Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't like the Blur--sounds too much like a Flash wannabe--but the Red and Blue Blur was used in the comics well before the T.V. show and it works as an alliterative epithet. I'm a sucker for such sobriquets.
    Hah I’ve been saying that one of the Flash Family members should take Blur as their code name.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

How dare Smallville have the best Secret Identity Reveal Scene of All Time and ruin it by calling Superman "the Blur" the whole time!?

That's pretty much my hot take on Smallville.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

This show was pretty good. Except for I never liked the pick for Clark kent. He seemed too aloof and stuck up and dumb to play SM. And his post Smallville career plays that opinion out.
    Last edited by gwhh; 10-07-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Retired

People can be so mean.

I think they were extremely lucky to get Tom Welling. He must've been about 24 years old when the series started, but he could pull off playing a teen--maybe not a 14 year old (which in the crazy timeline must be the case for the first season retroactively) but a 16 or 17 year old. And he looked like a young Christopher Reeve. For actors that age, it's their prime moment to get into movies and make a play for stardom. I think Welling could have had a reasonable movie career, yet he stayed with SMALLVILLE. And he was able to look the part even when he was very much older than the character he was playing.

I respect an actor who put in the work on a long-running series and didn't ditch when he thought he might have a shot at a big Hollywood career.

I came into contact with the show on the season Lois was introduced and around the time of some sort of Kryptonian body snatcher plot where Clark somehow subjugated by a desire to colonize earth. Loved the boxed set and a number of the choices made in the Season 11 comic were actually better than what was happening in the books

I thought it was just okay. The writing could have been better. They had some good actors at times tho.
    The J-man

The reason Lois/Erica wasn't on much till Season 10 was because of DC. They limited the use of the character of Lois. Erica was originally supposed to be a guest star just for a few episodes but was so popular she stuck around

I hated it too that they couldn't do a lot more with her given the restrictions they had on her. Also DC placed restrictions on Lois & Clark romance till later in the series too. No romance at all was what they were told in the beginning.

I think Lana should have left after Season 4. She was always useless and a total Mary Sue character. I hated Chloe with a passion. I hated they wrote Clark as HER sidekick and that he basically was helpless without her

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by chickymonkey View Post
    The reason Lois/Erica wasn't on much till Season 10 was because of DC. They limited the use of the character of Lois. Erica was originally supposed to be a guest star just for a few episodes but was so popular she stuck around

I hated it too that they couldn't do a lot more with her given the restrictions they had on her. Also DC placed restrictions on Lois & Clark romance till later in the series too. No romance at all was what they were told in the beginning.

I think Lana should have left after Season 4. She was always useless and a total Mary Sue character. I hated Chloe with a passion. I hated they wrote Clark as HER sidekick and that he basically was helpless without her
    I didn't know that Lois' appearance was being limited by the publisher. Why was that? It makes no sense to me. When I rewatched the whole series, this was one of the most frustrating things. As soon as Lois comes on the show, Erica is so good at playing the character, I wanted more more. And she appears in so few episodes.

Even when Lois wins Clark's affection, they write it in such a bad way--bringing back Lana but making it so Clark can never go near Lana again. So it's like Lois is his consolation prize rather than him seriously choosing Lois over Lana.

It was one of my favorite shows when it was on, but I have been staying away from it as the modern DC/Marvel shows are much better. I know there is no way it would hold up today because 1) even at the time I knew the monster of the week episodes were not as good as when Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the X-Files did that; 2) the actors range from superior (the Luthors + Martha/Jonathan Kent +Lois) to complete cringe (Clark, Lana, Chloe, and almost everyone else); 3) Red Kryptonite plots where everything reverts back to the status quo; 4) became a teen romance; 5) the show always had too many "rules" which I saw as limitations; 6) horrible continuity.

I confess I never was able to finish it as I thought it had jumped the shark around Season 5 or 6 [the show lost 800,000 viewers between 5 and 6, and never recovered, including losing 1.5 million between 8 and 9.] The injection of all of the other official DC heroes with crummy costumes was milked too long so I lost interest. The Luthors carried the entire earlier seasons. When their main run ended, so did the show.

And as much as I disliked Lana, she was indeed eye candy for me.
    Was cool to see Dr. Swann.
    Loved "Save Me" theme.
    Have good memories for a simpler time but the fact that it jumped the shark around halfway through its run prevents it from being ranked high for me.

Probably the reason why I like Superman. Like the concept of him learning his powers as he ages. Loved his red jacket not the one with his house of el logo but his basic red jacket and blue shirt combo. I still want to buy that red jacket so if anyone has a link I appreciate it. Loved lex and Lois. Great opening only complaint is not seeing Tom wear the Superman suit that was very lame and kinda disrespectful in my eyes
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

It's a show that still holds a special place in my heart. Love watching episodes again- especially with Lois in them. She definitely were a breath of fresh air.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The best part of the show for me was the guest and cameo appearances by actors like Serinda Swan, Lizzy Caplan, Amy Adams, Christina Milian, Sarah Carter, Ian Somerhalder, Justin Hartley, Jensen Ackles and many others.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Did Allison Mack ruin Smallville?:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-al...lvilles-legacy

This is a legitimate discussion to have IMO.
    Assassinate Putin!

The series lasted ... how much? Ten seasons? That is a milestone, for any series. And it did it without the need of any bat-appearances.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    The best part of the show for me was the guest and cameo appearances by actors like Serinda Swan, Lizzy Caplan, Amy Adams, Christina Milian, Sarah Carter, Ian Somerhalder, Justin Hartley, Jensen Ackles and many others.
    Man, I had forgotten Justin Hartley. Between him and Stephen Amell, they've cast some great Green Arrows! (I saw some of the canned pilot for Mercy Reef, where he was cast to play Aquaman, but it was a bad copy, and I couldn't even tell you if it was any good...)