Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Ten years after Smallville ended, what is your opinion on it?

Apparently this week marks the 10 year anniversary of the ending of Smallville. In that spirit, I thought I would ask what everyone's take on it has been in the years since. I feel like some of the events of the last few years kind of hurt it. Between Allison Mack going to prison to COIE stripping Clark of his powers (and essentially destroying his world) it feels like it didn't quite get the "happy ending" it should have. But it is still one of my favorite adaptations of Superman ever. I like the fact that it was the first live action appearance for a lot of characters who might otherwise not have gotten one. Like Zatanna and the JSA. We wouldn't have the Arrow-verse without it. The showrunners even said so. In fact, Arrow was supposedly supposed to be a Green Arrow spinoff but they couldn't make it work. The spinoff comic was one of the best Superman books of any kind. Michael Rosenbaum and Tom Welling made jokes about doing an animated spinoff. Which I would totally watch! What is your take?
    Assassinate Putin!

I thought it was a fun show and it came out at the right for me. I was in high school so this was what I needed.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

it hasn't aged well.i loved lois,lex and green arrow.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

As great as Welling is in the role, I struggled to watch the show after Rosenbaum left and never did finish it. I don’t think the show ever reached the same highs without him, and my favorite episodes tend to be the Lex-centric ones like Shattered, Asylum, Memoria and Fracture.

Still, Smallville is one of my favorite Superman adaptations, even if CW Clark himself doesn’t really make a good *Superman*. He’s too selfish—it felt off to me when he would repeatedly decline joining the Justice League in favor of playing domestic bliss with Lana, or when he was happy losing his powers because it meant he’d be free of the burden of responsibility. But at the same time, he was also the lonely kid that never had birthday parties because his parents were too scared of what would happen. It made sense that he desperately wanted to fit in. This flawed Clark was certainly the most relatable Clark to me.

I’d definitely be up for an animated continuation with both Welling and Rosenbaum on board. Make it happen, DC!

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    As great as Welling is in the role, I struggled to watch the show after Rosenbaum left and never did finish it. I don’t think the show ever reached the same highs without him, and my favorite episodes tend to be the Lex-centric ones like Shattered, Asylum, Memoria and Fracture.

Still, Smallville is one of my favorite Superman adaptations, even if CW Clark himself doesn’t really make a good *Superman*. He’s too selfish—it felt off to me when he would repeatedly decline joining the Justice League in favor of playing domestic bliss with Lana, or when he was happy losing his powers because it meant he’d be free of the burden of responsibility. But at the same time, he was also the lonely kid that never had birthday parties because his parents were too scared of what would happen. It made sense that he desperately wanted to fit in. This flawed Clark was certainly the most relatable Clark to me.

I’d definitely be up for an animated continuation with both Welling and Rosenbaum on board. Make it happen, DC!
    That's something i like about smallville clark.His entire motive ain't saving things.He isn't some messianic figure from space.Although the last episode screamed of that with lex and clark talking.Clark going "Sorry i couldn't save you" was bad.When given a chance he would choose to be a simple farmer.His powers were fake.It's why the crisis story so apt.Here is a guy who always had to trip over some rock from space,gaining strength as a man through work.

Functions as an interesting Elseworlds, but doesn't really work as a proper Superman origin story. Produced the best onscreen Lex Luthor and Lois Lane of all time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Functions as an interesting Elseworlds, but doesn't really work as a proper Superman origin story. Produced the best onscreen Lex Luthor and Lois Lane of all time.
    My take as well. I’m still very fond of it as it ran throughout my childhood and played a role in shaping my fandom of Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'd also give it credit for creating a cool new character in Chloe Sullivan, its just unfortunate that in recent years, the legacy of that character has been tarnished via the eventual actions of the actress who helped create her.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Favourite part of that superman is that:he hated wearing the glasses,The stupid act,the stupid costume and having idiotic powers that were not earned or always made him trip over.He hated the "Destiny" nonesense shoved down his throught by his Parents.The "I decide my fate" thing rang through.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-17-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I was doing a "skippable viewing order" watch of Smallville with a pair of students of mine and the show really holds up when you strip away the week to week treading water that these teen soap operas have to do. However, everyone, including me, kinda lost enthusiasm for it with the second season finale that has Clark make a series of catastrophic decisions egged on by the shows pointlessly dickish Jor-El AI.

The Rosenbaum/Glover stuff is absolute gold though. This is, by a wide margin, the best origin story that Luthor's ever had. For Clark, though? The longer the show stretched on, the less Superman-ish he felt to me.

Tom Welling was a great young Clark, but he never really pulled off adult Clark. Erica Durrance was great as Lois though, despite some truly abysmal writing at times.

It holds a special place in my heart, Tom Welling was my Superman growing up.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The only seasons I rewatch are usually the metropolis seasons, I always found those seasons such a upgrade of anything else in the show and it's hard to go back to the older days. Also, the show still had the best clark and lois romance we ever got on screen.

Retired

It's not ten years for me. I finished rewatching it just last year and did a whole thread on my rewatch. It's a lot like LOIS & CLARK.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The only seasons I rewatch are usually the metropolis seasons, I always found those seasons such a upgrade of anything else in the show and it's hard to go back to the older days. Also, the show still had the best clark and lois romance we ever got on screen.
    Yeah me too, and some of season 4. Hard disagree with the oerdon saying that the show lost quality when Lex left, it actual became better because it was at the same time that they started granting greator focus to Clark and Lois and the Daily Planet. I'm quite bias though because it was the first thing that made me love Superman after the 1978 film. I never liked the animted show has a kid.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Overall I still like it. I rewatched it over the winter and the first three seasons and the last two hold up pretty well. Best live action Kents,Lex Luthor and Lois Lane by far. Also Steven Amell was fine as Green Arrow,but I actually like Justin Hartley's version better.

Tom was a fine Clark. Its the writing that sometimes let him down.

Looking back,I wish Lana Lang had died or left the show around Season 3,that Jonathan Kent had stuck around until Season 7,and that Clark started operating with a duel identity (glasses and such) when he joined the Daily Planet in Season 8.

Oh yeah,and none of the "Henry James Olsen" nonsense. He was and should have been just Jimmy Olsen and he should not have been killed off in such a brainless manner. It's the only thing about the show to this day that hacks me off.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.