Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Most movies wasn’t doing well before covid and box office attendance has been going down each year since 2002.
    Steaming is taking over, this why we have been seeing these mergers in the last few years. Disney buys 21C to build for Disney+, Discovery and Warner are merging to build a streaming giant, now Amazon will buy MGM for its rich library.
    The blockbusters, which is where the bulk of the films that matter, were doing well. And there were more blockbusters than ever before. Yes, building up their streaming service is important, but your leap to theaters are good as dead from that is, well, a leap. A big leap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The difference is MGM is just a library of old movies. The other 2 include rights to potential blockbusters. Its really apples and oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Those things that you mention aren't even remotely close to the same thing,Arguably The X-men franchise by itself is worth around 9 billion dollars, Superman or Batman is worth around 9 billion dollars. MGM has nothing that is going to make 9 billion dollars or view with the potential to make back that money. Their collective of films is not impressive because nobody cares about them bunch of old black and white stuff isn't that helpful today

Again Marvel and Lucas sold for 4 Billion. MGM isn't on the level of those things, FoX and WB were full media empires. Disney couldn't get Fox Sports because it would have a clear monopoly. 9 Billion is not cheap
    I’m not in complete disagreement with both of you. Obviously 21C and WB have more to offer, which is why they were purchased for almost 10 times more than MGM. That’s why $9 billion is a fair price.
    What I do disagree is with is MGM library is much more than old black and white stuff that nobody cares about. Go to the MGM website and check out their library. You’ll be surprised of what’s there and there is a lot of new and recent popular films and popular television shows.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-20-2021 at 09:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The difference is MGM is just a library of old movies. The other 2 include rights to potential blockbusters. Its really apples and oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    21st Century Fox had the following properties that made the deal very pricy :

X-Men
    Fantastic Four
    Aliens
    Predator
    Die Hard

Disney also bought the TV and animation studio as well. So they locked in Family Guy , Simpsons and other Fox animated cartoons. TV wise Disney now owns various TV properties.

M.A.S.H
    LA LAW
    Modern Family
    Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The list goes on and its BIG. There is a reason why Fox was worth billions more. MGM isn't...its value isn't as big as Fox is right now.
    Obviously there has been a misunderstanding here.
    No one has said nor implied 20th Century Fox and MGM are of equal value

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This list details the films that Amazon could be buying more or less. Its everything after May 1986. (as the pre-May 1986 film library is owned by Turner)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...yn-Mayer_films

What is wild , is MGM would have had a film library stretching back to the 1920's had they not sold the library to Turner then. With a number of classic films (The Champ , Grand Hotel etc) through those years.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not so much...

Stop, and seriously consider what just went down.

If streaming is indeed the golden egg that you are saying?

Why did AT&T just unload it? Why wouldn't they keep it all for themselves?
    AT&T just didn’t unload Warner, their are getting billions off of this. Plus AT&T shareholders will own 71% of the new company, technically AT&T will be involved in the new company at some capacity. It’s not a total divestment. This deal provides a streaming giant to compete with Netflix, Amazon and Disney+.
    Last edited by luprki; 05-20-2021 at 12:34 PM.

BANNED

MGM film library consist of 4,000 films
    https://www.indiewire.com/2021/05/am...gm-1234638339/

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    We can't be that far off a corporation just flat-out buying an entire country as a "fulfilment centre" by now, can we? Which would obviously be the most cyberpunk thing ever.
    Just wait till Disney buys off the US of A.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Just wait till Disney buys off the US of A.
    ...they haven't?

I’m not in complete disagreement with both of you. Obviously 21C and WB have more to offer, which is why they were purchased for almost 10 times more than MGM. That’s why $9 billion is a fair price.
    What I do disagree is with is MGM library is much more than old black and white stuff that nobody cares about. Go to the MGM website and check out their library. You’ll be surprised of what’s there and there is a lot of new and recent popular films and popular television shows.
    People DO care about the old stuff, and MGM was more famous for its Technicolor masterpieces than B&W stuff anyway.

I think we've all heard of Ben Hur, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone with the Wind among many other American movie classics.

In Hollywood's Golden Age, MGM was considered the crown jewel of the entertainment industry. However, that library is owned by Warner Bros. from their purchase of Ted Turner's company.

I'm not very impressed with MGM's post-1986 output as beyond James Bond and Hobbit are mostly cult-franchises.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    People DO care about the old stuff, and MGM was more famous for its Technicolor masterpieces than B&W stuff anyway.

I think we've all heard of Ben Hur, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone with the Wind among many other American movie classics.

In Hollywood's Golden Age, MGM was considered the crown jewel of the entertainment industry. However, that library is owned by Warner Bros. from their purchase of Ted Turner's company.

I'm not very impressed with MGM's post-1986 output as beyond James Bond and Hobbit are mostly cult-franchises.
    The list is up there. Wanna guess what the 1st film in the post MGM sale of films was that MGM owns from 1986 ? This is the 1st film New MGM in 1986 owned after the sale.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

I don’t know how the Turner deal worked out. According to the MGM site, MGM still owns pre-1986 Bond and Rocky films

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don’t know how the Turner deal worked out. According to the MGM site, MGM still owns pre-1986 Bond and Rocky films
    Rocky was originally distributed by United Artists before being brought out by MGM.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The list is up there. Wanna guess what the 1st film in the post MGM sale of films was that MGM owns from 1986 ? This is the 1st film New MGM in 1986 owned after the sale.

I think there were plans for more Poltergeist films to make it sort of an ongoing (If PGish) horror franchise like Nightmare/Friday/Saw etc, including a prequel dealing with Kane, but the death of Heather O' Rourke and III flopping pretty much put an end to that, although the Russos are eying another remake.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

While all the details aren't clear yet, this may put hundreds of hours of The Apprentice raw footage of Donald Trump under Amazon's ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    While all the details aren't clear yet, this may put hundreds of hours of The Apprentice raw footage of Donald Trump under Amazon's ownership.
    This is what I have heard. Colbert talked about it last night. Maybe why Bezos is overpaying.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!