself doesn’t really make a good *Superman*. He’s too selfish—it felt off to me when he would repeatedly decline joining the Justice League in favor of playing domestic bliss with Lana, or when he was happy losing his powers because it meant he’d be free of the burden of responsibility. But at the same time, he was also the lonely kid that never had birthday parties because his parents were too scared of what would happen. It made sense that he desperately wanted to fit in. This flawed Clark was certainly the most relatable Clark to me.

I’d definitely be up for an animated continuation with both Welling and Rosenbaum on board. Make it happen, DC!
    That's something i like about smallville clark.His entire motive ain't saving things.He isn't some messianic figure from space.Although the last episode screamed of that with lex and clark talking.Clark going "Sorry i couldn't save you" was bad.When given a chance he would choose to be a simple farmer.His powers were fake.It's why the crisis story so apt.Here is a guy who always had to trip over some rock from space,gaining strength as a man through work.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Functions as an interesting Elseworlds, but doesn't really work as a proper Superman origin story. Produced the best onscreen Lex Luthor and Lois Lane of all time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El