Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I kind of dipped in and out of the show depending on if characters from the comics were actually going to show up, but I got pretty invested in the last few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I assume you mean on blu-ray? Because they released it on DVD.

However, it's unlikely they'll ever release the complete series on blu ray.
    Yep but I didn’t buy the Complete Collection when it came out, so I can’t get it now without paying an exorbitant amount of money. Would be nice to see a rerelease, maybe for 2023 since that’s his 83rd?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Oh gosh, I was 11 when this series came out. Time flies. Overall, I think it's a mediocre show at best, but I have such a fondness for it that I hardly care.

I think, like most long-running CW series, it would be so much better if you gave it the DBZ Kai treatment and cut out 50% of its content. There's some great stuff in there, among all the teen drama and the, at times, truly awful writing. Same as other people have said, Smallville Lex and Lois were among my favorite versions of those characters ever. The stuff with Lex was...bloated and repetitive and I totally get why Rosenbaum felt how he did--BUT when it was good, it was gold. Smallville proved that Lex Luthor can be a really compelling villain or antihero, and it's a shame Hollywood still hasn't caught onto what the CW figured out in 2001. And Lois was delightful, I loved her. The Clark/Lois getting together wasn't done well (Clark: 'Lana's made of Kryptonite guess I'll be in love with Lois now'), but their chemistry and the early days of their bickering was a fun, fresh take on them. (Oh god, Kryptonite Lana was the stupidest--when they were fighting Zod, they didn't think to shoot her a text?? She's made of kryptonite.)

Also, in the age of Arrowverse I find Smallville's Green Arrow refreshingly fun on the rewatch (not saying Arrowverse is bad, just that it was nice to have a funny Oliver, I miss it). And they had a surprisingly great Metallo. And I gotta say, I loved the Kents (even though Martha's story got...really weird at the end). I preferred Welling's young Clark, he got pretty stiff later on, but the whole 'young Clark growing up on a farm' aspects of the show could be really charming. Could have done without all the Sexy Teen Drama, but oh well.

All in all, I loved it as a kid/teenager, and it's a still a guilty pleasure now. And when I Marie Kondo-ed my apartment, I kept the Smallville DVDs because they do indeed spark joy.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep but I didn’t buy the Complete Collection when it came out, so I can’t get it now without paying an exorbitant amount of money. Would be nice to see a rerelease, maybe for 2023 since that’s his 83rd?
    I lucked out a couple years back when my local FYE was going out of business and they still had a few of these marked down to around 100 dollars. I already had the individual dvd sets, but a couple of the season 6 and 7 discs had suddenly stopped working (a victim of the infamous WB disc defective issue circa 2005-2008. My Superman complete film collection DVD set also befell the same fate) ,so I splurged on it. It is a really handsome set. I wish I bought 2 then,one to keep sealed and one to use.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 06-02-2021 at 07:26 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I loved the first 3 seasons of Smallville. They were great! Best Lex Luthor ever and his origin was great. I rooted for him most of the time. After season 3 it got bad and then worse and worse. I still think they should have ended it at season 4 and then brought these actors, characters and to Superman movies. It would have been great.

Incredible Member

I'm always more of a Superman than a young Clark Kent fan. It is important for his development,
    but still I want him as a grown up man, than living through the high school years.

The show went through many different stages. The early part of the show was heavy into
    Smallville High, with stories being locally focused. It had a strong Kansas feel. Over time it
    evolved, bringing in more of the DC universe. The results of that were fairly mixed.

I think the show improved a lot when Clois came to be a focus. There is something about
    Lois Lane after all. The show gave us a taste of them being together. I accepted it on its
    own merits. But my own head canon will always be Lois the seasoned reporter, meets a pretty
    green Clark who is captivated by her from the beginning. Not someone who has known her after
    several meetings in Smallville. I think in some ways Smallville enters this world, where elements
    seem very much part of the story, while others feel like an Elseworld.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Sure...it was a fun show but when you go 10 years and have Clark not become Superman...it's awkward. Everyone is suiting up around him and it doesnt make much sense. I know Tom refused but it's something that as an actor he would've had to deal with.

Hah glad they’re putting out a rerelease earlier than I thought. I’ve got preordered so I won’t be missing out this time. Personally I almost admire how committed Welling is to never wearing the suit. Anyone else would’ve jumped at the chance but not him lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

There's a complete series box set coming out next month https://smile.amazon.com/Smallville-...s%2C204&sr=1-1

Astonishing Member

It didn't know when to end. It should've ended right before the first time they dodged calling him Superman, but had him put on the S and started saving people anyway using a ridiculous name.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It didn't know when to end. It should've ended right before the first time they dodged calling him Superman, but had him put on the S and started saving people anyway using a ridiculous name.
    I don't like the Blur--sounds too much like a Flash wannabe--but the Red and Blue Blur was used in the comics well before the T.V. show and it works as an alliterative epithet. I'm a sucker for such sobriquets.

Ultimate Member

It was amazing at it's best, and utter schlock at it's worst. Hard to judge it, since it varied so widely.

I loved Lex and Lionel, Lois and Chloe, whoever played Green Arrow, Aquaman, etc. Others, well, not everyone can be my favorite. Looking at you, Lana.

"Did you know my parents were crushed by a meteor? 'Cause it's only been brought up like *seven times* this first season..."

I think without it paving the way, we'd have never gotten Arrow, the Flash, etc.

And that intro song, 'Somebody Save Me,' so catchy that tiny snippet, and so bad, the entire song...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It was amazing at it's best, and utter schlock at it's worst. Hard to judge it, since it varied so widely.

I loved Lex and Lionel, Lois and Chloe, whoever played Green Arrow, Aquaman, etc. Others, well, not everyone can be my favorite. Looking at you, Lana.

"Did you know my parents were crushed by a meteor? 'Cause it's only been brought up like *seven times* this first season..."

I think without it paving the way, we'd have never gotten Arrow, the Flash, etc.

And that intro song, 'Somebody Save Me,' so catchy that tiny snippet, and so bad, the entire song...
    I wasn't bothered by Lana but do think there were issues with how the writers handled her and Clark's relationship (largely on his end).

The beginning of the series was a bit too much Teen-drama for my tastes. By the end of it, they had a weird mismatched tone where they wanted to bring in everything from the DC Universe in full costume, but didn't want to have Superboy grow up to be Superman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The beginning of the series was a bit too much Teen-drama for my tastes. By the end of it, they had a weird mismatched tone where they wanted to bring in everything from the DC Universe in full costume, but didn't want to have Superboy grow up to be Superman.
    Yep. Exactly my problem.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.