Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Girl #1 - Discussion/Spoilers

Spoilers.

It’s here everybody!!!

I though it was a decent start. It was basically a setup for the series which is about what I expected, so it felt like a sneak peek of the upcoming story arcs in a lot of ways.

Also a lot of Amazon’s cameoed this issue, namely Nubia and Faruka. Hera was in it as well.

One thing I am confused about is when this takes place exactly since I though Hera (along with the Quintessence) died in Infinite Frontier, but that was in the epilogue so it’s possible her death takes place after this issue. I hope that gets explained and it’s just left there...

Also the art is amazing, but with Joelle Jones drawing that’s like saying water is wet.

I mean I think is definitely the usual first issue set up issue so I wouldn’t necessarily say expect too much but Jones makes this comic look gorgeous and the best parts are when you see the mundanity of it all mixed with the more fantastical side of things, seriously all the pages featuring Amazons, Olympus, and anything else fantastical are just gorgeous. Although it doesn’t seem like much I do like the implication that something about Yara’s very existence appears to be a potential threat to the various Amazons, which by the way still love queen Nubia.

By the way I’d be plenty concerned because last I checked all of Olympus got murdered by Darkseid’s Daughter in Wonder Woman...then again maybe the gods came back like Roy Harper in Infinite Frontier so who knows, I’ll just let Jones tell their story.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-18-2021 at 04:31 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Interesting Yara very much didn't like being called "girl." Will she end up being called Wonder Girl?

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. The art is pure perfection, and the story kept me very invested for an introduction.

A few thoughts:

- Isn't Hera dead? I can't keep up with non-Wondy titles but I remember she was killed by I think Darkseid recently?

- Loved seeing the Bana-Mighdall amazons again!

- A little surprised at no Donna Troy in the big splash page since Cassie was there.

- WHO IS THAT FIERCE ALLIGATOR WOMAN? Already one of my new favorites. Hope she's a glimpse of what's to come.

- Loved Yara brushing off that wannabe-influencer.

- Last page is absolutely stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    - WHO IS THAT FIERCE ALLIGATOR WOMAN? Already one of my new favorites. Hope she's a glimpse of what's to come.
    That's Cuca, one being of our folklore. The mermaid from the last page is called Iara, same name as Yara but with a I. She sings to attract men at night to kill them.

I liked this a lot.
    It's pretty wierd to recongnize the architeture of the city in a Comic book, especially me being from Rio, i don't remember having that experience before in a american comic book..
    Last edited by Drako; 05-18-2021 at 06:27 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    That's Cuca, one being of our folklore.
    OMG, I love it. I've seen gifs of this character before but never knew who she was. Cuca is fucking rad.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I knew Joelle Jones was a terrific artist but she’s turning out to be a pretty competent writer too, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Nubia looks absolutely gorgeous here, I believe she also appeared in the DC Festival of Heroes last week alongside Batman and Superman, just an fyi

Incredible Member

Loved it! Yara feels great. A fighter since the beginning but cheery and heroic in spite of tragedy and her style game is strong! Joelle Jones throws so much style and quirk and fun to Yara's expressions, body language/acting, and fashion.

To echo some others, I loved the spread page with Themyscira, the Bana and Mt.Olympus. Loving the distinction between the factions and their interest in Yara and it provides an organic way to heighten narrative stakes.

Two back to back weeks of in-continuity Wonder goodness. Thank Hera!

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Loved it! Yara feels great. A fighter since the beginning but cheery and heroic in spite of tragedy and her style game is strong! Joelle Jones throws so much style and quirk and fun to Yara's expressions, body language/acting, and fashion.

To echo some others, I loved the spread page with Themyscira, the Bana and Mt.Olympus. Loving the distinction between the factions and their interest in Yara and it provides an organic way to heighten narrative stakes.

Two back to back weeks of in-continuity Wonder goodness. Thank Hera!
    If you think that's great, wait till next month. 4 Wonder-verse issues!

