Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

This is not a surprise and another sign that movies are moving away from theaters and towards streaming direct to customers business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Amazon is in talks to buy MGM for $9 billion

Honestly this is a bad deal imo there is nothing there that is going to recoup that money any time soon but in a world where everyone is talking back their content for streaming having your own exclusive a library of things can't hurt. James Bond and Stargate look to be the crown jewels of the deal.
    I thought The Handmaid’s Tale was Hulu?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I thought The Handmaid’s Tale was Hulu?
    It is on Hulu, but MGM produces it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I feel like we should have had WalmartTV by now. I wonder if that's around the corner, too...
    I could see that. Something like the Hallmark Channel. Family friendly low budget fare.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    This is not a surprise and another sign that movies are moving away from theaters and towards streaming direct to customers business model.
    You realize that they are thinking of purchasing old movies that had their run in theaters long ago, and weren't going to return to the theaters, right? I don't see the connection between this and your stance on the doom of theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I could see that. Something like the Hallmark Channel. Family friendly low budget fare.
    Not to be outdone: Targét.

Not to be outdone: Targét.
    Costco+ welcomes you!

BANNED

You realize that they are thinking of purchasing old movies that had their run in theaters long ago, and weren't going to return to the theaters, right? I don't see the connection between this and your stance on the doom of theaters.
    The key phase is “long ago”

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    What, no love for an antiquated celebration like Seven brothers for seven brides. It's wild that at one time for a long time MGM produced the biggest spectacles in movies for years. Technicolor marvels of production, fast forward several decades now this deal hinges on what could be done with... Robocop? Isn't the price tag on this like double what I feel it should be, at least that's what my sofa entertainment lawyer degree tells me. Bond is the breadwinner here and unless the Rocky franchise moves into MMA this is little more than a horde of property. Then too, what else is Bezos gonna spend money on, he'll scratch this check out and not have to even be seen doing it.

This.

HBO Max has the Turner stuff but it's only a fraction of what I feel is available to put out. Especially since TCM is showing movies from the 90s at this point.

I agree that $9 billion is too much to spend on MGM as it is right now. Since Ted Turner owns the pre-May 1986 MGM library and it's now controlled by Warner Bros., all the really great stuff that MGM made in the Golden Age of Hollywood (and, yes, I do consider Seven Brides for Seven Brothers to be one of these) is not part of the Amazon purchase. MGM now doesn't even own Tom and Jerry! The only reason MGM owns Rocky is because MGM bought United Artists, where Rocky was produced.

Just because Amazon has money to burn that doesn't mean they should burn it. They have an obligation to their shareholders to value the deal properly, and I'm not getting how it totals $9 billion.

BANNED

We are at the beginning of Stream Wars

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Pink Panther is MGM, right? That series is ripe for the reboot treatment. In film and in animation.

Costco+ welcomes you!
    Dollar Tree TV is gonna be awesome. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Pink Panther is MGM, right? That series is ripe for the reboot treatment. In film and in animation.
    It's already being planned

https://movieweb.com/amp/pink-panthe...r-jeff-fowler/

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    The key phase is “long ago”
    No, the key phrase is "what the hell?" You realize that just because they might be buying old movies from long ago, new movies were doing well before covid. Like, where is your connection between old movies, and how Hollywood is doing now? How are they connected?

Dollar Tree TV is gonna be awesome. lol
    Hey. I'd watch that!

What, I love shopping at the Dollar Tree...