I didn't expect to enjoy this Issue as much as I did. After Catwoman and Yara's second FS Issue I wasn't sure if Jones big two work would be for me, but this is a great second introduction to Yara.

I wonder if the characters that are "looking over her shoulder" were chosen with a story in mind or if the non-wondy non-yara characters are just present because Jones wanted to draw them. It's a shame Donna didn't make it.

While I'm also slightly confused about where this takes place, I don't care enough for it to bother me.

Im quite stoked!
    I really enjoyed this, alot of gorgeous art, and I find it fascinating that Hera is seemingly opposed to both tribes of Amazons.

Incredible Member

Very good first issue.

Nice seeing Bana-Mighdal and they at least mentioned Artemis even if we didn't see her.
    Really interested to see what exactly is going on with Olympus seeing as we got some apparently contradictory things going on. Hera apparently was killed in Infinite Frontier and the upcoming solicitations for Diana's book have all of Olympus getting wiped out. But they also have Diana trying to bring them all back.

Wonder Woman #774
    Olympus has fallen! With the kingdom of the gods in ruins, Wonder Woman finds that only two remain, wounded and abandoned by one of their own! The rest of the Olympians are dead and now it’s up to Diana to travel to the Graveyard of the Gods to recover their souls. Seems like even in the afterlife there is no rest for our hero. Will she ever be able to take her rightful place in the Greek pantheon? Or is she doomed to roam the realm for the rest of eternity?

Wonder Woman #775
    Welcome to the Graveyard of Gods, Wonder Woman…the Keeper of the Grounds anticipates your arrival!
    Many enter these hallowed grounds of the DCU, but none return to the world of the living. So how is Diana supposed to save herself, let alone a whole pantheon of gods? With her weapons rendered useless, she’ll have to find the key to victory within!

Wonder Woman #776
    They may look innocent, but the faeries of Elfhame have it in for Wonder Woman!
    What did Diana do to incur their wrath? Well, it may have something to do with the Roman god who has turned the Sphere of the Gods upside down in pursuit of power. Someone must pay for the damage they’ve caused, and Ratatosk could be the first if Diana doesn’t find him in time!
    So maybe Diana's Valhalla trip and the quest to revive the Olympians happens during Yara's plane ride and before when she arrives in Brazil? Either that or it has to nominally happen before Hera's death in infinite Frontier which means the death sequence happens later than thought? I'm also curious about what's up with Hera's weapon and her possibly attacking the Amazons and why.

Also I guess Zeus is alive again for some reason. I hope Aphrodite is alive too(she got killed by Cheetah back during the Year of the villain arc).

I guess Hera could also be Juno(her Roman counterpart) or, though I hate to remind anyone of Amazons Attack/Countdown, one of Darkseid's minions in disguise. Really hoping it's not this one, especially the later.

I enjoyed FS issues, but this was even better. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    By the way I’d be plenty concerned because last I checked all of Olympus got murdered by Darkseid’s Daughter in Wonder Woman...then again maybe the gods came back like Roy Harper in Infinite Frontier so who knows, I’ll just let Jones tell their story.
    I'm all for all things Grail related being removed from continuity.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It was a good first issue! I enjoyed it, very interested in the story...

I did have to laugh at a few things...when was the last time the Gods (esp Zeus) showed up in WW? I feel like New52 was the last time we saw him/Hera (who....Infinity is dead?) and Cassie getting the TINIEST panel in that splash page lol. Sure its nice to see her but come on....why are the likes of Nightwing/batman/Superman/Harley getting bigger exposure on that page than another Wonder?

Loved seeing all of the Amazon tribes, I thought all the Bana moved to Themiscryia? Guess thats not the case?

Definitely set up plenty of interesting stories Id like in a main Wonder Woman title. The world of the Amazons is already bigger than what we've gotten in what feels like FOREVER.

Also who was that grey guy with the burnt skin in the upper left panel of the group shot page?

I hope it's not the First Born...